Page 4 of 43 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Thread: Legendary Liverpool Clubs Of Yesteryear.

Yes, I owned and drove taxis for 16 years then emmigrated to the USA in 1981.
    Now retired and living up in the Ozark mountains.
    You can always count on Americans to do the right thing - after they've tried everything else.
    Winston Churchill

I remember the Iron Door, The Pyramid. The Twenty One Club,and some clubs around Upper Parliment st.

PhilipG

Quote Originally Posted by shytalk View Post
    Thanks PhilipG,
    I was one of the first members there in about 1958. It was a great club, we used to go in the Beehive pub opposite for a few then on to the Mardi. It was opened by Stan Roberts and Jim Ireland, they went on to open numerous clubs and manage a lot of bands. The manager was Harry Ormesher who I knew previously from his 'photo shop in Seaforth Rd. He later became a world renowned photographer. The doorman was Alan Tanner, aka Alan Adrian a Jamaican ex boxer. There was rarely any trouble there. In those days you could park your car outside as long as you didn't obstruct the bus stop.
    The building must have had extensive modification to make it 2 story as it was when I went there.
    Thanks for the pic it brought back a lot of memories.
    I've just posted a history of the building to the "Some Liverpool Cinemas" thread.

RE Erics...
    Whilst browsing this thread and going on my own google tangent to look for pics I found this...

http://www.liverpoolthen.co.uk/

With pictures of this...

and this

Amd a tiny little forum here

Quote Originally Posted by christy View Post
    First ever club with mates was Milo's (formerly the Moonstone) in the precinct followed by Nightriders (freewheelers) in wood street. Used to watch bands in the Cumberland, Planet x (both Hannover street and the one off Dale street)
    I used to go to The Cave (Radio Jackie Norths the Cave! It had a DJ called Rik Dane who ran a pirate rock radio station of that name) which I think was really Brady's the successor to Erics after it had turned into a Rock club. The Nightriders/Freewheelers above the Bar Royale which was above the Wilsons pub and all owned by Sadie - Sloanes now the Krazyhouse. Always disliked Milos 'cos of its poodle RAWK I think it was named after John Mylett from local band Rage / Nutz and once drummer on childrens TV lunchtime show I think called Our Back Yard or something who'd died along with Alison his girlfriend in a car crash in Spain - hence the Alisons bar part at the top end of the pub and I spent many nights in the Planet at both locations as well.

Great picture Victoria I'll look forward to that site going live.

Blog Entries

Fallows Too Ticket:

The Hippodrome, just about visible:

Become A Supporter 👇

Donate Via PayPal

Donate

I used to go to Fallows in Bootle or wherever it was on the rave nights they had there,I wasn't wrecked or nothing I just don't remember where it was honest.

Quote Originally Posted by Motorhemp View Post
    I used to go to The Cave (Radio Jackie Norths the Cave! It had a DJ called Rik Dane who ran a pirate rock radio station of that name) which I think was really Brady's the successor to Erics after it had turned into a Rock club. The Nightriders/Freewheelers above the Bar Royale which was above the Wilsons pub and all owned by Sadie - Sloanes now the Krazyhouse. Always disliked Milos 'cos of its poodle RAWK I think it was named after John Mylett from local band Rage / Nutz and once drummer on childrens TV lunchtime show I think called Our Back Yard or something who'd died along with Alison his girlfriend in a car crash in Spain - hence the Alisons bar part at the top end of the pub and I spent many nights in the Planet at both locations as well.

Prefferred the women in Milo's, Nightriders women intimidated me at that age! Did you ever go to Rockfords ? We used to go over sometimes when Milo's shut at 1 o'clock, for the last hour or so. What was the name of the club (began with an 'S') behind probe upstairs (where Coast is now). Remember it was full of the reminents of the Punk, Rockabilly, Psyhcobilly thing, used to enjoy them giving each other a hiding to King Kurt or Jailhouse rock or something. The Pink Parrot was another alternative if fancied a change and some Goths. Such a shame that these clubs don't exist any more. Like the casa, for all the good the dockers have done with it, still preferred the old place. Once had a very strange night in there with my mates and Wayne Sleep!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hi all

The Mardi Gras Club is very familiar to me although I don't believe I was ever in it. I just remember girls talking about "the Mardi." I was not a big club goer when I lived in Liverpool in the Sixties, though I did go to the Sink Club on Leece Street up from St. Luke's Church circa 1965, when Tony Jackson, ex of the Searchers played there, and I was later on quite a number of occasions in the Chequers Club on Seel Street.

Chris
    Christopher T. George
    Editor, Ripperologist
    Editor, Loch Raven Review
    http://christophertgeorge.blogspot.com/
    Chris on Flickr and on MySpace

Prefferred the women in Milo's, Nightriders women intimidated me at that age! Did you ever go to Rockfords ? We used to go over sometimes when Milo's shut at 1 o'clock, for the last hour or so. What was the name of the club (began with an 'S') behind probe upstairs (where Coast is now). Remember it was full of the reminents of the Punk, Rockabilly, Psyhcobilly thing, used to enjoy them giving each other a hiding to King Kurt or Jailhouse rock or something. The Pink Parrot was another alternative if fancied a change and some Goths. Such a shame that these clubs don't exist any more. Like the casa, for all the good the dockers have done with it, still preferred the old place. Once had a very strange night in there with my mates and Wayne Sleep!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Was it the swinging apple?
    " If you know your history, then you would know where you coming from".

"I could have been a footballer - but I had a paper round"..Yosser Hughes

The PARADOX at Ormskirk Rd. Aintree was a real Liverpool venue.

Can anyone tell me when this club closed?

Also, where was The She? I've heard a few mentions of this club but don't know where it was.

And of course there was the famous "Shakey" in town.

Quote Originally Posted by john View Post
    Was it the swinging apple?
    Swinging Apple was the predecessor of Nightriders / Wilsons bar on Wood Street - not sure too, young at the time Rainfords was the rock club at the back of button street for a while. Rockfords was off St. Johns Garden by where the Italian and Chinese restaurants are now. Too many beers tonight (and then) to remember accurately... Liverpool has always had a large non-conformist music population - not always as cool as punk stuff but there and vibrant anyway...

Lost most of my teeth outside Casablanca (as I still call it) to some scallys from Chauffers in the 80s - still prefer the old unilt Casa to modern version (30pence entrance if they bothered asking) but thats probably age - I especially remember the first room with just a jukebox for light and no way of telling what the girl you where chatting to looked like! Good job they couldn't either
    Last edited by Motorhemp; 11-22-2006 at 12:26 AM.

Now this is suddenly weird 'cos I remember meeting Wayne Sleep in the Casablanca!

I think the She was on Dale Street.
    " If you know your history, then you would know where you coming from".

"I could have been a footballer - but I had a paper round"..Yosser Hughes

Page 4 of 43 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast