Page 29 of 52 FirstFirst ... 19272829303139 ... LastLast

Thread: Ships gallery

Blog Entries

That took us back a bit Brian,do you remember those gigantic American earth movers that "walked". Are they still there?. Good pictures mate
    BrianD

Blog Entries

Sailed through Suez many times but being an engineer I was always down below and didn't see that much of it.

Blog Entries

The iron steam trawlerMorning Star SH61 ,built in Aberdeen in 1900 for the comprehensively named Scaboro, Hartlepool & North Sea Fishing Company of Scarborough.
    The painting was by Alexander Harwood a fish porter,,or lumper ,on the fish dock at Aberdeen. He painted portraits of a great many fishing boats and ,as we can see, he was a very competent painter.
    BrianD
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Posters and pain&#116.jpg 
Views:	294 
Size:	67.3 KB 
ID:	14314  

Blog Entries

Nice one Brian.

Blog Entries

Hi Brian,
    I looked for those Walking earth movers but didnt see any. It was amazing seeing those giant machines walking and that was 50 years ago.

Hello everyone,
    I've just registered with the site and I must thank you for the photos and comments that you have put up for our entertainment and education. The photos are of a very high quality and the paintings enhance the moment with the imagination of the artist.
    Really enjoyed it.

BTW! I sailed with a Brian Daley on the Media in 1958. Wouldn't be you would it Brian?

oddsocks

Blog Entries

Hi Oddsocks, he could be one of my cousins.I've never met him but I met his dad who my Dads cousin and he kind of adopted me when I was on the Empress of Britain. He was chief engine room storekeeper and he heard that my name was mentioned in a bar in Tenerife. He came over and asked if I was put up to pulling a prank because Brian Daley was the name of his son. I showed him my I.D. and he was stunned ,I had the same three forenames as his lad ( good catholics ) Brian William Gerard Daley. He knew we had to be related and we swapped names of Grandparents and ,yes, I was of the same tribe. He introduced to the chef and the baker who were in the bar too and ,from that moment on I was served up passengers meals and the finest of TabNabs. One night the chef gave me a full tray of Lobster Thermidor which I shared out among the deck crowd. What a memory you triggered there mate,thanks.
    BrianD

Blog Entries

The Banff steam drifter Handy BF 1263,was built in Southtown, Great Yarmouth,in 1903,hauling in her heavy nets.
    The painting was by Alexander Harwood,who was a "lumper" or porter on the fish dock in Aberdeen,he served in WW1 on a trawler which was converted for minesweeping./
    BrianD

Views:	311 
Size:	66.4 KB 
ID:	14424  

Blog Entries

I was on the Media in the 50s, I will find my Book and find the date.

I am off to Fleetwood on Wednesday and get some good photos of a trawler, Jacinta, the best record breaking trawler Britain ever had £248,000 in one catch. she is a Museum ship now stopped by the EU while the EU trawlers fish outside of Fleetwood in the Irish Sea.

Blog Entries

Hi Oddsocks here is a story of the Media I was on her in 556/56, There are many stries like this on the "SHIPS AND THE SEA" thread.
    Cheers
    Brian

MEDIA, CUNARD LINE

CUNARD`S MEDIA
    built by John Brown Clydebank,
    Yard No 629
    Engines by shipbuilder

Last Name: LAVIA
    Previous Names: 1947-61 MEDIA / 61-82 FLAVIA / 82-86 FLAVIAN / 86-89 LAVIA
    Port of Registry: Liverpool
    Propulsion: 4 team turbines dr geared to 2 sc shafts 15000shp 18 knots / 2 x Water Tube Boilers supplying steam at max pressure 450lbs (430lbs Superheated)
    Launched: Thursday, 12 December 1946
    Built: 1947
    Ship Type: Passenger Vessel
    Tonnage: 13345 grt now 15465 grt
    Length: 531 feet now 556 feet 0
    Breadth: 70 feet 4
    Draught: 30 feet 2
    Owner History:
    1947-61 Cunard Steamship Co Ltd Liverpool
    61-68 Cia Genovese Di Arm SPA Italy
    68-82 Costa Line Italy
    82-86 Flavian Shipping S.A PA
    86-89 Lavia Shipping S.A PA
    Gutted by fire at Hong Kong 07/01/1989 while undergoing renovation. Towed to shallow water where she heeled over onto her side on a sandbank. She was righted and towed to Kaohsiung, Taiwan, arriving 17/06/1989 for demolition.

I sailed on Cunard`s `MEDIA` in December 1955 to January 1956. I didnt intend to, the Western Ocean in Winter is atrocious, but a crowd of us had just paid off the GEORGIC after taking her to the breakers and we were having a bevie in `Tom Halls` at the back of the Cunard building and someone came in and shouted `The MEDIA` wants a crowd signing on in the Cunard Building.`
    So somehow I was swept along in the rush as someone else said she was a good job. When I sobered up I found I was signed on and due to sail the following day for New York. I also discovered that I had signed on as a Quartermaster, well that would keep me out of the weather on deck.
    We sailed bound for New York and it was blowing a gale and sleet. on the way across I have never seen before or since seas as big as that trip. She was climbing verticle upwards and on top of the huge swells it was terrifying looking down the deep valleys then falling 70 or eighty feet and the next mountain of sea waiting to smash her under shaking like a dog out of water as seas cascaded off the fore deck. Very difficult to sleep when you float off the mattress weightless and then fall and the mattress wraps itself around you. By the time we got to New York we were knackered. We had Christmas at sea but we were getting smashed around so much it was a no no. All the big plate class windows on the Prom Deck for the lounges and restaraunts smashed due to the ship twisting like a cork screw, We had no passengers on board that trip and we were one of the few ships at that time to have Stabilizers fitted but we never used them, the Captain said it costs a lot more in fuel with the drag. There was a Pig on board but it didnt get used much, the ale was being spilled all over. I was glad when we got into the Market Diner in New York.
    Up on Broadway at night time it was very glitzy, bright as a sunny day with all the lights, Santas, ringing bells everywhere collecting for charity. snow flakes falling, a whole technicolour world. No contest with Liverpool`s dull and gloomy atmosphere, pubs shut at 10pm and surrounded by all the bomb sites around town. New York was a good place to buy the winter gear, thick wool Tartan three quarter length jackets, shirts and hats with ear mufflers on, gloves and scarves, it was freezing and we needed to have this gear.
    We had New Years Eve on Broadway and Times Square, fantastic, I have never ever been kissed by as many women in all my life, some pretty ones, Ugly ones, fat ones, thin ones and some of doubtful gendre, ugh, spit. but a great time was had by all until the early hours.
    When the Long Shoremen were working cargo , they sometimes called us over, "Hey what size shoes you wear?" I would say tens, `OK here try these` and give us a pair of export shoes, It was so bad over the years that they started to export shoes by shipping all the left shoes on the Media and all the right shoes on the Parthia.
    On the 2nd of January we were sailing and the Hudson was frozen over, the temperature had gone down to 28 degrees below freezing, The Captain tried always to get her off the pier, going ahead and astern , the ice was holding her fast. so Ice breakers were called for and they smashed their way through and got us out, jeez, it really was cold, and so we went to Norfolk Virginia to load a cargo of Tobacco, we did`nt go ashore there. A week before some Royal Navy ships had paid a visit there to the US Navy base and as always when the RN and US navy get together there is always a big battle, some men were killed and many injured so feelings ashore were a bit tense so we were advised not to go ashore.
    We completed loading in a couple of days and made our way back across a wild Western Ocean to Liverpool. where I paid off and caught up with the leave I should have had off the GEORGIC.

7A
    The MEDIA was a cargo passenger ship. she carried 250 first class passengers, six hatches and 20 derricks.
    The ship was built for the Cunard as a cargo-passenger liner in 1947.
    In 1961 traffic across the Western Ocean was getting a bit thin so she was sold to Codegar Line of Italy and rebuilt as the Europe-Australia emigrant ship Flavia. In 1968 she was chartered to Costa Line, who refitted her as a cruise ship. She operated Caribbean cruises from Miami, and was so successful, Costa bought her in 1969. Her engines became troublesome, so she was sold in 1982. She was sold to Hong Kong based C.Y. Tung Group. Her name was changed to Flavian and was to commence cruising locally. Instead, she was laid up for four years and was sold in 1986 to another Hong Kong shipping company, Virtue Shipping, who changed her name to Lavia. She remained laid up at anchor near Landau Island.
    On January 7, 1989, but neglected Lavia caught fire. She was completely gutted and her hulk was sold to
    Taiwanese shipbreakers.

Thanks for that Brian.

The Media was my first ship and with it being a terrible weather ship, I had to find my sea legs pretty quick.
    The Media and Parthia trips to New York took 3 weeks: 2 week at sea, 1 week in New York (more often than not in Hoboken). Got know the city pretty well with travelling by bus.
    During my period on it there were several incidents that stand out. One was a waiter named John Pascoe who got crushed in the watertight doors. Sadly he died. I remember with clarity watching Frank Dickens the Head Waiter holding him during his final minutes. On another occasion an American sub ' USS Swordfish' (I think) surfaced in front of us in mid Atlantic. Only the sharp reaction by the bridge with a violent swerve to Port saved us from another maritime disaster. Never saw Treasure-Jones move so fast.

A good ship and I have fond memories of it.

When the Long Shoremen were working cargo , they sometimes called us over, "Hey what size shoes you wear?" I would say tens, `OK here try these` and give us a pair of export shoes, It was so bad over the years that they started to export shoes by shipping all the left shoes on the Media and all the right shoes on the Parthia.

That sounds just like Liverpool Docks.

When I worked one summer at BAT, the shipping guys talked about a percentage added to all shipments (1 or 2% IIRC) that went through Liverpool Docks for "slippage".

I also had a summer job working for Securicor, and one assignment was watching three dockers unload boxes of canned pineapples. The boss said as long as I could see all three nothing was getting lifted...

The jobs were in the 66-67 era...

Blog Entries

The New York dockers, [ Longshoremen ] were very similar to the Liverpool dockers, in fact there were quite a few Liverpool fellas working on the docks in New York. A lot of cargo did in fact disapear. The whisky was the most cargo that disapear. A case would be dropped heavily, smashing the bottles inside and then it was stood at an angle over a bucket until it drained through the cardboard case filtering the broken glass. then at the end of a shift they were all totally legless, we had to lower a cargo net down the Hold and stow the dockers in then lift them up and land them on the quay. One of the reasons for Containerisation.
    Cheers
    Brian

Blog Entries

The wooden steam drifter Arimathea LT 1084; built Lowestoft in 1907. She is displaying both on her funnel and her mainmast the emblem of the Bethel, or Seamens Chapel, which might be worn only on vessels whose Skippers pledged not to fish on the Sabbath.
    The painting was by Ernest George Tench, a "pier head " painter who did many portraits who chronicled many of the North Sea vessels in the early part of the 20th century,
    BrianD

Views:	282 
Size:	158.4 KB 
ID:	14455  

Hi Liverbob, You mention ships books.I am searching for a book "Fishermen in War Time, by Walter Wood. Mainly about Minesweepers and Drifters in WW1. About fortnight ago I found out my Paternal Grandad was in the R.N.R. Skipper Alfred Edward Berry and he had been awarded a D.S.C on a Hired Trawler "Frascati" in the Dardenelles. Then sailed on two other Hired Trawlers "Electra" and "Sestrosis" . Was promoted in the R.N.R. to Chief Skipper on an Admiralty Trawler "James Pond". Wondering if you have or know of this book or any photos of the Trawlers Best Regards Keen Berry

Page 29 of 52 FirstFirst ... 19272829303139 ... LastLast