Page 31 of 43 FirstFirst ... 21293031323341 ... LastLast

Thread: Legendary Liverpool Clubs Of Yesteryear.

Quote Originally Posted by kevin View Post
    Hi Johnny,
    Went in most of 'em. Squire's in Woolton wasn't too far from where I lived and we often went in mid-week, but I'd forgotten all about the place. I mentioned earlier in the thread that a mate of mine had been married to Jim Ireland's daughter. Though they got divorced we still always got into the Beachcomber for free.
    Only went on the Landfall a couple of times and didn't really like it. Went in the Continental in later years, just before my clubbing days in Liverpool were over - moved away.

Hi Kevin,I might of wobbled past you at sometime or another,another club not mentioned is the Peppermint lounge very busy in the sixties i remember free soup on Tuesdays and where nurses got in free i had a few pints with Hienz who was on at the time and another good club was the Bobbins on Window lane Garston(it turned into fords club) Long John Baldry brought the house down one Friday night,also the Regency club Widnes Where i nearly copped off with PP Arnold,has any body met someone famous around the clubs of the 60/70s Johnny

Ohhh I had quite forgotten about The Bobbins !!, had some really good nights there !

Quote Originally Posted by johnny22 View Post
    Hi Kevin,I might of wobbled past you at sometime or another,another club not mentioned is the Peppermint lounge very busy in the sixties i remember free soup on Tuesdays and where nurses got in free i had a few pints with Hienz who was on at the time and another good club was the Bobbins on Window lane Garston(it turned into fords club) Long John Baldry brought the house down one Friday night,also the Regency club Widnes Where i nearly copped off with PP Arnold,has any body met someone famous around the clubs of the 60/70s Johnny
    PP Arnold Angel of the morning little Black American girl is she still alive ??????

Blog Entries

I've got lots of 'nearly copped off' stories!
    Never went to the Bobbins but I remember hearing about it. Didn't really go to clubs that had acts on - except for The Cavern from 1967-68. Then went to The Pyramid most Fridays. After than it was mostly Ugly's or The Beachcomber until I became a fixture in the Odd Spot from about '75. Went to other clubs occasionally but those above are the ones I spent most time in.

Hi Kevin, i might of wobbled past you some night i lived off Mackets lane,another great club was the Peppermint lounge in the 60s (free soup Tuesday) i remember Heinz from the Tornados was on one week had a few drinks with him,i also nearly copped off with PP Arnold at the Regency club Widnes,there was another club that had good acts the Bobbins Garston has anybody come across anyone famous around the clubs 60/70s ? i remember walking down Mackets lane and then helping this lad to catch his dog later i found out it was George Harrison who lived on Mackets a couple of weeks later when i passed the house was surrounded with young girls John.
    Was it a Tuesday,when Heinz showed? (soup connection)

Quote Originally Posted by wsteve55 View Post
    Was it a Tuesday,when Heinz showed? (soup connection)
    Nice one Steve,one thing i miss is the Liverpool humour,the odd spot was hard to get in during the sixties but was a regular haunt of mine 75/76;also the Cabin was a good club,the owner owned Llannbedre hall in Ruthin and members and friends could go there for the weekend,now that was party time,no locks on the doors ,there was also the Rembrandt club(lower down from ugleys) if you wanted to impress. Johnny

Nice one Steve,one thing i miss is the Liverpool humour,the odd spot was hard to get in during the sixties but was a regular haunt of mine 75/76;also the Cabin was a good club,the owner owned Llannbedre hall in Ruthin and members and friends could go there for the weekend,now that was party time,no locks on the doors ,there was also the Rembrandt club(lower down from ugleys) if you wanted to impress. Johnny
    That old guy on the door of the "Cabin" could be a bit of a cranky git,sometimes,but it was his club,so......!

Hey Kevin your face does,nt look familiar I went to the Cavern from 66-68-69 then went to the Babalou

Quote Originally Posted by georgieboy View Post
    Hey Kevin your face does,nt look familiar I went to the Cavern from 66-68-69 then went to the Babalou
    Same as me, started at the Cavern in 69 then went to The Babalou.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by georgieboy View Post
    Don't much look like I did in my 20s!

Blog Entries

...the odd spot was hard to get in during the sixties but was a regular haunt of mine 75/76;
    Then we'll know each other by sight - I was pretty much in there every Thursday and Saturday in those days - often Fridays as well, which was a quiet night.
    I married one of the barmaids - we're still together.

Went there the first time with a couple of Everton & Liverpool players. The next time I went by myself but Terrry and Bobby on the door remembered me - I'm very tall. Never had to pay to get in.

I too remember the Chesire Lines. There used to be a band that included 2 brothers, Cliff and Dave...including a brilliant saxophonist.
    We used to drink loads of bacardi and lemon - underage too... and dance till we dropped. The floor was wooden and hollow underneath and it used to bounce as we cavorted around to the music trying to look cool.....the proprietors were really nice.
    I loved the Mardi Gras, the Pyramid Club (previously Iron Door) and a place called the Pink Parrot. Anyone remember that one?

I've heard of the Pink Parrot, but I don't know where it was. I never went there.

Duke St.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by GNASHER View Post
    Duke St.
    Correctomundo.
    Think I only went in there the once, when a mate's band were playing.

Page 31 of 43 FirstFirst ... 21293031323341 ... LastLast