Page 33 of 43 FirstFirst ... 233132333435 ... LastLast

Thread: Legendary Liverpool Clubs Of Yesteryear.

Quote Originally Posted by Lan02 View Post
    Did my clubbing in the late 80's and remember:

Peppers in Walton
    Images off Dale St
    Bentleys on Brunswick St
    The Swan (pub) on Wood St
    Quadrant Park in Bootle
    Mylo's rock club in St John's Precinct (anyone know what shop it was under? Remember it was 50p to get in)

off topic a little but sticking with the Mylo's theme there used to be a decent "alternative" shop called Extremes just off Whitechapel.

Vaguely remember a kind of Jamaican club in a house on Hope St too.
    Yes Milos was called after the bloke connected to it who was killed on his motorbike in Spain. It was formerly the Moonstone only it then used to be accessed from inside one of the malls in St Johns precinct in the 1970s when it was all open of a night time.

Here's me and our kid in Milos in 1985.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

www.inacityliving.piczo.com/

Updated weekly with old and new pics.

Cheers for the info. Milo's was accessed via one of the malls in a doorway between two shops I think. Pic makes it look a bit different to how I remember, brighter and it wasn't often you saw someone with a tie on.

Remember it for the darkness, sticky floors and 80's heavy metal plus the odd live band. Probably the only club where I never saw even a hint of a fight over the years (unlike images)!

If i'm not mistaken, the Moonstone is now model Zone and although I never went in it for a drink, the steps led down and the doorway into the pub sort of ran under where sayers now is which was the the St. Johns Tavern (one of 7 pubs in the precinct back then - the other 5 being the star and garter, the penny farthing, the sportsman, romeo and juliets, the Cunarder.

Yes, it wasn't really the pub for ties but we were on our usual pub crawl to meet others and called there on our way to the Captains cabin. We'd do Daley Dandelion, Scarletts bar, The gingerbread man and the Cumberland before ending up for a stay behind in the Vernon - perhaps heading over to the Gaslight or Jolenes (La Fayette) until 2pm.

Never ever went to the state believe it or not.

Used to go into town on a Friday mainly. Weekdays were just local around Walton, queen Anne, vic, Alfred, black horse, warbreck, windsor, black bull etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Ged View Post
    If i'm not mistaken, the Moonstone is now model Zone and although I never went in it for a drink, the steps led down and the doorway into the pub sort of ran under where sayers now is which was the the St. Johns Tavern (one of 7 pubs in the precinct back then - the other 5 being the star and garter, the penny farthing, the sportsman, romeo and juliets, the Cunarder.

Yes, it wasn't really the pub for ties but we were on our usual pub crawl to meet others and called there on our way to the Captains cabin. We'd do Daley Dandelion, Scarletts bar, The gingerbread man and the Cumberland before ending up for a stay behind in the Vernon - perhaps heading over to the Gaslight or Jolenes (La Fayette) until 2pm.
    Now you've got me wondering if there was a later version of mylo's as I'm pretty sure the one I used to go to was in the door to the mall at the base of the tower then in a door to the right kind of oppositte the post office somewhere by where a perfume shop is now I think.

Thinking about it, maybe same place, different entrance.

Yes Milos was called after the bloke connected to it who was killed on his motorbike in Spain. It was formerly the Moonstone only it then used to be accessed from inside one of the malls in St Johns precinct in the 1970s when it was all open of a night time.

Here's me and our kid in Milos in 1985.

Milo was a wanna be muisician like you Ged and a good one.I was told he was on Quo's short list to replace Coglan when he left.

Yes Lan02. When the moonstone closed, that entrance was blocked up and became a shop and Milos was entered near the base of the tower but it was same interior underground.

Cool, so I wasn't too far gone to remember all the details then!! Appreciate the response, found the site browsing local history stuff and it's certainly brightened up my weekend. Cheers.

The Moonstone.

Did my clubbing in the late 80's and remember:

Peppers in Walton
    Images off Dale St
    Bentleys on Brunswick St
    The Swan (pub) on Wood St
    Quadrant Park in Bootle
    Mylo's rock club in St John's Precinct (anyone know what shop it was under? Remember it was 50p to get in)

off topic a little but sticking with the Mylo's theme there used to be a decent "alternative" shop called Extremes just off Whitechapel.

Vaguely remember a kind of Jamaican club in a house on Hope St too.
    Was that the "Casablanca" ? 5 women, and 150 fellers! (good music though!) or possibly "Chauffeurs"?
    Last edited by wsteve55; 06-01-2010 at 12:39 AM. Reason: addition.

No idea. Think it was a house somewhere by the Everyman on the same side.

Had like a food hatch to the kitchen serving nice smelling food which I thought odd for a club. Very few White people in the place and a big mix of ages. Friendly in there.

That's about all I can remember.

The Mayflower was in Fazakerly Street off Old Hall street and we used to play there in 1980.
    Way before my time Ged. You must be an old fecker

I used to go in the mid 90's.

No idea. Think it was a house somewhere by the Everyman on the same side.

Had like a food hatch to the kitchen serving nice smelling food which I thought odd for a club. Very few White people in the place and a big mix of ages. Friendly in there.

That's about all I can remember.

Yes, that sounds like Chauffeurs as mentioned by Steve. Sign in on the way in, a Georgian House - didn't look like a club from outside but a cctv monitor on the door.

Quote Originally Posted by Rhoobarb View Post
    Way before my time Ged. You must be an old fecker

I used to go in the mid 90's.

Well we were all unusually young when in that group - just left school, we must have been the youngest around judging by the other groups knocking around at that time and the other groups our lads knew from Mable Fletcher music college.

Page 33 of 43 FirstFirst ... 233132333435 ... LastLast