Page 21 of 43 FirstFirst ... 11192021222331 ... LastLast

Thread: Legendary Liverpool Clubs Of Yesteryear.

Default Dancing in Liverpool

I went to Don Millington's School of Dancing on Walton Road and to another dance school on Bold Street to learn Latin American both in the late 50's.

My girl friend dumped me after an unfortunate accident and I started to go to Top Rank dancing at the Rialto Ballroom on Upper Parliament Street.

It was a magical place in memory: very plush with an expensive lighting system. Hal Graham was the band leader. The band played mostly Glen Miller covers. I used to jive and win competitions.

I couldn't afford to have a regular girl so I used to dance just one dance and move on. It was the best time of my life. I was in my early 20's. There were beauty contests sometimes.

There must be thousands of prople with the same memories. I'd love to hear from you. I still dance waltz and quickstep.

My mate didn't get a dance all night. I soon found out that his socks were humming so I told him to take them off, nobody would ever know and I bet he'd get a dance. The end of the night comes, the lights go on and there he is, sat in the corner - alone. After learning he'd still not had a dance, even after removing his socks we were flummexed until I asked him where he'd put his socks. 'Here, in my top pocket' he said.
    www.inacityliving.piczo.com/

Updated weekly with old and new pics.

Default DJ at the Krazy House amongst others

Talking of the Krazy House, Milos and before that Bradys which used to be Erics, I wonder if anyone remembers a certain DJ from those places that used to throw Opal Fruits and hand them out to people? It was me...i confess.

I found this today at work here in Denver which is where I ended up at and if anyone remembers me aka Garfield..please let me know. God I miss home.

I remember you getting the sack through lack of liquid sales as the sweets you were handing out were made to make your mouth water.
    www.inacityliving.piczo.com/

Updated weekly with old and new pics.

Pink Parrot
    Planet X
    Jodys
    Kirklands
    The State

They are where I grew up.

How about G-Love at the Mardi and the whole earthbeat thing?

Default SHE& the ASPIDISTRA ,PLAKA above shangri la

Quote Originally Posted by victorialush View Post
    Didn't the She club have something to do with ladies of the night?
    i didn't go to the she club at the time but knew bloke who used to dj there
    he used to tell of "cabaret "show or something on a certain day of the week which i thought was just a wind up .but perhaps someone who was a regular may elaborate more .
    there are a couple of other clubs no one has mentioned at all THE ASPIDISTRA saw davy jones in there(monkee)cant remember exactly where slater st area i think? there was also another 70's80's cluboff bedford st anyone know the name?
    after stunbling on this great forum / thread it really brings back memories of 70's liverpool to me .was there a club called black georges?(just found out it was a pub in dingle ?
    some of the pics on this thread posted earlier seem to be missing or no longer available is there any chance they ciould be re posted .
    anyone have memories of the greek club PLAKA or a picture of the plaka ?
    the plaka was above THE FUNG LOY REETAURANT NOW the shangri la in victoria street .someone must remember the staybehinds at the shandri la ?
    THE BEACHCOMER / BABALOU have fond memories remember when double duch was in charts they had a skipping compettion believe it or not
    i think i'll start collecting any pictures of 60's70's liverpool clubs .

the GLADRAY this was the first club / drinking place i visited poss 1978 .(once upon a time pubs shut in the afternoons )so in town with a mate we decided to or rather"dare" try the gladray as id seen it open when on the 86 bus to town .it was quite full .i was surprised it was just like a bommed out house with a bar, pool table and sixties formica kitchen type tables .
    as i rememder a guy at the entrance let us in free . some people before us had paid .it was quite dark inside.at the bar you paid first through a grill for pint it was then passed through by a barmaid with many homemade tattoos on her arms .later on she came round with a pint glass collecting money .this was a collection for her to do a strip to a record or two from their juke box .
    as my mate went to the bar to get a round in a rather tough looking girl
    just sat at the table and asked if i wanted to some kind of "business" for ?5.
    ...... i made my excuses and left
    Last edited by mossley; 10-27-2008 at 02:05 AM. Reason: add detail

Quote Originally Posted by Phil View Post
    Pink Parrot
    Planet X
    Jodys
    Kirklands
    The State

They are where I grew up.

How about G-Love at the Mardi and the whole earthbeat thing?
    Good grief man, I'd just about managed to rub Pink Parrot out of my memory

It became Red Zone for a couple of years (99/00) with techno night Voodoo... currently looking decidedly derelict.

I think there was a Planet X reunion recently at, er, Le Bateau (?)
    /Bob

The shanghai,,,,LOL

Quote Originally Posted by arrr_bob View Post
    Good grief man, I'd just about managed to rub Pink Parrot out of my memory

It became Red Zone for a couple of years (99/00) with techno night Voodoo... currently looking decidedly derelict.

I think there was a Planet X reunion recently at, er, Le Bateau (?)

Hah! The Pink Parrot
    Yeah the Planet-X had a reunion at Le Bateau in May and are planning more, see: http://www.myspace.com/planetx25threunion

I can't believe the stuff this thread is making me remember. The Parrot was always the start of our night. We'd always get ready at my flat and go from the Parrot to Planet X, then Jodys. I seem to remember that the dykes always played pool beneath the gents, and it leaked....a lot...

Snappys? Does anyone remember that?

My misspent youth
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Cards.JPG 
Views:	432 
Size:	117.1 KB 
ID:	8354  

Just thought id throw my 2ps worth in.
    I used to work on the door at the Pink Parrot (i was the one with red hair).In my time ive fell out of places like the State(mid 80s),Planet X (the original),didnt like it much after it closed/moved, although anyone else remember the Beach *******s last-night party?,Macmillians(off Bold st), Freewheelers/Nightriders,Wilsons, also drank in pubs like the Lisbon, the Newington, The Beehive, Rigbys, the White Star, and also as a last resort on a sunday was the Harrington....
    and Snappys on sundays,(one of the only places that saw me dance).. now there was a cool place..
    Last edited by mikkinho; 01-18-2009 at 07:11 PM.

Lordy this thread is bringing back memories! I spent most of my giro during the 80's in the Planet, State, Macs.... where I one spent a very drunken night after seeing Gary Glitter at the Royal Court entirely resplendent in purple spandex (me that is), and got off with a much younger man in a chicken suit.
    When not in spandex I often went out in the kind of outfits Christina Aguelliera would find too embarrassing to wear, with the biggest spiky hair in Chrisondom.
    Ahh, happy days.

Default ello

erm ello, would someone please reply so i know im in ! im 44yrs (well 45 next week) and i havent got a clue what a 'thread' is. but ive got loads of questions and lots to say about the pool cos its nice to be reminded that some of the things i seen back in the late 70s early 80s actually happened or did i dream them. i left in 85 and now in oz since 2000. god i miss the humour. thanks.

Page 21 of 43 FirstFirst ... 11192021222331 ... LastLast