Page 30 of 43 FirstFirst ... 20282930313240 ... LastLast

Thread: Legendary Liverpool Clubs Of Yesteryear.

Quote Originally Posted by Davec View Post
    Hi George,

Colin passed away in 2005, I don't know what the cause was.
    A thoroughly nice fella - think the last time I saw him was on the Coconut Grove.

Don't know if this link will work; http://www.youtube.com/user/TONIO2K8#p/f/16/kozxeool3tE

Davec
    Cheers Dave it did work, Great Singer, Great song, I had,nt heard it before
    it made my night, I owe you one, do you remember a group called
    The Incrowd, played the Masonic, they were Tony Vale, Lawrence Areety,
    Sugar Dean, and one more guy who,s name escapes me

Quote Originally Posted by georgieboy View Post
    Cheers Dave it did work, Great Singer, Great song, I had,nt heard it before
    it made my night, I owe you one, do you remember a group called
    The Incrowd, played the Masonic, they were Tony Vale, Lawrence Areety,
    Sugar Dean, and one more guy who,s name escapes me
    Hiya George,

with the memory I've got these last few years, last week didn't happen.
    Just like Minnesota Fats, the In Crowd rings a very vague bell, but it's more likely my mind trying to pretend it works.
    3 of the lads you mention are on page 2 of this link (you may have already seen it)...
    http://triumphpc.com/mersey-beat/a-z/sugardean.shtml

...don't know if the one you couldn't recall is the other lad in the photo.

Dave

Blog Entries

I knew Neil English quite well from the Rumblin Tum / Sink, Neil drove a
    Gordon Keeble a very rare car, I remember when he ran the Odd Spot on
    Bold St
    After leaving The Spot he opened a very expensive shoe shop on Bold St called 'Neil's Shoes'. Called in to see him a few times when I was in Liverpool.
    When the Albert Dock was restored he moved into one of the retail units there but don't think it went well - plenty of footfall but people went there to browse rather than buy. Like many others, as soon as his lease expired he moved on. Don't know what he did after that.

I remember the Grotesque sign that hung outside Ugly,s on Duke St
    Anyone know where it went? I'm sure there was something about it being moved/preserved,in the Echo,some years ago.

It now hangs over Mart's door.
    www.inacityliving.piczo.com/

Updated weekly with old and new pics.

Hi everybody, I am new to this great forum.i was trying to think of clubs of the 60/70s not mentioned-- The goodship landfall;The drift inn a brilliant club,Russel'sl was a great cabaret club,the Squires in Woolton village, the Continental showing old films on the wall,the Babalou with Dolmans discomania Dereck Dolman was a school friend of mine it was his uncle Jim Ireland who owned the Beachy,Babalou,Mardi he started of with a milk bar on Window lane Garston with his demob money, The 21 club i think it was around ullet rd remember wandering of course one night it was a bit of a dive,moving a bit further out was the Neptune preston brook great cabaret club with disco downstairs i rememember walking in early one night just after the world cup 1966 and who was sitting in the corner like two book ends but Roger hunt and Alex Lindsey they were trying to kop off all night no vip areas then as if that would hapen today cheers John---You know your getting old when somebody says you've had a fall instead of you fell over.

Last edited by johnny22; 02-28-2010 at 09:41 PM. Reason: spelling

The Cavern from around 69.
    The Babalou
    The Time the Place/The Time Piece
    The She
    The Top Rank
    Romeo and Juliets (Where I met my husband to be)
    Pickwicks
    The Grafton

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by lindac8941 View Post
    The Cavern from around 69.
    The Babalou
    The Time the Place/The Time Piece
    The She
    The Top Rank
    Romeo and Juliets (Where I met my husband to be)
    Pickwicks
    The Grafton
    Linda, I met him there too...

Him and his silver tongue...

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by johnny22 View Post
    Hi everybody, I am new to this great forum.i was trying to think of clubs of the 60/70s not mentioned-- The goodship landfall;The drift inn a brilliant club,Russel'sl was a great cabaret club,the Squires in Woolton village, the Continental showing old films on the wall,the Babalou with Dolmans discomania Dereck Dolman was a school friend of mine it was his uncle Jim Ireland who owned the Beachy,Babalou,Mardi he started of with a milk bar on Window lane Garston with his demob money, The 21 club i think it was around ullet rd remember wandering of course one night it was a bit of a dive,moving a bit further out was the Neptune preston brook great cabaret club with disco downstairs i rememember walking in early one night just after the world cup 1966 and who was sitting in the corner like two book ends but Roger hunt and Alex Lindsey they were trying to kop off all night no vip areas then as if that would hapen today cheers John---You know your getting old when somebody says you've had a fall instead of you fell over.
    Hi Johnny,
    Went in most of 'em. Squire's in Woolton wasn't too far from where I lived and we often went in mid-week, but I'd forgotten all about the place. I mentioned earlier in the thread that a mate of mine had been married to Jim Ireland's daughter. Though they got divorced we still always got into the Beachcomber for free.
    Only went on the Landfall a couple of times and didn't really like it. Went in the Continental in later years, just before my clubbing days in Liverpool were over - moved away.

Oh I forgot all about the Landfall, isnt that the boat? It had one of those deep sea diving suits/helmets in there? I only went there once. I also forgot to mention I went to The Coconut Grove once too. and back in the 60s went to The Black Cat in London Road on the one occasion.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by lindac8941 View Post
    Oh I forgot all about the Landfall, isnt that the boat? It had one of those deep sea diving suits/helmets in there? I only went there once. I also forgot to mention I went to The Coconut Grove once too. and back in the 60s went to The Black Cat in London Road on the one occasion.
    The Coconut Grove - another forgotten memory!
    We went there a few times as an old schoolmate was on the door.

Yes I remember the Iron Door well, it was not far from the Cavern Club. Also I remember the Jaceranda

Quote Originally Posted by kevin View Post
    The Coconut Grove - another forgotten memory!
    We went there a few times as an old schoolmate was on the door.
    Ah remember it well....Mickey Finn and chicken in a basket...or was it scampi.

'forgotten memory'....the more I say it the more wrong it sounds.

I went to the Squires too !, and every Sunday to the "Lines" the old Cheshire Lines club in Southmead Road Allerton! if I remember rightly there was also Johns place in Garston, it was a case of knock three times to be admitted , great after hours drinking there !! happy days...

Hi Kevin, i might of wobbled past you some night i lived off Mackets lane,another great club was the Peppermint lounge in the 60s (free soup Tuesday) i remember Heinz from the Tornados was on one week had a few drinks with him,i also nearly copped off with PP Arnold at the Regency club Widnes,there was another club that had good acts the Bobbins Garston has anybody come across anyone famous around the clubs 60/70s ? i remember walking down Mackets lane and then helping this lad to catch his dog later i found out it was George Harrison who lived on Mackets a couple of weeks later when i passed the house was surrounded with young girls John.

Page 30 of 43 FirstFirst ... 20282930313240 ... LastLast