Page 18 of 52 FirstFirst ... 8161718192028 ... LastLast

Thread: Ships gallery

Blog Entries

Hi Brian, I think you were spot on mate, I could just about make out the name after you suggested it. By the way Charles Dixon entitled the picture Duchess of the Atlantic as a term of praise not that he named an actual ship,
    Briand

Blog Entries

Another great Charles Dixon study,this one is of the White Star Liner Britannic.
    The original painting hangs in the Ulster Folk and transport Museum.
    She is very like the Titanic,
    BrianD
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Britannic (Medium).jpg 
Views:	170 
Size:	68.3 KB 
ID:	11724  

Blog Entries

Hi Brian.
    here she is as the Hospital ship obviously just before she was sunk either by mine of torpedo.

Name:	c1britannic sister of Titanic..jpg 
Views:	160 
Size:	38.2 KB 
ID:	11725  

This is a ship my grandfather sailed on - we found this when researching our family history. Just wondering if anyone would know where its possible to find crew lists for these types of ships? It is the Palmella (Ellerman Lines)

Thanks in anticipation

Name:	Palmella-01.jpg 
Views:	164 
Size:	48.9 KB 
ID:	11733  
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/anthonybeyga/

'and here I'll stay'.......

Blog Entries

Great picture Birdy,I was on the Palmelian,another Ellerman boat ,in the 60's.Now ,as to crew lists,you could try the National Archives at Kew,they will need dates,the vessels name and money. They charge for their services but are very helpful.You could also try Billy Mcghee on the Mercantile Marine site ,I have found him very helpful in the past. Best of luck in your endeavours,
    Briand

Hi Brian, thanks for that, much appreciated. We did try Kew originally but it appears that some records for crew lists around the period (early 1900's) were destroyed and so it was a bit difficult. Coupled with that we had great difficulty understanding the referencing system applied to ships records so that didnt help!

Thanks for the info I will look at both those sources.
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/anthonybeyga/

'and here I'll stay'.......

Blog Entries

Two Esso Tankers.

Esso Caledonia, 1117 feet in length, 175 feet beam, 68 feet draft increasing to 75 feet with squat. When I was third mate on her we were running from the Gulf ports to Singapore, Kawasaki, Japan, around the Cape to the Mississipi and European ports with 256,000 tons of crude oil.
    The other was the Esso Aberdeen, I was Second Mate on this one, Loading 126,000 tons of crude oil from the Brent Spa, 125 miles north of the Shetlands in the North Atlantic. a wild and windy place to be, The highest wind speed recorded there was over 200 knots.
    The ship is moored over the bow and loading is over the bow. The engines are kept at 25 revs astern to keep tension on the mooring ropes to prevent the ship riding on to the Spa and the ship rotates 360 degres with the wind and tides. When the wind gets up we had to disconnect and let go then steam around well clear until the wind was at an acceptable speed then start again. it sometimes took up to two weeks to load, on a good day we could load in 24 hours.
    The Brent Spa was a `hollow tube` over 450 feet in height and nearly 100 feet in diameter, floating like an up turned milk bottle, moored to sea bed with cables, displacing 66,000 tons.with a rotating platform with contol room, accomodation and heli pad on top. It was filled through an open bottom from pipe lines from the prduction rigs in the Brent Field. Pipelines were eventually laid from the Brent to Sullon Voe in the Shetlands making it redundant.It was discontinued in 1991 and finally scrapped in 1999 after much International campaigning. It was going to be sunk in the Atlantic. but Greenpeace climbed aboard due to the threat of pollution and so eventually it was towed to a Norwegian fjord and scrapped there.

Name:	ESOO CALDONIA 2.jpg 
Views:	171 
Size:	54.8 KB 
ID:	11742   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	eSSO aBERD AT bRENT SPA..jpg 
Views:	172 
Size:	93.9 KB 
ID:	11743  

Blog Entries

Nice one Captain. I think I was on that doing an exercise. Dreadful place.

Blog Entries

The S.S. JEREMIAH O'BRIEN is one of two remaining fully functional Liberty Ships of the 2,710 built and launched during WWII. The S.S. JEREMIAH O'BRIEN has the distinction of being the last unaltered Liberty Ship and remains historically accurate. Moored at Pier 45, Fisherman's Wharf in San Francisco.
    She was at Normandy in 1944 at the invasion. In 1994 she sailed from Frisco to London and then did a tour of the Channel ports. I went to London in June 1994 and sat on deck for four days yarning with the old Sailors who brought her over. A good experience after many years to be able to go aboard an old Sam Boat. I had sailed on one of Blue Funnel`s Sam Boats, the Euryades.
    I met an old mate on deck and he asked the Admiral, who was Master, now dead, if he could sail back to Frisco with them and he said Yes. I saw him a couple of months later and he told me all about it, A wonderful experience for him. I should have asked but didnt think about it.
    I have been on board her a couple of times more when I have been in San Francisco and a couple of the old timers are still working on her It was good to spend Smoko yarning on Number four hatch. It is run by volunteers and maintained by them, A few Vindi Boys get over there for a few weeks to chip and paint etc and live on board. No pay but you get fed and watered.
    The photos show the cabin, where four of us would sleep in. We never thought any different about it, but when you see a prison cell today with single occupancy, en suite, computers, mobile phones, TVs etc, makes you wonder what we did wrong.
    She still sails every other weekend around the Bay area, if you ever get over there it would be a great experience to do that.
    Her steam reciprocatinging engines in use were filmed in the last movie `TITANIC`

Name:	MAUI HAWAII 030.jpg 
Views:	181 
Size:	146.3 KB 
ID:	11768   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	MAUI HAWAII 029.jpg 
Views:	181 
Size:	180.5 KB 
ID:	11769   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	MAUI HAWAII 026.jpg 
Views:	146 
Size:	175.8 KB 
ID:	11770   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	MAUI HAWAII 028.jpg 
Views:	157 
Size:	163.7 KB 
ID:	11771   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	SS-Jeremiah-OBrien-2.jpg 
Views:	163 
Size:	19.9 KB 
ID:	11772  

Blog Entries

Nice one Captain.

HI captain, another view of S.S. JEREMIAH O'BRIEN. A fine Ship that I also visited in 2006. She is kept in excellent condition as a tribute to all those who sailed the seas during that time.

HM

Sorry, don't seem to be able to attach the photo.

HM

Hi.
    A vido clip of the engine room...
    Reg.
    http://www.vidoemo.com/yvideo.php?i=...-october-2008=
    thaithyme

Blog Entries

Good one Reg,
    I have been down there three times and always fascinating, reminds me of my couple of trips as a fireman. As I said before, these were used in the film TITANIC.

Blog Entries

This is a painting of the P&O Hospital Ship Egypt at Alexandria in 1918. This water colour was by Kenneth D. Shoesmith and is dated 1918,
    BrianD

Name:	Hospital ship Egypt (Medium).jpg 
Views:	154 
Size:	69.0 KB 
ID:	11815  

Page 18 of 52 FirstFirst ... 8161718192028 ... LastLast