Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Ed Vulliamy: How dare they do this to my Liverpool | Comment is free | The Observer

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by wsteve55 View Post
    no ..... just fade away, as it was,losing half it's population, industry,shipping,buildings, etc,etc,!
    The population mainly moved to the abutting towns, which were rejected by the city to be incorporated. Merseyside is 1.5 million.

The city has been ruined over 60 years by allowing the cheap fast-buck merchants get their way.
    The new Amsterdam at Liverpool?
    Save Liverpool Docks and Waterways - Click

Deprived of its unique dockland waters Liverpool
    becomes a Venice without canals, just another city, no
    longer of special interest to anyone, least of all the
    tourist. Would we visit a modernised Venice of filled in
    canals to view its modern museum describing
    how it once was?

Giving Liverpool a full Metro - CLICK
    Rapid-transit rail: Everton, Liverpool & Arena - CLICK

Save Royal Iris - Sign Petition

Quote Originally Posted by Waterways View Post
    The centre now ends behind Lime St Station.
    It does seem that every new development has to be on the waterfront or in the city centre. Once past Lime St. you do see a very different picture. Surely some of these projects such as the arena could have been located outside the centre/waterfront to help regenerate other areas of our city.

The population mainly moved to the abutting towns, which were rejected by the city to be incorporated. Merseyside is 1.5 million.

The city has been ruined over 60 years by allowing the cheap fast-buck merchants get their way.
    Surely the tourists see how bad things are when they come here imaging it's like what the Beatles use to sing about though too. Maybe they make sure they get the tourists who say the right things.

The city must not prostitute itself.
    Totally agree.

I can't help but feeling hate for Liverpool sometimes though, not just because of this though, the social problems here are sickening. Even the working class are crap people
    Gididi Gididi Goo.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Howie View Post
    It does seem that every new development has to be on the waterfront or in the city centre. Once past Lime St. you do see a very different picture. Surely some of these projects such as the arena could have been located outside the centre/waterfront to help regenerate other areas of our city.
    The arena requires excellent transport links, which Kings Dock does not give. The Wapping Tunnel is near enough but right into the complex. Having it at the bottom of Parliament St is on the edge of the centre & good for transport links. This exhibition hall is best around the Loop where EFC anti-Kirkbyists want a stadium. If Byrom St Stn is opened up it is well served and near the tunnel for the M53.

The focus must be on the centre as all radiate out from that. Hopefully the centre will stretch from Parliament St to Stanley Dock , to an apex at the Met Cathedral.

how it once was?

Back to xmas 1982,Victoria bus station in London." eh mate, where's the Liverpool coach?" "There all going to f***** Liverpool",I was told!! I counted 13 coaches! Not an abutting town I think, and worse was to come! As for fast-buck merchants, realistically,would you expect them to be nice,and look after everyone? Love them ,or hate them, they made Liverpool,and as soon as they thought it was finished,they left quick enough! and since, we've paid the price,until the recent revival! It's a double -edged sword!

Quote Originally Posted by ItsaZappathing View Post
    At last, someone who can see the destruction/vandalism and someone who talks sense
    With you John

Yes the changes will bring money into the area, but I dont like what is being built. I may be in the minoraty but its my feeling. I hate the Lego land buildings on the waterfront, I think it has ruined the view. Others like it so fair play.
    Last edited by Spike; 03-27-2009 at 01:35 AM.
    BE NICE......................OR ELSE

Quote Originally Posted by Howie View Post
    I think Lindylou posted stuff about the development in Great Homer st,( the crashed aircraft?) which looks pretty good,with a t.v.radio studio included,and Speke seems to be on the up(at last!) but you do have a point!

Quote Originally Posted by Spike View Post
    With you John

Yes the changes will bring money into the area, but I dont like what is being built. I may be in the minoraty but its my feeling. I hate the Lego land buildings on the waterfront, I think it has ruined the view. Others like it so fair play.
    Let's see what they do with Old Swan Tech'! And dont forget, the Liver buildings came in for some stick,when it was built!
    Last edited by wsteve55; 03-27-2009 at 01:48 AM.

Blog Entries

Back to xmas 1982,Victoria bus station in London." eh mate, where's the Liverpool coach?" "There all going to f***** Liverpool",I was told!! I counted 13 coaches! Not an abutting town I think, and worse was to come! As for fast-buck merchants, realistically,would you expect them to be nice,and look after everyone? Love them ,or hate them, they made Liverpool,and as soon as they thought it was finished,they left quick enough! and since, we've paid the price,until the recent revival! It's a double -edged sword!
    You missed it. Liverpool's population is calculated with in the city limits. Halewood, Knowsley, Kirkby, Bottle, All the Wirral do not count. These places took a a massive overspill from Liverpool in the 1960s. To most of them the centre is Liverpool centre.

