YO! Liverpool
Results 1 to 12 of 12

Thread: Irish Cattle Boats sinks in the Mersey

  1. #1
    Newbie graysonlad's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Warrington
    Posts
    9
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Default Irish Cattle Boats sinks in the Mersey

    Did I imagine this or did it really happen?
    I seem to recall that a boat, carrying cattle from Ireland to Birkenhead sank in the River Mersey.
    Many of the cattle drowned but some swam ashore. The boat would have been bound for Birkenhead. Once in the docks, the cattle would then be driven along the special cattle runs, along the river wall. they would then been driven, along the public roads by herders to the slaughter house. I seem to recall cattle being driven along Rose Brae from the docks.


    ADVERTISING




    Can any one fill in the details, I think it was some time in the 1950's

  2. #2
    Senior Member Waterways's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    2,924
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
    Blog Entries
    22

    Default

    That is so. Some cattle swam ashore on Crosby beach. The cattle came ashore where 12-Quays is now. The cattle walked along the river wall and over a locks gate. There was hoardings so they did not see the water. They walked into the large slaughter house complex which was between Woodside and Birkenhead Docks. They did not go along public roads.
    The new Amsterdam at Liverpool?
    Save Liverpool Docks and Waterways - Click

    Deprived of its unique dockland waters Liverpool
    becomes a Venice without canals, just another city, no
    longer of special interest to anyone, least of all the
    tourist. Would we visit a modernised Venice of filled in
    canals to view its modern museum describing
    how it once was?


    Giving Liverpool a full Metro - CLICK
    Rapid-transit rail: Everton, Liverpool & Arena - CLICK

    Save Royal Iris - Sign Petition

  3. #3
    Newbie backsplice's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Wallasey
    Posts
    16
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Waterways View Post
    That is so. Some cattle swam ashore on Crosby beach. The cattle came ashore where 12-Quays is now. The cattle walked along the river wall and over a locks gate. There was hoardings so they did not see the water. They walked into the large slaughter house complex which was between Woodside and Birkenhead Docks. They did not go along public roads.
    .

    That slaughterhouse complex was called the Lairage. One of the cattle boats I recall was called the Dundalk. We had her in Lairds for repairs in the early sixties. I was working ashore at the time as a stager in the yard and I remember erecting a platform for riveters to work on in the hold. It stank!
    Backsplice

  4. #4
    Member Ron Ham's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Tokoroa, New Zealand
    Posts
    61
    Thanks
    9
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Blog Entries
    2

    Default Irish Cattle boat

    I have just submitted a long reply to this thread , but it was not accepted because it claimed I was not logged in ,when in fact I was ! Why ! Ron

  5. #5
    Re-member Ged's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Here, there & everywhere.
    Posts
    7,198
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 7 Times in 5 Posts

    Default

    That's happened to me as though you're timed out, but you shouldn't lose your reply, so when you re-log in, it will still appear.
    www.inacityliving.piczo.com/

    Updated weekly with old and new pics.

  6. #6
    Senior Member lindylou's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    3,678
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post

    Default

    It's happened to me a few times. It drives you mad if you lose a long post after taking a long time to type.
    Maybe If you're not fast at typing like me, it might be advisable to type everything in a word document first at your own pace, then copy it straight over to reply post.

  7. #7
    Senior Member gregs dad's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    kirkby
    Posts
    2,636
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 4 Times in 4 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by backsplice View Post
    .

    That slaughterhouse complex was called the Lairage. One of the cattle boats I recall was called the Dundalk. We had her in Lairds for repairs in the early sixties. I was working ashore at the time as a stager in the yard and I remember erecting a platform for riveters to work on in the hold. It stank!
    Backsplice
    The remnants of the old cattle pier are still there see
    http://www.yoliverpool.com/forum/sho...ier#post161119
    THE BEST VITAMIN FOR MAKING FRIENDS ? B.1

    My Flickr site: www.flickr.com/photos/exacta2a/

    http://flickrhivemind.net/User/exacta2a

  8. #8
    Senior Member Waterways's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    2,924
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
    Blog Entries
    22

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by lindylou View Post
    It's happened to me a few times. It drives you mad if you lose a long post after taking a long time to type.
    Maybe If you're not fast at typing like me, it might be advisable to type everything in a word document first at your own pace, then copy it straight over to reply post.
    After writing every post I do this:

    1. put cursor in the text.
    2. <Ctl> A - (this highights the text)
    3. <Ctl> Insert - puts the highlighted text into the memory buffer. Now saved!!!

    If any problems then you can retrieve the text. Put the cursor in a box (or even Word) and then <shift> insert. The text it pasted out of the buffer.

    Just a few quick key stokes and all is well.

    Try it.
    The new Amsterdam at Liverpool?
    Save Liverpool Docks and Waterways - Click

    Deprived of its unique dockland waters Liverpool
    becomes a Venice without canals, just another city, no
    longer of special interest to anyone, least of all the
    tourist. Would we visit a modernised Venice of filled in
    canals to view its modern museum describing
    how it once was?


    Giving Liverpool a full Metro - CLICK
    Rapid-transit rail: Everton, Liverpool & Arena - CLICK

    Save Royal Iris - Sign Petition

  9. #9
    Senior Member lindylou's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    3,678
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post

    Default

    Thanks WW.

    I've noted that down and will give it a try.

  10. #10
    paddy Paddy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Watford
    Age
    63
    Posts
    374
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Default

    I do it like you suggested Lindylou. Sometimes after you have transferred you must re register.
    Oh as I was young and easy in the mercy of his means,
    Time held me green and dying
    Though I sang in my chains like the sea.

    Dylan Thomas

  11. #11
    Smurf Member scouse smurf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Bootle
    Age
    44
    Posts
    933
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Default

    I'm sure I read all that about copying and pasting a cpl of months ago but it says it was all posted today

  12. #12
    Member Ron Ham's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Tokoroa, New Zealand
    Posts
    61
    Thanks
    9
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Blog Entries
    2

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by graysonlad View Post
    Did I imagine this or did it really happen?
    I seem to recall that a boat, carrying cattle from Ireland to Birkenhead sank in the River Mersey.
    Many of the cattle drowned but some swam ashore. The boat would have been bound for Birkenhead. Once in the docks, the cattle would then be driven along the special cattle runs, along the river wall. they would then been driven, along the public roads by herders to the slaughter house. I seem to recall cattle being driven along Rose Brae from the docks.

    Can any one fill in the details, I think it was some time in the 1950's
    The vessel was the Stormont & sank on the Pluckington Bank off Albert Dk ,after colliding with the Trooper Empire Brent ,former Letitia , in 1946 , Ron

Similar Threads

  1. Mersey Boats, Ships, Vessels and other floating things
    By Kev in forum Liverpool's Maritime and Docklands
    Replies: 301
    Last Post: 03-01-2012, 12:40 PM

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

For daily updates, to support us further or to join in the conversation: Follow us on Twitter @YOLiverpool / Like our Facebook Page: @yoliverpoolpics / Join the Facebook Group: YO! Liverpool Pictures

× Thanks for coming to the web site. Support our future by turning off your Ad-Blocker or consider a donation via PayPal or Credit Card!