Page 27 of 52 FirstFirst ... 17252627282937 ... LastLast

Thread: Ships gallery

Blog Entries

Nice one Brian. I love them tugs they have in New York.

Default SS Orient

Hi,

Saw the picture of the SS Orient in the gallery. I am currently writing a piece about her. I don't know anything about ships but I am a supporter of Leyton Orient Football Club and our name is linked to the Orient Shipping Line and the SS Orient was their flagship. Anyway, the story goes that one of our football club's committee members was so fond of the SS Orient that he suggested the club adopt that name at an AGM in 1888.

Hence my interest. I am putting together a short article about her for the club's official programme and I wondered if you knew of any interesting stories.

Thanks
    Dave

Blog Entries

Hi Dave,
    I never sailed with the Orient Line,and I'm not sure that many others on this site did either. The Orient had Lascar deck crews,so it would be offficers and engineers ,plus some catering crew that would have made up the British element of those crews. If I were you I would try the Mercantile Marine site or Ships Nostalgia,a lot of seafarers are on those sites. Best of luck,
    BrianD

P.S. Please feel free to download any pics from my postings,
    BD

Blog Entries

The twin funnelled iron paddle tug Vigilant was built in 1874 by John Readhead &Co. of South Shields for Dr. M. Brownefiekd of Poplar,but in 1894 she was re-acquired by her builders for their own shipyard purposes,albeit registered in the name of a local tug operator George Brown,who in 1923 reconstituted his business as the Brown Tug Co. Ltd.. Vigilant was broken up only in 1930 after a working life of no fewer than 56 years.
    The painting was by the artist S. Cummings and shows her entering the Tyne while behind her the nearly completed northern protective pier is shown being built,
    BrianD
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Vigilant (Medium).jpg 
Views:	193 
Size:	89.8 KB 
ID:	13316  

Blog Entries

Here is an intersting old Tug, I first saw it in 2006 and then last March I went back and she is still there. She lies almost on the beach at Ushuaia, Tierra del Fuego. in the Beagle Channel near to Cape Horn. She was abandonded there in 1957. She served in WW2 and was at Normandy. She still looks in good condition after more than half a century of ice and snow with Antarctic winds blowing at her
    It is a pity she could not be brought back to the UK and preserved.
    The story below is from Wilkipedia, with thanks.

HMS Justice (W-140), a Royal Navy ship classified as a rescue tug, was built in the United States as U.S. Navy ATR-1-class rescue tug USS ATR-20. Never commissioned into the U.S. Navy, she was transferred to the Royal Navy under Lend-Lease at delivery. Returned to the U.S. after the end of World War II, she was redesignated BATR-20. Struck and sold for commercial service in 1946, she was eventually grounded at Ushuaia, Argentina and abandoned.

[edit] Operational history
    ATR-20 was laid down by Camden Shipbuilding & Marine Railway Co., Camden, Maine, 20 January 1943; launched 18 October 1943; sponsored by Miss Joy D. Creyk; transferred to the United Kingdom under lendlease 24 April 1944; and commissioned as HMS Justice at Boston, Massachusetts, the same day, Lt. J. S. Allison, RNR, in command.

During the remainder of World War II, Justice served as a rescue tug in the Royal Navy. She reportedly served at the Normandy invasion in June 1944.[1]

Justice was returned to the U.S. Navy on 20 March 1946 and redesignated BATR-20. She was struck from the Naval Vessel Register on 3 July 1946 and sold 3 October 1947 to Leopoldo Simoncini of Buenos Aires as the Costa Rican-flagged St. Christopher.[1] In 1953 she was chartered for salvage operations in Beagle Channel on the sunken South American Hamburg Company[2] cruise ship SS Monte Cervantes along with several Argentine Navy vessels.[1]

After suffering engine trouble and rudder damage in 1954, she was laid up at Ushuaia, Argentina. She was beached and abandoned there in 1957, and, in 2004, had her remaining fuel oil removed. As of 2007,[3] St. Christopher is still grounded and abandoned at Ushuaia.[1]

Coordinates: 54°48′35″S 68°18′29″W / 54.809694°S 68.308117°W / -54.809694; -68.308117
    [edit] References

Name:	IMG_0003.JPG 
Views:	203 
Size:	39.5 KB 
ID:	13332  

Blog Entries

When a tug had you under tow and you reached your time for parting ,the man with the most onerous task was the one who had to "knock off". if the tow rope was taut and under great strain the job could be fraught with danger and here we see one such a man about to do his job.Stand well clear!!!When he swings his maul hammer and that rope is released the tension that is unleashed is quite awesome,
    BeianD

Name:	The Knock Off (Medium).jpg 
Views:	182 
Size:	39.2 KB 
ID:	13337  

Quote Originally Posted by brian daley View Post
    When a tug had you under tow and you reached your time for parting ,the man with the most onerous task was the one who had to "knock off". if the tow rope was taut and under great strain the job could be fraught with danger and here we see one such a man about to do his job.Stand well clear!!!When he swings his maul hammer and that rope is released the tension that is unleashed is quite awesome,
    BeianD
    He looks pretty wary!

Keeping It Real !!!!!!!!! ItsaZappathing's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by brian daley View Post
    BeianD
    Well I never knew that. Nice one Brian.

Blog Entries

Nice one guys. Love 'em.

Blog Entries

I once had the -privilage of sailing on a Tug, the steam tug Kerne, she is the oldest tug in the UK still sailing. owned by a group of enthuiasts, I was invited by one of the senior members Alan, to help to sail her from Birkenhead to Manchester then up the River weaver. I even threw a pitch on down below. she had a right hand and a left hand shovel. the fires are a little too near the bulkhead . A very interesting genuine steamer..
    She was built in 1913 and named `TERRIOR` by the Admiralty to work arounf the Chatham and Medway area. in 1948 she was sold and renamed `Kerne`, then sold again to Liverpool owners. in 1971 she was left in Waterloo Dock to await the scrap yard. A group of Steam Enthusiasts found her and then preserved her and they have been sailing her around the North West ever since, To North Wales, Manchester, Weaver Preston and the Isle of Man.She has appeared in a few movies, and also in a TITANIC film with Barbara Strysand,

Here is a photo of Steam Tug Kerne, from their web site, with thanks , hope you dont mind.

Name:	Kerne.gif 
Views:	185 
Size:	659.2 KB 
ID:	13365  

Blog Entries

The Steam Tug Kerne Preservation Society Ltd web site www.tugkerne.co.uk
    On their site are many steam ships to read about complete with photos and sometimes sound effects. Very interesting.

Blog Entries

This is the North shields wooden paddle trawler Electric SN1394,she was built in 1883 as a tug but,like many of her kind was converted for fishing and was so employed until superceded by purpose built screw trawlers.clearly visible as she enters the Tyne, are the towing bow on her after decks and,amidships,the derrick and the samson post fitted for the handling of trawl nets.
    The Electric reverted to towage in 1893 and is recorded as having ventured out 100 mile in the North sea on a rescue mission as late as 1912.
    This study was by John Davison Liddell ,a painter of inshore and riverine subjects,mainly on Tyneside,
    BrianD

Name:	Electric (Medium).jpg 
Views:	148 
Size:	88.3 KB 
ID:	13465  

Blog Entries

And here we have a late arrival,the Massilia. She was built in 1884 by Caird & Co. of Greenock for the Australian and Far Esatern service of the Peninsular and Oriental Steam Navigation Co., her name reflecting the ancient Greek for Marseilles. This was an important port of call for the P.& O ships for it was where they made connection with French railway system and could pick up mail which had travelled overnight from the U.K.,conversely she could drop mail for England which would reach England a week before the ship..
    The artist,J.W .Fellowes has shown her with the P & O houseflag on her main mast and the signal flags B.N.C.I.,which, in the Commercial Code of Signals then in force, proclaimed her destination as Sydney,
    BrianD

Name:	Massilia (Medium)&.jpg 
Views:	173 
Size:	100.0 KB 
ID:	14086  

Blog Entries

Here is another work by Charles Dixon,this was commissioned by Holland America Line and shows the Vollendam sailing away from Holland,hope you like it,
    BrianD

Name:	Vollendam (Mediu&#109.jpg 
Views:	146 
Size:	65.6 KB 
ID:	14153  

Blog Entries

Great pictures Brian.

Page 27 of 52 FirstFirst ... 17252627282937 ... LastLast