Fast buck merchants ruined the city - well the city did for allowing them to get their way. The city can lay a tight framework in which they can operate and not destroy the city.

You confuse fast buck merchants and investors. Fast buck merchants take the money and run and care nothing after.
    Last edited by Waterways; 03-27-2009 at 11:08 AM.

how it once was?

Blog Entries

Let's see what they do with Old Swan Tech'! And dont forget, the Liver buildings came in for some stick,when it was built!
    We need to take a lesson from the French who are excellent at planning. The French would have firm idea of what to do with the water spaces. A part of the in-filled Kings Dock (the French would not in-fill) was to be apartments, and approval given. The developer pulls out so they consider another IKEA like shed. From residential to commercial usage. Anything that someone proposes gets the nod. No idea at all.
    Last edited by Waterways; 03-27-2009 at 02:27 PM.

how it once was?

At the end of the day Grosvenor was outside private investment money. The application was put in for what was built. Had it been refused, we would still have had the moat house, paradise st multi storey car park and a bit of grass with two park benches on it and a tarmac path running diagonally through it going under the name Chavasse park but was really a blitzed bomb site grassed over. Another investor would have walked away to elsewhere, shaking their heads, like the proposed Brunswick Tower scheme that was kb'd. If anyone thinks what's there now is any worse than before and yet costed no public money, then heaven help us. Georgian buildings lying rotting in Hanover street and School Lane have been brought back into use.

Bringing London Road and Lime street and any premises vacated for L1 is a totally seperate matter and indeed should be and I think will be addressed. M&S is being done out right now and expanded at the rear replacing small outlets fronting Williamson Square. The Woolworth/Top Shop building is now a through arcade but not yet finished. St John's precinct is getting a face lift. The Met Quarter and the new city centre pubs/restaurants are only relatively recent, the City centre is thriving like never before.
    www.inacityliving.piczo.com/

Updated weekly with old and new pics.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Ged View Post
    The guy writing it also did what the Beatles are (in their case wrongfully) accused of doing - Got off to london to line his own pockets when 'my' Liverpool didn't mean too much to him then.
    A bit harsh, Ged. Circumstances led to me having to move out of Liverpool in 1978 but I still consider it 'home' and therefore also 'my' city.

Ha ha, I thought you'd put that. Don't worry it was a wind up for John Zappa who doesn't let anyone forget the Beatles left. I also left the city when work took me elsewhere AND it is still all our city.
    www.inacityliving.piczo.com/

Updated weekly with old and new pics.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by kevin View Post
    A bit harsh, Ged. Circumstances led to me having to move out of Liverpool in 1978 but I still consider it 'home' and therefore also 'my' city.
    The Beatles could not record in Liverpool as there were no facilities. Many people wanting to expanding their professions have to leave their home towns and cities. Nothing new in that.

If you are an ambitious journo you have to go to to where the nationals are based - London.
    Last edited by Waterways; 03-27-2009 at 02:47 PM.

how it once was?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Ged View Post
    At the end of the day Grosvenor was outside private investment money. The application was put in for what was built. Had it been refused, we would still have had the moat house, paradise st multi storey car park and a bit of grass with two park benches on it
    Ged, that is nonsense. No one would propose building on Sefton Park, because they know their envelope would not be opened by the planners. The city did not have a cast-iron framework in place for developers to be guided by - they still do not have, otherwise Peel would not propose Liverpool Waters on a World Heritage Site.

The framework dictates much of a developers outcome - the tighter the constraints the more the city gets what it wants. If it was stated the park is permanent then Westminster would not have proposed that scheme obliterating the park - he would have proposed another keeping the park. Maybe a scheme running around the park into the Baltic triangle.

Many make out the city had no option but to accept that shopping mall they way Westminster proposed. It would have been built, however different to what we ended up with.

Here is what naked lilac said when revising from the USA:
    I just wish they still had Chevis Park and the green area in the City to enjoy still.. It used to be lovely just to sit on the grass .

The element of open-air, and views of the Mersey are being blocked, was sad to me..

http://www.yoliverpool.com/forum/sho...72&postcount=7

how it once was?