Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Duke Street - Rope Walks Areas

Blog Entries

Default Duke Street - Rope Walks Areas

RopeWalks

RopeWalks is a unique area of the City Centre, characterised by the concentration of 19th century warehouses and merchants houses. Much of the street pattern and built fabric is the same today as it was 200 years ago. The long, narrow streets were at one time used to bind rope, and are still the defining characteristic of the area.

Since the early 1990s, RopeWalks has developed as a centre for Liverpools night-time economy and creative industries. Many businesses operating within RopeWalks are drawn from media, publishing, design and communications sectors.

RopeWalks has established itself as part of the city centre living phenomena. Many historic buildings have now been refurbished as apartments and there have been significant amounts of new build on gap sites in the area. An active residential community is now established in the area.

Although the area has been transformed in recent years, a significant number of important sites and buildings still require development and refurbishment. To continue the momentum of regeneration, Liverpool Vision has prepared a Phase 2 Action Plan for RopeWalks. The Action Plan identifies priorities for investment and sets out advice on the delivery of schemes.

To complement the Phase 2 Action Plan, Liverpool Vision has worked closely with Liverpool City Council and other partners to complete the RopeWalks Supplementary Planning Document (SPD). The RopeWalks SPD sets out guidance on the form, scale, use and design of new development in RopeWalks, to ensure that the area continues to develop as a distinctive and diverse quarter of the city. The document was adopted by the City Council in December 2005, to guide development in the area.

To view the RopeWalks Supplementary Planning Document click on the link below:

www.liverpoolvision.co.uk/documents/reports.asp
    www.liverpool.gov.uk/Environment/Planning/Local_Development_Framework/adopted_documents/ropewalks_spd/index.asp

I've been looking at various images of the redevelopment of the RopeWalks area and have picked some to share with you. Your own will be appreciated. Pics found on the SSC web site from various members.

Elysian Fields

Seel St.

Become A Supporter 👇

Donate Via PayPal

Donate

I love the Ropewalks Kev,and it's gradually coming back to life now thank God,there are just so many different type of buildings around every corner and it's great to see the regeneration of the place.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Paul D
    I love the Ropewalks Kev,and it's gradually coming back to life now thank God,there are just so many different type of buildings around every corner and it's great to see the regeneration of the place.
    Its great, I remember Henry Street around 1999, very old and original things just beginning to get going. Those wonderful restorations and developments are going to bring the area back to life, a wonderfully historic part of our city.

Become A Supporter 👇

Donate Via PayPal

Donate

Blog Entries

Default Scandinavia Hotel

THE owner of a landmark Liverpool hotel has withdrawn his appeal against its compulsory purchase. (At Last!!)

Businessman Shook Kwan "Jimmy" Wong said today he had been told he was not likely to win his battle at the high court next week over the future of the Scandinavia Hotel.

The Chinatown building is on the ECHO's Stop the Rot hitlist.

It was the subject of a compulsory purchase order (CPO) after the city council claimed a lack of progress on restoring the site was holding up regeneration in the Rope Walks area.

Mr Wong appealed against the CPO and a three-day public inquiry was held last June whichfound in favour of the city.

But Mr Wong, who has plans to turn the building into a restaurant, snooker hall and oriental museum, took his battle to the high court saying he was concerned the inquiry had not been conducted properly.

He said today he still felt he had been treated unfairly, but added: "I was told I just could not win it.

"But I haven't given up fighting. It's now in the hands of my solicitor and I will let him decide the next move."

Letters of support for Mr Wong had been sent to the high court, including one from Cllr Joe Anderson.

Mr Wong owns 30% of the site, facing on to Nelson Street, and holds a lease on the remainder which is owned by development company Frenson.

Liverpool city council could not give more details on what would happen next. It has previously signed an agreement with developers Downing for a £14m hotel, offices and residential scheme on the site.

Become A Supporter 👇

Donate Via PayPal

Donate

This is THE building that blights the Ropewalks area IMO and I'd love this to be the end of the saga.

Blog Entries

A SIX-YEAR battle to transform one of Liverpool's key gateway sites was a step further to being resolved last night when a court case was ditched at the last minute.

Chinatown's derelict Scandinavian Hotel will be developed into a four-star hotel complex after its owner Jimmy Wong withdrew his appeal against a decision to let Liverpool council acquire the site by compulsory purchase (CPO).

It means developer Downing can move in to build the boutique hotel - but not until after another legal case to decide Mr Wong's compensation.

Ann Lodge, Downing's chief executive, said: "We have kept on fighting for this building because we are very proactive in Liverpool and we think it is an ideal location for a development such as this.

"It is in a very prominent position next to the Chinese arch and a gateway to the city, so it has always been our intention to do this."

Ms Lodge said the company was hoping to start building as soon as the compensation case was resolved.

The facade of the listed building will be retained, with a modern extension behind. There would also be a "cultural building" for the Chinese community, although plans are not finalised.

Mr Wong had hoped to develop the building, at the junction of Nelson Street and Duke Street, in to a 600-seat restaurant, snooker hall and Oriental museum, with a rooftop garden.

Last night he said: "I'm disappointed that I have not been allowed to develop the building. It has always been my dream to develop this building in Chinatown on behalf of the Chinese community and I am now being denied this opportunity.

"I withdrew the appeal against the CPO on the advice of my legal team. I just hope now that I will be given a realistic compensation for the loss of my building.

"I think a big opportunity has been missed to allow a member of Europe's oldest Chinatown to develop a building in the heart of Chinatown that would reflect its Chinese origins."

Cllr Joe Anderson, leader of the Labour group on the city council, had backed Mr Wong's fight, saying the city council was only taking on small businesses because it knew it could win.

He said: "It is tantamount to bullying because he is a man who owns the building and wants to develop it.

"The city council should be putting pressure on people to do things about derelict buildings, but in the past he hasn't had the means to raise the finance.

"However, he has now done more than £100,000 of work on the building and has had support from his bank to renovate it. He has been able to prove that he would have it ready in time for 2008."

graham.davies@liverpool.com
    Become A Supporter 👇

Donate Via PayPal

Donate

The rope walks look like a Ghetto!
    Gididi Gididi Goo.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Max
    The rope walks look like a Ghetto!
    Max, its under massive regeneration and will fantastic when finished
    Become A Supporter 👇

Donate Via PayPal

Donate

Quote Originally Posted by Kev
    Max, its under massive regeneration and will fantastic when finished
    It better be.
    Gididi Gididi Goo.

fantastic news!!!

whats the SCC?
    " If you know your history, then you would know where you coming from".

"I could have been a footballer - but I had a paper round"..Yosser Hughes

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by john
    whats the SCC?
    SSC
    Become A Supporter 👇

Donate Via PayPal

Donate

Sky Scrapers are a must.

The view from them are great.
    Gididi Gididi Goo.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Max
    Sky Scrapers are a must.

The view from them are great.
    Max, why don't u come to the Unity Tour? To the top of the Unity development.
    Become A Supporter 👇

Donate Via PayPal

Donate

Quote Originally Posted by Kev
    Max, why don't u come to the Unity Tour? To the top of the Unity development.
    Where and when is that?
    Gididi Gididi Goo.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast