Page 11 of 43 FirstFirst ... 91011121321 ... LastLast

Thread: Legendary Liverpool Clubs Of Yesteryear.

Gerard

Quote Originally Posted by lindylou View Post
    That's them ! Sweet Sensation

Jilly Johnson - I remember her .. and I remember Woolies on London rd.

I remember all the other clubs mentioned further back in the thread, ie; Beachcomber, Chequers, etc. What about the Babalou ? Did you go there?
    I didn't bother much with these clubs. I went to them maybe once or twice - but it was the Victoriana for me I used to go there 2 or 3 times a week. Thursday nights and the weekend nights. Me and may mate were obsessed with the place ! !
    I certainly did go the Babalou Lindylou..we were also well in with the Manager who had it at the Time and had a few Stay behinds there as well ...

Gerard

Quote Originally Posted by lindylou View Post
    The Masquerade was first called 'The Archways' and was in Hocken Hall alley (spelling ?). Harry Halliday ran the place and the name changed to Masquerade. The club moved to the old Red Dragon restaurant in Cases st. The next move was because of the Clayton shopping mall getting built and the club had to move on - it went to the Temple next.

Not sure where it's located now. Somewhere around the Dale st vicinity ?

ps,

the Curzon is a different place.
    Hiya Lindylou.
    The Masquerarde is in Cumberland Street opposite the Old PO on Victoria Street,
    The Temple was the 1st Bar I got barred from for being under age and was one of my Favourites,
    Living on Scottie we used to walk alonng Dale St,Have a bash at the Yard of ale in that One at the Bottom of Cheapie,Forget what its called Now..
    On to the Temple,Palatine,Scarlet Bar,The Vaults,Why Not,,,Hated the Pen and Wig...The Beehive on Paradise St and then The Triton and off to The Hotsy or the Tiger..Started going a bit up market later and went the Beechy, Babalou Etc !!!..
    Next week it would be the Lime St Bash..Got to know a Few Gay lads who were always in the Temple..They'd say to us Windin' us up.."Gerrover to such and such a place Lad..We'll make sure yer alright in there"...
    Anyway...One weekend when we are on the Lime St Route we went and Found this place Somewhere around Wood St..Yer Know I have'nt got a clue where it was to this Day.. Phil will Know..Phil...what was it called !!!!.
    Anyway when we get there its.."I'm not goin' in that F'n place" !!!!!!!!!!!!...
    So we get in there and I've never seen anything like it in me Life..
    All the Fella's Dressed up as Women..Imagine it Now!!..Dancin' with each other and Generally just a Ball...Fantastic Night..and what a great bunch of Fellas....Err Queens!!!......Brilliant..

That one in Hockenhall Alley off Dale st is now the Arriva bus club.

The place that used to be the Walter, next to ye hole in the wall in Hackins Hey is a gay pub now, it's called Jupiters. Got mates who sing on the karaok in the Saddle sat nights then go there for a game of pool. The staff get up on the bar at the end doing all the actions to Rolf Harris' 'The court of king caratacus'

By the way Gerard, you were right of course. The pamplet I had, obviously not very well researched was superceded by 'in the footsteps of the Beatles' book by the council which has the location right. It was a genuine question, i'd been a bit lazy in not checking my more up to date reference book. Sorry if you think I was trying to make you look bad because I wasn't. See ya soon.

Gerard

Quote Originally Posted by Ged View Post
    By the way Gerard, you were right of course. The pamplet I had, obviously not very well researched was superceded by 'in the footsteps of the Beatles' book by the council which has the location right. It was a genuine question, i'd been a bit lazy in not checking my more up to date reference book. Sorry if you think I was trying to make you look bad because I wasn't. See ya soon.
    Thank You Ged,Your a Scholar and a Gent Mate..

Default cindys

i was a barmaid in cindys in 1977 with tina and josy ****o who sadly died about 5 years ago would love to hear from anyone who went there

Gerard

Quote Originally Posted by margaret p View Post
    i was a barmaid in cindys in 1977 with tina and josy ****o who sadly died about 5 years ago would love to hear from anyone who went there
    Good to hear from yer Margaret.. 77 eh..the year I got married..
    I was only 12 yer know !!!.
    I went to Cindys once or twice but I cant really remember the place..
    must have been the last place I ended up eh..
    I remember findin' 2 Tenners though outside in the Street..
    Yeahhhhhhhh...That got me out the next night !!
    Wasn't Cindys called something else,was that the one round the Corner from Manchester St on Victoria Street !!..

What about The "Other Place" on Stanley St..Anyone remember that..

And heres one for yer...At the Bottom Of Harrington Street on the Same Side as the Why Not..Think its one of them Money Shops or Something Now..
    In the Mid 70's that opened up as some Fancy wine Bar that sold Jugs of Sangria...Greaaaaaaaaaaaaaat !!!!...Looaaaaaaaaads of it..
    Cant remember what that was called either..Any one know...

Quote Originally Posted by Gerard View Post

What about The "Other Place" on Stanley St..Anyone remember that.
    Wasn't that bar something to do with the union NALGO?

Gerard

Quote Originally Posted by Motorhemp View Post
    Wasn't that bar something to do with the union NALGO?
    Might well have been years after I went 75/76 when it was a great Disco.

'The Other Place' was the first 'non pub' establishment I attended. We were a young looking 14/15 at the time! The girl taking our names at the counter downstairs even remarked she knew what school we went to. Joy for the days when you did not need ID or to hang around the 'Offy' asking someone to buy you 6 cans of lager. We may have been under age, but it kept us off the streets and made us 'responsible' drinkers (25p for half of lager).

That little side street between the kebab shop on Dale St and Stanley St, was the Other place down there, or could you get to it from down there?, seem to remember a sign but never went in there - good job actually - sounds like there were some dodgy characters.

The Nalgo one used to be the Gingerbread in Stanley street I think, on the right hand side as you go down.

Used to drink in Scarlett's bar on Hackin's Hey - downstairs, but you could come up another set and end up in the Crooked Billet - an entirely different pub altogether and then go out into Exchange Street East. Facing you there would be the Schooner Inn, built into the corner of Exchange flags. Played in there with the groundpig lads when they were called Riley in 81.

'The other Place' .. I went there a few times.

The Victoriana, which was in Victoria st for years, closed down approx mid 1970s then the club re opened under a new name.
    Was that where Cindy's was ? Or was the new name Gullivers?

by the way, does anyone remember Terry O'Neil who was a doorman/bouncer at the Vic ? (early 70s) .. he was a First Dan (whatever it's called) Karate expert and he was in a couple of films - might have been doing stunt work or something like that.
    Last edited by lindylou; 01-25-2007 at 09:30 PM.

Looking down Manchester Street in 1990.

The Tiger used to be in the middle, later renamed Shanks and then Shanks II after another re-fit. It was in here as the Tiger that while with my mates IN 1979,two Canadians got in our Company, fascinated with all things Liverpool and in particular the accent, they asked where the Cavern was as they were going to visit it next day. They blurted out crying when we told them it had been knocked down.

The Games shop was on the bottom corner, used to get my jigsaw puzzles from there, the Batch Hatch cafe and then a bit higher up, Callan, the military shop. The blue premises used to be Gilroy and County a few years previously. You can see the disused amusement arcade, Yates wine lodge and the old furniture shop which used to contain the Gilmore blue movie cinema above. Rose wouldn't leave the Batch Hatch because of the lousy money on offer when they redeveloped the block so it's all built around the little cafe which is now called 'me ma's kitchen'.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Manchester st.jpg 
Views:	432 
Size:	267.3 KB 
ID:	1162  

PhilipG

Quote Originally Posted by Ged View Post
    Looking down Manchester Street in 1990.

The Tiger used to be in the middle, later renamed Shanks and then Shanks II after another re-fit. It was in here as the Tiger that while with my mates IN 1979,two Canadians got in our Company, fascinated with all things Liverpool and in particular the accent, they asked where the Cavern was as they were going to visit it next day. They blurted out crying when we told them it had been knocked down.

The Games shop was on the bottom corner, used to get my jigsaw puzzles from there, the Batch Hatch cafe and then a bit higher up, Callan, the military shop. The blue premises used to be Gilroy and County a few years previously. You can see the disused amusement arcade, Yates wine lodge and the old furniture shop which used to contain the Gilmore blue movie cinema above. Rose wouldn't leave the Batch Hatch because of the lousy money on offer when they redeveloped the block so it's all built around the little cafe which is now called 'me ma's kitchen'.

The Gilmore.
    I didn't go there, honest!
    A friend told me it got blown up.
    Is that true?
    It was demolished very quickly.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	kitchen.jpg 
Views:	321 
Size:	85.7 KB 
ID:	1164  
    Last edited by PhilipG; 01-25-2007 at 10:54 PM.

Page 11 of 43 FirstFirst ... 91011121321 ... LastLast