Page 6 of 43 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast

Thread: Legendary Liverpool Clubs Of Yesteryear.

This thread has brought back so many memories of the clubs I used to go to. Right back to the teen scene days of the The Quad, and Fallows in Aintree, through to pre-Cream Nation and more recently Garlands.

For some reason, I never got to experience The State, something that guts me, given it's so legendary in Liverpool clubland.

Amazingly, I never got to go to Secret's in Litherland either (where I'm from), as they always said I looked too young. Strange, as I was frequenting gay and straight clubs in town from the age of 14 as I always looked much older than my mates. I did however go to the back club of Secret's called 'Clouds' around 86-87, anyone else remember that? Victoria perhaps?

Other clubs/bars from back in the day that I loved were Mardi Gras (especially the Kylie/Madonna nights from the early 90's), Macmillan's, Early Garland's, The She, Jody's, Reflections, Baa Bar, Escape (R.I.P), ESP.... too many, all mostly, and sadly, gone.

Quote Originally Posted by Fruit Machine View Post
    Amazingly, I never got to go to Secret's in Litherland either (where I'm from), as they always said I looked too young. Strange, as I was frequenting gay and straight clubs in town from the age of 14 as I always looked much older than my mates. I did however go to the back club of Secret's called 'Clouds' around 86-87, anyone else remember that? Victoria perhaps?

Other clubs/bars from back in the day that I loved were Mardi Gras (especially the Kylie/Madonna nights from the early 90's), Macmillan's, Early Garland's, The She, Jody's, Reflections, Baa Bar, Escape (R.I.P), ESP.... too many, all mostly, and sadly, gone.
    I remember Clouds, I was too young to go then... I think it was called Allinsons before Secrets and Clouds came along.
    You never missed much with Secrets though, it was typical Hitman & Her stuff... bad light shows, bad DJs, watered down ale and sticky floors... 01:50 the slowies would start and you would get the lounge lizards come out, not bought you one drink all night but want a slow dance and a snog on the dancefloor from you... as if!

Went to Jody's too, my uncle is gay so we did a bit of a tour... think we ended up in Images... seen some sights that night

Baa Bar is still going isn't it?
    Haven't been there for a good few years though... I have an old mixed CD from the Baa Bar, good stuff

Talking Too many doves,biscuits and phase 4's!!

Fallows is now the Time Out kids play area I've been told,I've been there loads of times with the kids and I never knew that,just shows you how wrecked I was when I used to go there.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul D View Post
    Fallows is now the Time Out kids play area I've been told,I've been there loads of times with the kids and I never knew that,just shows you how wrecked I was when I used to go there.
    Oh Paul, thats shocking,

Quote Originally Posted by victorialush View Post
    Oh Paul, thats shocking,
    Come on.

Fantastic thread - thanx guys n' gals ha ha. Being a 16 year old school leaver in 78 (around the time of Night Fever and Grease, my mates and I were happy to get in any clubs that would have us so usually frequented the Tiger, Livvo's and Gatsby's. Graduated to Eric's (actually played there when it was Brady's and played the She too) The Tiger became Shanks and I actually got served in Pickwicks in 77 at the first ever Beatles convention on JL's birthday 9th Oct. Reading through this thread I can say that Motorheap has the name right about Milo's and that Probe Records was actually in Rainford Square but as John/Shytalk point out, it is now known as the Mathew st quarter anyway around there.

Other clubs at that time were Ugly's (how appropriate) and the Babalou. The city centre has so many pubs that we'd usually do a different crawl each night from thurs to sunday. The top one would start out at the Phil, down Hardman St with The Flying Picket, Chaucers, Plummers, Kirklands, Streets, Hardy's then Bertrums. The next night might start at the Excelsior or Mitre, along Dale st to the Vernon, down Stanley st to the Gingerbread Man then the New Court bar/Captain's cabin then back up Cumberland st where there was the Cumberland, Rudi's then either end up in La Fayette/Joleen's or the old dive The Gaslight. Another crawl would see us down the bottom end of town. Tom Hall's Tavern, the Slaughter House, The cornfield?, Pig & Whistle, The Queens, Trials, Pen & Wig, Why not, The Liverpool. I'd be a millionaire by now if I'd stayed in but not richer in memories.

