Thread: Derek Mountfield

Blog Entries

Default Derek Mountfield

Derek Mountfield (born 2 November 1962 in Liverpool) is an English former football player, who played as a centre-back.

His time at top-flight clubs Everton and subsequently Aston Villa were where he gained most fame, as both clubs enjoyed successful periods and pushed for honours during his time there.

After turning professional, he spent a season-and-a-half at local club Tranmere Rovers before moving across Liverpool to play for Everton. He signed for £30,000 prior to the 1982-83 season.

A fast and strong defender, Mountfield was a composed footballer who could make important contributions at both ends of the pitch.

At Everton he formed a defensive partnership with fellow defender Kevin Ratcliffe and the club leapt to League Championship glory in 1984-85. Everton reached the FA Cup final that season, and won it in 1987. In league matches, he scored an average of one goal every 5.6 matches - an incredible average for a defender. In one season he scored 14 goals in all competitions.

After suffering a few serious injuries he was sold to Aston Villa, where he scored a still impressive 9 goals in 90 appearances in two-and-a-half seasons. He signed for a fee of £450,000. Villa, newly promoted in 1988, struggled in Mountfield's first season but finished second in the league in 1990.

Mountfield's career slowed down after leaving Villa for Wolverhampton Wanderers in November 1991. He stayed for three-and-a-half years, playing 80 league games, but found himself moving to lower-ranked clubs after that.

His last consistent spell in league football was as player, coach and captain of West Midlands side, Walsall. Indeed, such was the measure of respect he was held in by many at the club, he was one of the favourites to replace Jan Sorenson as manager in the summer of 1998. However, the job went to former Aston Villa winger Ray Graydon, and Mountfield left the club to pursue his managerial ambitions.

He is now the presenter of (Liverpool radio station) Radio City's Saturday afternoon football phone-in.
    Become A Supporter 👇

Donate Via PayPal

Donate

I loved Derek Mountfield he was one hell of a player,I think he used to notch up about 15 goals from defence which is very impressive,sadly these days we can't even find a striker to do that for us.I'll never forget his goal in the semi final at Villa Park that took us to Wembley,I was right in line with it behind the goal,in fact I appear in a programme from that game.