Page 12 of 43 FirstFirst ... 2101112131422 ... LastLast

Thread: Legendary Liverpool Clubs Of Yesteryear.

Quote Originally Posted by Ged View Post
    Looking down Manchester Street in 1990.

The Tiger used to be in the middle, later renamed Shanks and then Shanks II after another re-fit. It was in here as the Tiger that while with my mates IN 1979,two Canadians got in our Company, fascinated with all things Liverpool and in particular the accent, they asked where the Cavern was as they were going to visit it next day. They blurted out crying when we told them it had been knocked down.

The Games shop was on the bottom corner, used to get my jigsaw puzzles from there, the Batch Hatch cafe and then a bit higher up, Callan, the military shop. The blue premises used to be Gilroy and County a few years previously. You can see the disused amusement arcade, Yates wine lodge and the old furniture shop which used to contain the Gilmore blue movie cinema above. Rose wouldn't leave the Batch Hatch because of the lousy money on offer when they redeveloped the block so it's all built around the little cafe which is now called 'me ma's kitchen'.
    I once got the cafe and the Gilmore mixed up and went looking for the Snatch Hatch?

My brother, who did go there, honest, said a gas canister blew it up. I also mistook it for the cafe and ordered some crab sticks.

Gerard

That little side street between the kebab shop on Dale St and Stanley St, was the Other place down there, or could you get to it from down there?, seem to remember a sign but never went in there - good job actually - sounds like there were some dodgy characters.

The Nalgo one used to be the Gingerbread in Stanley street I think, on the right hand side as you go down.

Used to drink in Scarlett's bar on Hackin's Hey - downstairs, but you could come up another set and end up in the Crooked Billet - an entirely different pub altogether and then go out into Exchange Street East. Facing you there would be the Schooner Inn, built into the corner of Exchange flags. Played in there with the groundpig lads when they were called Riley in 81.
    Good stuff,The Other place Ged was on Stanley St half way down on the left,Great Little place.

Alright Gerard, top o' the mornin'

I like Flares and the 80s bar now in Mathew st, showing me age. The only thing is, your feet stick to the floor - a bit grubby like.

PhilipG

My brother, who did go there, honest, said a gas canister blew it up. I also mistook it for the cafe and ordered some crab sticks.
    I heard of somebody ordering finger pie.

Anyone remember Flintlocks,would open at 12pm on Chritmas Eve,youd fall out at 6pm ,thinkin it was 1am,thats when pubs didnt have liberal licensing,thank god for 24hr opening.

Quote Originally Posted by lindylou View Post

by the way, does anyone remember Terry O'Neil who was a doorman/bouncer at the Vic ? (early 70s) .. he was a First Dan (whatever it's called) Karate expert and he was in a couple of films - might have been doing stunt work or something like that.

Last time I seen him, he was working on the door of a bar in Slater street. This was about 4 years ago - he did a lot of stunt and training work for films and trained Arnold Swartznegar(sp?) to use swords in Conan, even had some of his own star roles 0 one of which was playing a fictional character who was supposed to be Charlie Bronson, the infamous prisoner.

Done Flintlocks at Christmas a few times, loved it, Maxwells plum used to do the same but I think that might have been later(mid to late 80s)
    Anyone ever go to Rio's around the back of Flintlocks?
    Last edited by christy; 01-26-2007 at 01:01 PM.

thanks for info about Terry O'Neil. There's probably something about him out there on the net - maybe some pictures. I'll have a look when I get time.
    Perhaps he should go into our Scouser hall of fame ... well he was quite well known in L'pool.

The club Rios. We used to go there a lot.
    Very disappointed when it turned into a rave club. it used to cater for average age 30s and upwards with a few younger ones mixed in. It was great for somewhere for the older clubbers to go. Then they changed it to a rave scene for 18 to 25s age group - so the regulars had to stop going.

There is hardly anywhere for older ones to go to. If you like to dance and don't like sitting in an alehouse all night there is very little else to choose from.
    Last edited by lindylou; 01-27-2007 at 12:03 AM.

There's the Grafton Lindy

I like the characters in Renshaws, have you been there? 70s music, some 80s, I just can't stop looking around at people, gonna get me head kicked in one day .

Used to like Sapphires too in Bold st till it was shut down.

I used to like Chauffeurs as well even though it was a dive. There is the Cabin at the top of Wood street that is still catering for an older crowd. Im pretty sure the Grafton is now a dance club at the weekend and only does the old Grafton thing on a Monday night. I could be wrong though.

Gerard

There's the Grafton Lindy

I like the characters in Renshaws, have you been there? 70s music, some 80s, I just can't stop looking around at people, gonna get me head kicked in one day .

Used to like Sapphires too in Bold st till it was shut down.
    And a belated Top o' the mornin' to you Ged.

Warrapenned there..Where did that day go !!!

Went that Sapphires once and av gorra say it was the Roughest hole I have ever been in.
    Jeeeeeeeeeeesus Mary and Joseph..Talk about Who let the Dogs out.

Can remember some of the Clubs mentioned by name but cant remember goin' to them as I stopped goin' the Clubs around 1980 after gettin' married and the Kids came along,
    Just thought of another one,Think It was called the Metro and it was a Heavy Music place just behind Watson and *****ard hidden in some back alley,
    Remember seeing Thin Lizzy on the Cavern and about 12 people watching them,they were fantastic and still one of my Favourite Bands,
    This was before my Lad was born and when our Ged was about 10 he wants a Guitar so I get him one and give him the "Whisky in the Jar" single and He's away..Another Lizzy nut in the House.
    Went To Dublin with him for the "Vibe for Philo" gig on the 10th anniversary of his death and the show at The Point Depot.
    Found out the Band were stayin' at this Westbury Hotel and went hangin around and after about an Hour John Sykes walks in the Foyer and brings us into the Bar and had a bevvie with Scott Gorham and Eric Bell..Boss or what !!
    Our Ged is now a music Teacher after doin' his 3 years or whatever it was at LIPA..
    He's Manager/Songwriter Producer of the Liverpool Girlie Band Icandi..
    His/Their song from Summer gone "All Fired up" got to No 1 in the USA Dance Chart last year..He played every instrument on it.
    They were recently on that Empire Gig for Michael Shields and Billy Butler said the next day they were one of the Best on the Show...
    Gloria Gaynor came up to him and swapped Contact thingys with him,She said she like his stuff.
    His best mate who he met at Lipa is a Lad called Lloyd..If you ever see the Mighty Wah video "Story of the Blues" Lloyd is the black Lad playing the Bass Guitar..
    Lloyd was also in OMD and once went on the Road with Tina Turner after she contacted him about playing Bass for Her..
    He tells me that in LIPA whenever Our Ged played Guitar that Everyone stopped and came to watch him play..
    Lloyd also says He'd put him against anyone in the Country playin Guitar..
    Thats My Boy !!...Another Little ragarse brought up in Gerard Gardens..
    Hope you dont mind me going on about Him..

..go ead our ged...
    Last edited by Gerard; 01-27-2007 at 01:28 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Gerard View Post

Lloyd also says He'd put him against anyone in the Country playin Guitar..
    Thats My Boy !!...Another Little ragarse brought up in Gerard Gardens..
    Hope you dont mind me going on about Him..

..go ead our ged...
    Thanks for sharing that with us Gerard, I can understand why you're so proud of your lad.

Great Gerard, You have every right to brag about him, anyone would be proud of such achievments.
    You can always count on Americans to do the right thing - after they've tried everything else.
    Winston Churchill

Gerard

Quote Originally Posted by Brenda View Post
    Thanks for sharing that with us Gerard, I can understand why you're so proud of your lad.
    Thank you Brenda,I dont know what it is girl, Hormones or something but suddenly the last 10 years or so Im Liverpool Proud if yer know what I mean,Not that I wasn't before but even more so now wanting to find out Everything I can about the place and telling everyone about it.Taking Photies Here there and Everywhere..Talking about the lads I grew up with Paul and Ged,,Mentioning the great works they bring out..And my Lad just makes me even more proud of being a Scouser if you know what I mean..
    And his mate Lloyd who is the most chilled Laid back fella you'll ever meet..
    Smashing Lad..here he is in action on the Bass..
    (Lloyd was supposed to perform in the Evening with me Lad when Our Ged got married back in July and Our Ged and all his Liverpool Muso mates were the "House Band"..Afraid I got Lloyd a Little bit bevvied and he could'nt stand up !!.)... go ead Lloyd Lad

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WuqmCo1LDW4

Gerard

Quote Originally Posted by shytalk View Post
    Great Gerard, You have every right to brag about him, anyone would be proud of such achievments.

Thank You Shy..
    Lets hear it for L I V E R POOOOOOOOOOOOOOL eh Mate !!

Page 12 of 43 FirstFirst ... 2101112131422 ... LastLast