Thread: The Gruesome Past of Merseyside

Default The Gruesome Past of Merseyside

If anyone is interested in the more dark and macabre past of our fascinating region, then I bring your attention to a few books on the topic:

'Criminal Wirral' is an intriguing and entertaining collection of some of the strangest, most despicable and comical crimes that took place on the Wirral peninsula from the Victorian era up until the early twentieth century. Daniel K. Longman's painstaking research has uncovered many fascinating cases that have been long forgotten, and he sheds new light on local causes celebres. The tales are supported by a number of maps with many contemporary and modern photographs, which help to bring these events and the people featured in them back to life. 'Criminal Wirral' will appeal to anyone who has an interest in the darker side of Wirral's history.

Fresh from his research into the dark side of Wirral's history, in his first book 'Criminal Wirral', Daniel K. Longman has plunged back into a brand new selection of terrible and tragic tales. Rather than focusing on crime, he looks at accidents and disasters from the mid-nineteenth century to the early twentieth century - in the countryside and in the towns, and in Birkenhead and Ellesmere Port's chemical factories. From the sad to the spectacular, from overdoses and omnibus crashes to the most incredible unintentional firework display the region has ever seen, this book ranges widely to bring together a collection of stories to fascinate and enthrall all those who know the Wirral peninsula.

Thirty-one more chilling crimes from the Victorian and Edwardian eras with cases ranging from the mummified remains of am elderly woman in Hope Place, to Tuebrook baby-killer Elizabeth Kirkbride. The tales are supported by a number of maps with many contemporary and modern photographs, which help to bring these macabre events and the people featured in them back to life.

'Criminal Wirral II' reveals even more of the strangest, most despicable and comical crimes that took place on the Wirral peninsula from the Victorian era up until the early twentieth century. Daniel K. Longman's intricate research has uncovered many more fascinating cases that have been long forgotten, such as the New Brighton murderer Felix Spicer of 1890, and the sad case of the teenage bride who drowned in rather mysterious circumstances in Birkenhead Park.'Criminal Wirral II' will appeal to anyone who has an interest in the darker side of Wirral's history.

Just thought I'd give them a mention

Blog Entries

Many thanks DKL
    Become A Supporter 👇

Donate Via PayPal

Donate

Quote Originally Posted by DKL View Post
    Just thought I'd give them a mention
    But aren't you Daniel K. Longman? indeed! Your post seems a bit disengenuous if you are not going to own up to being the author. If you are Daniel K. Longman that's okay but don't hide behind a screen name and pretend you are doing anything other than promoting your own books.

One other question. I can see a whole book or two or three on Criminal Liverpool, but is there honestly enough to fill two books, Criminal Wirral I and Criminal Wirral II?

Best regards

Chris
    Christopher T. George
    Editor, Ripperologist
    Editor, Loch Raven Review
    http://christophertgeorge.blogspot.com/
    Chris on Flickr and on MySpace

Aye Chris, it is true, although my full name as a screen name is a bit of a mouthful, plus, I couldn't even try to hide the blatency of the self promotion

Wirral was a surprisingly dangerous place! (and arguably still is) I'll be doing more on the Wirral as there is a wealth of dark material you just wouldn't expect to be happening on the quaint little peninsula, waiting to be uncovered.

Aye Chris, it is true, although my full name as a screen name is a bit of a mouthful, plus, I couldn't even try to hide the blatency of the self promotion

Wirral was a surprisingly dangerous place! (and arguably still is) I'll be doing more on the Wirral as there is a wealth of dark material you just wouldn't expect to be happening on the quaint little peninsula, waiting to be uncovered.

Good luck to you with these publications, Daniel. As you probably realise, I am an author myself. Having published several books on U.S. history, I know the immense work that it entails to put any book together and then go on and promote it. Looks like you have a number of "babies" to take care of!

All the best

Chris
    Christopher T. George
    Editor, Ripperologist

Cheers Chris!

I see you are the editor of the Ripperologist. CWI was featured a couple of years ago in the magazine (if it's the same one) If so, thanks again

I bought the Curtis Warren book as a christmas present for someone.
    Not sure if it is relevant but I am bored and might buy another Merseyside crime book

Cheers Chris!

I see you are the editor of the Ripperologist. CWI was featured a couple of years ago in the magazine (if it's the same one) If so, thanks again
    Hi Daniel

I believe it was us. The late true crime expert Wilf Gregg reviewed new true crime books for us, and he was very good at surveying the titles coming out. Rest assured that we will be continuing to cover such new publications in the wake of Wilf's departure.

All the best

Chris
    Christopher T. George
    Editor, Ripperologist

Oh no did he pass away? He actually rang me at the time to say how he enjoyed the book and seemed genuinely impressed I was only 17. Nice chap. Sorry to hear the news Chris.

Keeping It Real !!!!!!!!! ItsaZappathing's Avatar

Well done to you DKL on your books. Best of luck to you