YO! Liverpool
Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Great Float Birkenhead Docks Area

Thanks

Default Great Float Birkenhead Docks Area

Had a wander around some of the docks on the other side of the river,in Birkenhead. I came across this sunken boat/ship, and also,this other strange looking craft, in the East float (I think that's it's name?)Can any nautical types offer any info' on how the sunken ship, sunk,(as it were), and what exactly is the unusual black ship's purpose?
    Thanks Steve

ADVERTISING

Thanks

Hi Steve,

Lets start with the sunken ship. Its the SARSIA an ex Trawler/Research ship built in 1953 in Dartmouth and was owned by the U.K. Marine Biological Association. In 1986 she was bought privately and a conversion to a luxery yacht was begun. However it appears the owner had a cash flow problem and all work was stopped and nothing happened for years. She was at that time berthed on the Wallasey Dock Road side of the East Float. The MDHB issued a writ on her for mooring fees and she was impounded. The MDHB then moved her to her current position where she sank one winters night some years ago and she has lain there ever since slowly settling into mud at the bottom of the dock.

The strange black boat that you refer to is a Caission which is used to close Dock / Lock entrances when the gates are off and being repaired. It is floated over the lock / dock entrance and then flooded down onto the gates threshold where it seals the entrance to the waters.

Hope this explains everything.

Chris
    Last edited by santos; 03-25-2009 at 10:01 AM.

Thanks
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by santos View Post
    Hi Steve,
    The strange black boat that you refer to is a Cassion which is used to close Dock / Lock entrances when the gates are off and being repaired. It is floated over the lock / dock entrance and then flooded down onto the gates threshold where it seals the entrance to the waters.
    Chris
    Is this cassion only for Birkenhead, or all MDHC locks? MDHC should remove the wreck.They must have insurance to cover this sort if thing.

Here she is:
    Last edited by Waterways; 03-24-2009 at 04:08 PM.
    The new Amsterdam at Liverpool?
    Save Liverpool Docks and Waterways - Click

Deprived of its unique dockland waters Liverpool
    becomes a Venice without canals, just another city, no
    longer of special interest to anyone, least of all the
    tourist. Would we visit a modernised Venice of filled in
    canals to view its modern museum describing
    how it once was?

Giving Liverpool a full Metro - CLICK
    Rapid-transit rail: Everton, Liverpool & Arena - CLICK

Save Royal Iris - Sign Petition

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Waterways View Post
    Is this cassion only for Birkenhead, or all MDHC locks? MDHC should remove the wreck.They must have insurance to cover this sort if thing.

Here she is:
    The Caission is owned by MDHB as far as I know, so therefore could be used anywhere in the system where its size corresponds to the size of the Lock / Dock entrance.

Sarsia is not in the way of anything so I suppose they will leave her there until they need the site, in view of the cost of moving her etc.

Chris.
    Last edited by santos; 03-25-2009 at 10:02 AM.

Thanks

Hiya Steve, I was walking past there this morning and couldn't help but wonder how u got in. I didn't look that hard, but it looked all fenced off.

It was bloody windy there this morning, I'm almost glad I don't work near there anymore

Thanks

Thanks lad's,Great stuff,
    I guessed I would get some good info' on here! It seems a pity the "Sarsia" has been left to deteriorate,it reminds me of houses left to go the same way,surely it could have been sold/used for something or somebody? As for the odd looking ship, it makes perfect sense....once you know As for easy access to the dock,S.S. I/we actually started walking along the prom' and got sidetracked somehow,and that's where we ended up! I was amazed at the size of it,much bigger than anything this side of the river, I think?
    Ta Steve.

Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast