Page 26 of 52 FirstFirst ... 16242526272836 ... LastLast

Thread: Ships gallery

Brian... you wouldn't happen to have a pic of the "Marchioness of Clydesdale" (circa 1848-1853) would you?

Links back to the genealogy thread...

Blog Entries

I have'nt got that one Al, but you could look in the "old ships pictures site",they have literally thousands of pictures,they are ranged chronologicaly and alpha betically.
    Good hunting !
    BrianD

Lightbulb This ship has...

...childhood memories for me.

It's the Shell tanker Zenatia built at Cammell Lairds. Our Liverpool neighbor worked on it, and he took my family to the launching in 1957.

As a 9 year old, I must have been very impressed at the big ship sliding down with a splash that I can still remember it...

The memories came back in the early 90's when I saw a model of it on display at the Maritime Museum in Long Beach, California, with a label that said it had been scrapped in 1976 - made me feel old...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Zenatia-05.jpg 
Views:	157 
Size:	79.4 KB 
ID:	12852  

Blog Entries

Here are a few photos of the QUEEN MARY 2, The UKs biggest liner.she went to Liverpool last October.
    These photos were taken on her maiden voyage
    1 Pool decks. 2 looking aft. 3 QM2. 4 Party time on deck, 5 sunset. 6 In the Wheelhouse, 147 feet wide.7 After deck. 8 Our dinner table.
    9 Britannia Restraurant.
    10 Pods, there are four two rotate 360 degrees, there is no rudder.
    11 Fore deck. 12 Wheelhouse,
    13 Restaurant, 14 just had dinner, leaving Restraurant

Name:	QM2 No3 008.jpg 
Views:	331 
Size:	638.1 KB 
ID:	12853   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	QM2 No2 006.jpg 
Views:	138 
Size:	646.6 KB 
ID:	12854   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	qm2.jpg 
Views:	131 
Size:	130.5 KB 
ID:	12855   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	QM2 No2 037.jpg 
Views:	133 
Size:	648.0 KB 
ID:	12856   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	QM2 094.jpg 
Views:	149 
Size:	355.1 KB 
ID:	12857  

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	QM2 No2 013.jpg 
Views:	136 
Size:	642.7 KB 
ID:	12858   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	QM2 No3 009.jpg 
Views:	162 
Size:	644.8 KB 
ID:	12859   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	QM2 No3 028.jpg 
Views:	150 
Size:	642.2 KB 
ID:	12860   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	QM2 007.jpg 
Views:	149 
Size:	607.9 KB 
ID:	12861   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	qmpods QM2.jpg 
Views:	136 
Size:	77.1 KB 
ID:	12862  

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	QM2 No2 008.jpg 
Size:	638.4 KB 
ID:	12864   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	QM2 No2 009.jpg 
Size:	642.7 KB 
ID:	12865   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	QM2 No3 025.jpg 
Views:	147 
Size:	626.2 KB 
ID:	12869   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	QM2 016.jpg 
Views:	130 
Size:	586.0 KB 
ID:	12870  

Blog Entries

Tremendous set of pictures Brian, I feel very envious of you, I'll have to make do with the Woodside ferry,
    BrianD

Blog Entries

Here is a grand old lady who did 33 years of service on the U.K. to New Zealand service. Built in 1929 ,the M.V. Rangitki was designed to operate via the Panama canal and served from 1929 to the time of scrapping in 1962. She carried 100 first,85 second and 400 third class passengers. She could load 13,000 tons of cargo and had a final service speed of 15.5 knots. The New Zealand Shipping company also had rwo other ships of this class on the same service, the Rangitoto and the Rangitane,
    BrianD

Name:	S,S. Rangitiki (Medium).jpg 
Views:	141 
Size:	28.6 KB 
ID:	12883  

Blog Entries

Here is the BP Tanker` BRITISH CROWN, 18,565 grt.
    She had an explosion in the pump room when loading a cargo of crude oil in UMM SAID in Quatar in 1966
    killing 18 men , 41 survived.The ship was totally destroyed.The Midship house including the bridge in the first photo was totally destroyed.

Name:	brit. crown 1966.jpg 
Views:	128 
Size:	18.1 KB 
ID:	13092   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	british crown.jpg 
Views:	131 
Size:	15.6 KB 
ID:	13093   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	british crown ummsaid 1966.jpg 
Views:	124 
Size:	13.9 KB 
ID:	13094   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	british crown bp.jpg 
Size:	20.0 KB 
ID:	13095  

Hi Captain Kong and Brian D,
    Haven't been on the Yo for a while but have just been having a look at your Picts and Stories etc.You really do a Great Job and some of the Old Salts really must get a lot of enjoyment from you both. Also they probably give you some information.I'm still chasing info about the Sagamore and my G/dad
    looks like Ne Foundland has quite a bit of info but Its looking a bit expensive.Just have to wait and see.I am still looking for a Houlders Bros ship S.S.British Transport she was the ship that rammed the U-49,which sank the Sagamore.Have a photo of her sister ship S.S.British India.Anyway I am interested to see your "British Crown" photos and Story.Not sure if I mention I was a Student come Graduate come apprentice with Babcock & Wilcox at the Renfrew Works 1951-53.They were not impressed when I said "I was going to Sea" Had done my fist 2 1/2 years at Bromborough Power Station building No. 1 and 2 Boilers. Just by the Eastham Locks into the Mersey and the Manchester Ship Canal. Had just about finished my time and had to go with another tradesman down to Gourock April maybe 1953.As the
    "S.S.British Crown " was on her trials after being built by Cammel Lairds. During her trials one of the Steam Drum Manhole Doors was leaking badly.B & W were pretty concerned as they only had three more days as she had to be handed over by Contract and B & W would be under the penalty clause.The B & W " Big Boss"
    had told Alec the Tradesmans name was. Then he told me.I can remember clear as a bell saying to him we have to get a Face Plate to get Marking Blue on for the Drums Manhole Face.Its a long story I had been involved when I had noticed that when the drums were stressed relieved after all the M/C Welding an area of 3 - 4 square foot of the area over one end of rh drum at the entranc of the furnace (Through the inspection Holes in the door) was dullish red compared to the glowing red at the peak temp. It appears that there was a draught area over top of the furnace door.This was just enough to stop a small area not being heated to the required temp.Anyway we got on board and you can imagine it was still pretty warm the Boiler.There was no way Alec was going to be able to get in the Drum.I was fit as a buck rabbit as I was Playing part tnme pro footbal and trained hard.Got the Drum Door off and off its hinge. The machined face of the Door was fine no twist or anything. I got into the drum and we got the face plate on my knees and blue it. Got the Face Plate against ther machined surface of the manhole and jiggled it around the manhole.I could see there was a wee light coming in just above my left shoulder.Got it back on my knees and no sign of blue for about 6 inches either side of 11 0'clock of my left shoulder. So we got the face plate back on the manhole cover again. Alec then got the feeler gauges and made a sketch of what the gaps were.About 20 thou in the middle and 8 inches either side to nothing, but the face had curled slightly.The Big Boss of B & W had arrived withthe Marine Super of BP and the Ministry of Transport Marine surveyor. It was because of the furnace draught that must have caused it and they started to debate.I was in a position now where I could join.So I gave my thoughts that the stess would not have affected the area as the welding was no closer than 4 ft 6 inches,but what had happened when the boilers had been fired up and on the trials to full steam pressure think it was 1400.psi the wee bit of stress had just distorted the M/ced face and it just had to be filed and ground till the face plate gave 100% mark (it was going to be a hell of a job and only the young guys could handle inside the drum as it wasn't going to cool down very quickly. When I got out after Alec used the feelers I told the boss that1 hour in and two hours out and we needed the 4 best 5th year apprentices who played some kind of sport.I also said it would be at the most 30 hours and they would be back on trials. The Marine Surveyor just turned round and said " That sounds good to me just plenty of forced fresh Aiir and lots of nice clean sheets in the drum to stop the metal filings or grindings. I was even asked which apprentices by the boss. Also in the tool room they had what would have been just about the first of the elctric smaller type grinders.Also during every hours grinding we used the face plate to blue mark and make sure we were keeping on track.The Chief engineer offered a spare cadet engineers cabin with 3 bunks in it for a sleep if needed.Plus an ongoing supply of sandwiches and lime water.The Boss asked about the Union Shop Steward being notified and I said "no"
    only because he was a pretty good one and he was away fffor two days at a Union Conference in Glasgow.Must admit I think he made a sigh.Anyway we did the Job in 28 hours which really wasn't a bad guess.We stayed aboard and went on the trials,actually we all kipped down for an hour or two but there wasn't a weep of any kind when she was flat stick.We all got a bit of a bonus and the following day off with Pay and the Unionn guyCan't remember his name said you handled it well and you all were happy with what you got.The day before I left B & W Alec Gave me an envelope and told me he didn't want me to open it before I got home to Liverpool the two days later.There was a note in it and !00 Pound all different Scottish Bank Notes.His note Thank me for making sure he didn't have to get in the drum as the heat he said he wouldn't have been able to handle.He also said his bonus was a bit more than the 5 of us young ones and the hundred Pound was just a big Thak You.Managed to keep the Scottish Pounds for quite a few years and the note I had up to 2 years ago when we moved a lot of furniture which we gave to the Sally Army and i think it was in one of the draws.Funnily enough Guys there is an ex Chief of the British Crown has his own web site.Must tell you about My other grand Dad Capt Berry on the Bramley Moore.He was Master on the "Waterloo" Alexander Tug Boat 1911 census.Best Rgards Ken B

Blog Entries

Nice one Ken.

Blog Entries

Very intersting story Ken
    Cheers.
    Brian.

Blog Entries

Very interesting and detailed story Ken,and well told too. Glad you like our site,hope to hear more from you,
    BrianD

Blog Entries

And now for some pictures of vessels that Ocean going ships depend on when they arrive in port, the tugs! Those gallant little work horses that help us in and out of port.
    This is the Security of the Elliot Steam tug Co., which was founded by a Thames pilot in the early 1860's to "engage in seeking and in salvage" which was still active in ship towage in the London River until shortly after World War Two.
    The painting was by E. Pelham Jones for whom there are no biographical notes,
    BrianD

Name:	Tugs1 001 (Medium).jpg 
Views:	142 
Size:	58.0 KB 
ID:	13243  

Blog Entries

the basic shape is still the same even after 150 years.
    an excellent painting, the sea is so real.

Hi Guys,
    The tug shape has never change as you say captain kong.The painting of the Security is a beaut. Think I have mentioned my Grandad Captain Berry on the Alexandeer Towing Co. tug "Bramley Moore" He signed an employment Agreement with the Alex Co in 1926 August.His wages were 6 pound 6 shillings a week plus a commision of 10% of cargo value while he was in command.Prior to 1926 didn't have a clue what e was up to.The 1911 census comes out and he is Master of the Alex tug named "Waterloo".Census night he was on board and filled in the Crew as head of the vessel.I will list them in another email if thats OK and anyone who might find a rellie there I'll send them a copy.It doen't indicate where she is berthed,but all the names of the crew,Position andome is on the census p;us age of course.So that was another search to find her.A chap gave me a lead and said to get into the Swansea Harbour board site.1912 Alex Towing sold her to Swansea and opened up the Alex Tow. Co. in Swansea.They changed her name to the "Mumbles" (funny I can remember scrambling over those rocks as a lad before the war)
    Alsogot a photo of her in the "Waterloo" colours and oneof her in her "Mumbles" colours. The the bonus arrived I found a photo of her on support stay and blocks in a ship breakers yard taken in 1956. She really looked as though she could be fired up and steam away. The photo shows it was Briton Ferry Yard and she was built in 1899.And she still looked a Lady.The Old Rangi Boats,did a great service.I was on the new "Rangitane" for a couple of years.2 --6 Cylinder Doxford Engines beautiful engines on Diesel ,then the ccost of boiler oil was much cheaper so the heated it up to 249 degrees and wound the fuel pressure up to over 3,000 psi and they literally became work horses.Maybe should say busesas they stopped on requets for a breakdown.Thanks again I have a gretat time on this site Ken B

Blog Entries

I took this one myself when I was outward bound through the Med and we passed this homeward bound Ton Smits deep sea tug. She looked so powerful like a seagoing pit bull. Ken, if you have any pictures of tugs,or ships ,we'd love to see them
    BrianD

Name:	Smits Tug Med.jpg 
Views:	155 
Size:	26.0 KB 
ID:	13293  

Page 26 of 52 FirstFirst ... 16242526272836 ... LastLast