Page 20 of 43 FirstFirst ... 10181920212230 ... LastLast

Thread: Legendary Liverpool Clubs Of Yesteryear.

First club,at 16('68),was the La Bamba in Prescot Rd.Then the Cavern,Mardi,She,Beechcomber,Babalou,Blue Angel,The Back of the Moon(Billy Butlers club after the Mardi)The Uni,Moonstone,Oscars,,Whispers,The Warehouse,Stairways(in Birkenhead)The Spinners club above Gregsons Well,The Folkways,above 'Lulus' and 'Charlies' aka the Blue Dolphin plus any pub that had LIVE music.I still have my membership cards for the Cavern and the Back of the Moon,I wish I had all the cash I spent in the above.

Phew. You should be dead by now Gnasher. Like you imply though, we'd be on our way to millionaires if we hadn't spent up in those places we loved but we'd not be so rich in memories.
    www.inacityliving.piczo.com/

Updated weekly with old and new pics.

I think we talked about it once before - but who remembers Ozzie Wades in Walton ?

.. I hasten to add that it was slightly before my time !! My mum & dad used to go there. I went there just once with some family when I was about 19.

Does anyone know when it closed down ?

Also, 'Blair Hall' on Walton rd. I went to a family do there when I was about 16

I used to pass Ossie Wades (where the EFC shop is now) on Walton Lane, all the time on the way to the match. Never went in there though, looked a bit of a dive (mind you, that never stopped me elsewhere)

Quote Originally Posted by Ged View Post
    I used to pass Ossie Wades (where the EFC shop is now) on Walton Lane, all the time on the way to the match. Never went in there though, looked a bit of a dive (mind you, that never stopped me elsewhere)
    I think it could have been a dive - ha,ha.
    I seem to remember people saying it was an after hours place where other entertainment artists would go after a gig. I think it was a bit of a Jazz club.

Found this thread by accident and joined site. So many places I had forgot. Even now some of the names are memories just starting to surface.

Local clubs for me: Gladray, Ibo, The old Somali (before it moved to the Casa), Chauffers. As a schoolboy went to the last night of the Peppermint Lounge - kopped off with Kirkby girls and had to walk home in the early hours.

Late 70s (I think) went with people from work to the club down from the Blue Angel (can't remember the name). We were the only people downstairs - booth seats around tiny dance floor - when entertainment arrived - Jr Walker and band! Played 2 tunes looking bored and wanted to go. We made a fuss and he played another. Fuss again and he woke up. After that, two hours of non-stop music and dance as a 'private' session from a 60s legend.

Some good memories there Dave.

Wow ! Jr Walker - would have loved to have seen him.

I used to hear about the Peppermint Lounge but by the time I was old enough to go clubbing it had changed it's name to Dinos. Think it was called Gullivers after that.

Thumbs up 60,s clubs

used to go to the Babalou on Seel st , 68-69-70 Kop A Groove at the Bab, J C Steen, and Derek Dolman were the D J,s also the Victoriana, on Victoria st saw Jimmy Ruffin there, did anyone go to the TWISTED WHEEL IN Manchester, or the CLOCKWORK ORANGE IN Chester, or QUAINTWAYS JAZZ Club in Chester, on a Monday night, Happy Times, Cheers to All

Also just found this thread which got me thinking of days gone by so I googled one of my fave haunts from my student nurse days.....the Cabin Club in Wood street.....opp the old bombed out church....I could not believe it when I found it is still going strong....I have my original member ship card some where..dated April 1976......

Sounds like it is still the same old place it used to be when a review on it said dont wear your good clothes....crikey I remember the floors being so beer soaked if you stood still too long you stuck to the floor.....I can still remember being there the night we passed our finals....standing on the the tables singin 'You'll never walk alone'..........fell out of there many a night and round to a kebab shop on the corner of Bold street..happy happy days

For any newbies finding this page. You can see many pics of old haunts including Gullivers and The Cabin Club (in colour) on these two webpages of mine.

http://inacityliving.piczo.com/?g=41057337&cr=7

and

http://inacityliving.piczo.com/?g=43555768&cr=7

All the best,

Ged.

Blog Entries

Ged,
    I've looked at some of your pictures before, but this is the first time I've seen the full extent of what you've collected. Absolutely stunned by the breadth of your collection.
    Respect.
    Kevin

Thanks Kevin, it just sort of grew a bit. It was only supposed to be about the tenement block I came from. If you click any of the pics it takes you back to the home page and there's many more pages you can click on thereafter of street scenes and buildings and the like.

Oh my what a fabulous trip down memory lane......The Cabin Club looks a lot posher than it was in my day

Some of those old pubs down the dock road also make me quite nostalgic...used to hang out in a few as I trained at the David Lewis Northern....Lordy I sound like we did nothing but go out and drinkd9dnt have the money to partake in too much but it was a cheap night out and quite often the most wonderful company was to be found in those places......

A wonderful collection..well done....it was also so nice to see some Crosby ones near where I grew up.....

I was showing my SAfrican hubby....whose comment was...'you have a lot of pubs in Liverpool...........yeah said I we are a sociable bunch'

I see someone also mentioned Erics earlier....now there was a fun place for an up and coming punk rocker as I was a the time

Quote Originally Posted by Ged View Post
    For any newbies finding this page. You can see many pics of old haunts including Gullivers and The Cabin Club (in colour) on these two webpages of mine.

http://inacityliving.piczo.com/?g=41057337&cr=7

and

http://inacityliving.piczo.com/?g=43555768&cr=7

All the best,

Ged.
    Great pub pics ged ive seen the inside of a few from speke to the town to everton good to see again .Are the dogs outside the derby arms the same ones as the liverpool tram pics ? look the same boy was that a long walk they went on !

Ah yes, those dogs are the same and can be found on quite a few of those pics, as Caldy (the golden retriver and her pup - not pub) belonged to the photographer - Joe Devine who must have worn many a shoe out on his treks around pub land.

Page 20 of 43 FirstFirst ... 10181920212230 ... LastLast