HE SHOT to fame with his TV catchphrase ?Just cook will yer? ? now Adelphi boss Brian Birchall is stepping down after 18 years at the world-famous hotel.

Brian was one of the stars of 1997 fly-on-the-wall series Hotel, when his now-famous command to head chef David Smith became a TV hit.

Now Brian ? aged 55 ?and a half? ? is retiring for a taste of the quiet life.

But he will never be able to leave the Adelphi behind, as he still gets asked to sign his autograph and pose for pictures, 12 years after Hotel.

He said: ?I?ve had a fabulous time here. I?m really passionate about it.

?You couldn?t afford to build a hotel like this now. You get used to it when you work here, but when people come in for the first time and see the Grand Lounge, they just say ?wow?.?

Brian says the Adelphi had its busiest year ever in 2008, thanks to Capital of Culture.

He is staying at the hotel for another two weeks to hand over to his successor, David Regan, and to oversee the busy Grand National weekend.

After that, he plans to take time out to relax after a nearly 40-year career working in bars and hotels.

Brian joined the Adelphi in 1991 as head waiter but by 1997, when Hotel was filmed, he was deputy manager.

Hotel?s stars were cheerful Brian and no-nonsense manager Eileen Downey, today a senior manager for Adelphi owner Britannia Hotels.

After the show, Brian won parts in two Liverpool pantomimes and his catchphrase even spawned a tribute single from local band Alternative Radio.

He said: ?Every now and again, I still get followed round Asda.?

Liverpool Echo