Default Harrington Bar

Well remember the likes of Le Bateau, Clouds ...etc but the one that stands out for me was the Harrington Bar in Harrington Street (opposite what is now Cavern Walks but was just waste ground back in 1980-82)
    It is still there but has sadly been closed for a long time now. However, at the time it was one of the only places, along with the the short lived Michelle Clares off Dale street that played new wave / new romantic, especially Bowie, kraftwerk, Human League ....etc
    It was officially a club as it had a downstairs where you could get something to eat. I also remember a sign next to the DJ that said 'Please don't ask for disco as we won't play it' !. Most of the bouncers were gay, big butch skinheads who could be found in Pacos, Lisbon during the week !!.

I put a ? after the Cornfield as it didn't sound right in my mind, it was of course the Cornmarket. Livvo's was Livingstones. Another route would be The Rose & Crown, Rigby's, the Saddle (old Palatine) Dove & Angel above the State, Daley's Dandelion and Reflections or Houlians bar which were part of it at the back and upstairs. Also Scarlets bar up Hackins Hey, the railway and Lion on Tithebarn street etc. Living off Dale street as I did then courtesy of the caretakers flat that went with my dads job , the city centre was my local.

Quote Originally Posted by 5th beatle View Post
    Well remember the likes of Le Bateau, Clouds ...etc but the one that stands out for me was the Harrington Bar in Harrington Street (opposite what is now Cavern Walks but was just waste ground back in 1980-82)
    It is still there but has sadly been closed for a long time now. However, at the time it was one of the only places, along with the the short lived Michelle Clares off Dale street that played new wave / new romantic, especially Bowie, kraftwerk, Human League ....etc
    It was officially a club as it had a downstairs where you could get something to eat. I also remember a sign next to the DJ that said 'Please don't ask for disco as we won't play it' !. Most of the bouncers were gay, big butch skinheads who could be found in Pacos, Lisbon during the week !!.
    I used to go there,I remember they all used to go mad when Simple Minds or Jimmy Somerville came on,there were loads of interesting haircuts in that place I seem to remember.

The Harrington circa 1980; The Passenger, Empire State Human, Where's Capatin Kirk etc. I also remember not knowing what to do when dancing to the change of tempo bit of Vienna!!

So many pub and club names in this thread my head is spinning... The Harrington - did that become McCartneys or something for a while? Michelle Clares, Shanks (what about Shanks 2?), The Cumberland with the bands always playing the same Bad Company tracks every time you went there, the Pink Parrot was good while it lasted, what about the Cabin? the old Casablanca was a fave never was the same after the extension in the back got built and it started to smarten up, the Planet-X was great - they used to have organised buses coming in from out of town at one point (I think from Chester), the Mardi Gras - a mate worked there in the late 80s I think, I'm sure Macmillans was one of the only places you could get a later night pint in Liverpool on a Sunday (legitimately) and even that was only 11ish, what about the old licensing laws with afternoon closing time, I can hardly remember them but it lead to Flintlocks cornering the market for the last working day before christmas pissup in the town centre as it stayed open right through. Will any one else admit they ever drank in the Wilsons!

Remember Earl St Johns by where Queens Square is now?

Yeah ha ha Earl St. John's and Cindy's at the tunnel end of Victoria st. Who's going to admit to remembering Tiffany's which was down the side of India Buildings.

Me !!

I only went in with my friend during the lunch hour to meet up with her husband who worked there.
    I never went there on a night out.

Yeah, yeah......

Page 6 of 43 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast