Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Liverpool Street Names - Groups - Russian Streets, Welsh Streets, Beatles etc.

From Greek mythology - Kirkdale district, Medea st, Jason walk, and Zante st (Zante is a place in Greece).
    Zante st was demolished some time ago but was right by Medea st.
    Corinth towers.

Are there any more around that area ?

I bought a great book at Old Swan PDSA shop last week called "Street names of the city of Liverpool" author Steven Horton. In it he states the 7 original Liverpool city streets are:
    Castle St , High St ( formerly Juggler St) , Old Hall St , Dale St , Tithebarn St , Chapel St , and Water St.. if thats correct and I am sure someone out there can confirm it do we have a set we could call "The Originals"

Partsky

Fazakerley names
    I grew up in Ferrey Road, Fazakerley, on the Copple House Road end. Our next roads were Gribble and Grieve Road. No idea how they came about, but further down the estate, opposite Fazakerley Hospital there is a whole series of names named after Boer War Battles. Harrismith Road, Delagoa Road, Manica Crescent, Montrovia.
    Bootle
    I am sure the "Poet Streets" in Marsh Lane have been mentioned. Hemens, Longfellow,etc

Formosa Road also, thats where i lived, by Hawksey park
    Quote Originally Posted by Partsky View Post
    Fazakerley names
    I grew up in Ferrey Road, Fazakerley, on the Copple House Road end. Our next roads were Gribble and Grieve Road. No idea how they came about, but further down the estate, opposite Fazakerley Hospital there is a whole series of names named after Boer War Battles. Harrismith Road, Delagoa Road, Manica Crescent, Montrovia.
    Bootle
    I am sure the "Poet Streets" in Marsh Lane have been mentioned. Hemens, Longfellow,etc

Quote Originally Posted by Partsky View Post
    Fazakerley names
    Bootle
    Ferrey,Grieve,Gribble ,and also Drake. I always wondered where those names originated, there was also the bird of prey theme with Falcon Hey, Eagle Dene,Hawksmoor Road, Falcon Hall Road etc all in Fazakerley.

Off Cuckoo Lane in Gateacre there are few bird names Fieldfare Close, Redwing Lane , Siskin Green

I am a late entry to this forum and have found this thread very intresting. Re Ship Roads I used to live in Sylvania Road between Mauratania and Lusitania Roads in what I refered to as Cunard Village.

I may have missed this entry in the thread, if so apologies, but if not try this.

Start at Spellow Lane and "walk" north ( By walk I mean using an A_Z or Google Street view) Look at each street names initial letter,

Oxton Street
    Winslow Street
    Eton Street

Keep going up to Arnot Street and it will spell out all but the last two letters of the names of the firm of builders responsible.
    I think the last letters should be M and S

The Welsh builders were a firm called Owen and William Owen Elias

Oxton Street
    Winslow Street
    Eton Street
    Neston Street
    Andrew Street
    Nimrod Street
    Dane Street
    Wilburn Street
    Ismay Street
    Lind Street
    Lowell Street
    Index Street
    Arnot Street
    Makin Street
    Olney Street
    WeldonStreet
    Euston Street
    Nixon Street
    Elton Street
    Liston Street
    Imrie Street
    Aston Street
    Stuart Road

Starting from the road I lived in Croxteth - Sceptre Road/Walk, Scone Close/Walk, Orb Walk/Close, Throne Road/Walk, Sovereign Way/Road/Walk, Garter Close, Regal Road, Curtana Crescent, Spur Close, Coronet Road, Ampulla Road, Dymoke Road, Mace Road.

---------- Post added at 02:26 AM ---------- Previous post was at 02:19 AM ----------

And also, Griffin, Dragon and Unicorn.

Also - Trispen, Mullion, Petherick, Dodman, Wendron, Delabole, Tintagel, Looe, Falmouth, Portlemouth, Otterton...and there's a couple more around their which may or may not be from Devon/Cornwall.

WELL DONE Lizzie 1.

Naming streets after groups of things, birds, towns, jewels and the like is not as clever as what this firm of builders did, which was to use the initial letters of the street names to encode their names.

I know it is probably heresy to mention it here,but on the Bootle Forum site there are stories about another Welsh Builder "Klondike" Jones. The streets he built were named after his children, I think, Glynn St. Edith Rd, Elizabeth Rd.
    Armchair

Some Welsh streets from the Everton area..........Aber Street, Lavan Street, Tegid Street, Ogwen Street.

Quote Originally Posted by Lizzie1 View Post
    Some Welsh streets from the Everton area..........Aber Street, Lavan Street, Tegid Street, Ogwen Street.
    Conway st too off Netherfield rd.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234