Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Lennons Supermarket And Ariel Parade Garston

Default Lennons Supermarket And Ariel Parade Garston

Anyone got any photographs of the old Lennons as it was or any of Ariel Parade in Garston Village?

Have some quite vivid memories of these but can't find any pics anywhere!!

Thanks in advance

Quote Originally Posted by vic synex View Post
    Anyone got any photographs of the old Lennons as it was or any of Ariel Parade in Garston Village?

Thanks in advance
    I'll check with the Garston Historical Society for you. We'd like to hear your memories on Yo Liverpool

Blog Entries

I got my first job after leaving school on the "new block" opposite the baths, St Marys rd. was our address. The shop was one of the W.E. Kearns chain of butchers. I started there as it was being fitted out and we thought it was really posh. Woolworths were a couple of doors up from us and Lennons opened about a year or so later. Thought it was c.r.a.p. then. Irwins was where we got our intermediate groceries ,Mum used to go into Liverpool on a Saturday for the real food shopping.

In Garston as a boy, I remember Harry Wells the Barber (later Joe Cummings I think?) on Church Road just before you went under the bridge. Opposite Harry Well's on the corner of Church Road and Speke Road was a shop that sold ex-catalogue items, remember Mum buying a sofa there once.
    Next door, along Speke Road was (I think) the Transport Union office. Then there was the TSB which was still there last time I went "home".
    I seem to recall an electrical shop or was it "D.E.R." where we used to rent our telly from? A bit further up was Woolworths, a Green Grocer and the Post Office which had a Bakers shop next door, then came Ariel Parade.
    I seem to recall some sort of benefit office on Ariel Parade, I remember sitting with Mum while she had some sort of interview there not long after my Dad died.
    I think there was a furniture store on the corner of Ariel Parade, Mum seemed to spend a lot of time in there.
    Then there was Lennons. I remember there were two doors at Lennons, you went in through the right hand door and came out through the left one.
    As you went in I seem to recall the off licence bit on the left and the frozen food being at the back. One of my most vivid memories was spewing up in there as a kid and my Mum being really embarassed telling one of the shop women who gave me the dirtiest look imaginable!
    Over the road was the Job Centre and next door to that was Kwik-save (can't remember what it used to be?) Then there was the bus depot and all the bus stops (we used to get the 86 home). Then there was the washouse and the baths where I used to have to go with my school every Thursday.
    I think there was a chippy and another shop then before the crossroads. Round the corner of Church Road walking up towards the hospital there was a shop which sold wool and knitting patterns, another of Mum's favourite shops!
    If anyone can fill in any blanks or correct any errors, I'd much appreciate it.

Default Garston of old!

The business that you call 'Kwik Save' next to 'the 'dole' (Job Centre) used to be 'Lim-o-coat' who during the war manufactured textile and canvas items,etc. and I believe was owned by the Wilson family (Harold Wilson ex PM), the 'chippy' in my day, was 'Greens'

I went to school in Wellington Street in 1962 and remember the shop next but one to Garston baths was a fancy goods place that also sold sports equipment. One of the kids in our class bought a big sheath knife there and was stupid enough to start waving it around in the shool yard, only to have it confiscated.

Blog Entries

Limocoat was owned by Henry Wilson,not Harold, he used to drive a light bronze Daimler which had a metallic finish.You would see him nearly every day,sitting behind the wheel of that lovely car as he drove through the village. He was never without his trilby hat and wore gold rimmed glasses. They used to manufacture army and navy kit and had a big storage place on Speke Airport.
    I used to enjoy a bit of banter with the girls sitting outside the factory when I used to walk home to Speke Road Gardens. Happy days.

Quote Originally Posted by brian daley View Post
    Limocoat was owned by Henry Wilson,not Harold, he used to drive a light bronze Daimler which had a metallic finish.You would see him nearly every day,sitting behind the wheel of that lovely car as he drove through the village. He was never without his trilby hat and wore gold rimmed glasses. They used to manufacture army and navy kit and had a big storage place on Speke Airport.
    I used to enjoy a bit of banter with the girls sitting outside the factory when I used to walk home to Speke Road Gardens. Happy days.
    'Happy Days' indeed Brian! I knew it was one of the Wilson's! I guess Harold was too involved with politics to run a business, never knew that they had girls working there!!! something I missed out on Eh!!!
    P.S. The attachment is a photo of a few of us lads from the 'Tennies and Horrocks Ave who used to play football on the ground where your school was built, now Highbank Drive.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Horrocks United!!.jpg 
Views:	430 
Size:	693.6 KB 
ID:	9562  

Blog Entries

Hi Norm, I was a Heath Rd pupil,it was an old school,the newest buildings on site were the dining block and the new kids block .They were at either end of the school and were like prefabs.
    Looking at that photo with the big shin pads and the enormous boots,boots that seemed like they were made of cast iron rather than leather ,takes me right back. Can you name the guys in the snap. I wonder which one is you and if there are any more from the Tennies. Let us know iof you can remember,
    Cheers ,
    BrianD

Default Lennons Supermarket , Speke Rd, Garston

Thanks in advance
    Photo attached of Lennons Supermarket. Copyright and courtesy of Liverpool Record Office
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Lennons Supermarket Garston jpg.jpg 
Views:	1574 
Size:	151.0 KB 
ID:	9563  

Blog Entries

cheers taffy glad to see a 'minivan' on there too
    Become A Supporter 👇

Donate Via PayPal

Donate

Brilliant pic Taffy, thanks a lot for finding it.

Just found out I've got to go to Allerton next week to visit my Sister, think I'll pop down to Garston and see what's left

Blog Entries

Is that a garage next to Lennon's? I seem to recall it was owned by the MP for Garton - who lived in the same road as me: Caldwell Road.

Years later I sailed with a guy who had been that MP's campaign manager. He'd been sailing yachts for years and was getting some sea time in before taking a yacht out to the West Indies. He must have been in his early 50s and it was his first trip as 3rd mate. He spent a few trips with us out in the West Indies then left to start up his yachting business again. Always thought we might bump into him on future trips but we never did.

PS
    Just done a search and don't recognise any MP names for Garston as being the bloke from our road. Think my memory is playing tricks and he stood for MP but didn't win the election.

Default Old Garston Photos and history

Brilliant pic Taffy, thanks a lot for finding it.

Just found out I've got to go to Allerton next week to visit my Sister, think I'll pop down to Garston and see what's left
    Whilst you're in Garston, pop into the Garston Community Council's building at the bottom of Speke Rd, next to Church Rd. They have all the Garston Historical Society's publications for sale with lots of old photos.

Default Garston garage, Speke Rd, Garston

Quote Originally Posted by kevin View Post
    Is that a garage next to Lennon's? I seem to recall it was owned by the MP for Garton - who lived in the same road as me: Caldwell Road.
    Yes it's a garage and surprisingly enough was called Garston Garage.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast