Page 40 of 52 FirstFirst ... 30383940414250 ... LastLast

Thread: Ships gallery

Blog Entries

here is a photo of a wave about to overwhelm the Matina, a Fyffes banana boat, we were on our way to Jamaica for bananas, just near the Azores., I got wet.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	seafaring 018.jpg 
Views:	161 
Size:	54.9 KB 
ID:	17843  

This is a nicen.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	warships_at_amsterdam-large.jpg 
Views:	129 
Size:	209.9 KB 
ID:	17844  

Blog Entries

How do they do it, so sharp and clear, superb paintings.

Now for something different.............
    In November 1975, the Iron Ore Ship EDMUND FITZGERALD was sunk with all hands in a terrible hurricane in the Great Lakes.
    here is the story and the song turn on the sound, Those lakes have had a terrible death toll for those Lakers.

http://home.pacbell.net/chabpyne/index.html AND HERE IS THE SONG BY GORDEN LIGHTFOOT http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oJhtr...eature=related

from the BMN site posted by Bill Roberts.

I have not found this out as of yet Kong but...there is a technique that could give precise detail and its called the Layering technique.

A detailed drawing is done first with pencil and then transparent layers are built up over the drawing,the layers can consist of 5 to 15 layers depending on the depth you want to achieve,this takes time but the esult is some stunning artwork.

To speed up the oil paint layers a gel called "Liquin" is used in the paint,the brush is dipped in the liquin and then the paint and applied to the area to paint,the Liquin takes about 18 hours to dry give or take a couple of hours.

This is one way of securing a detailed painting.

Blog Entries

Titanic...post #11 as a postcard.

Blog Entries

QUOTE=Oudeis;309193]There must be others...

http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?t=409869[/QUOTE]

Good one, I have never ever used oil paints, I would not know how to start. I have only done water colours from a childrens water paint box. I did a water colour of a sailing ship, on the canvas side of a piece of hardboard that I found on my ship. I painted and painted it over and over again, I took it away with me to Sea on my ships and only did it now and again for ten years building up the thickness of the water colour paint until it was quite thick in the relevent places, then I had it framed. It is about two square feet of board.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	painting moshulu. 1.jpg 
Views:	175 
Size:	136.3 KB 
ID:	17845[

Blog Entries

Well done you CK. I like that it is all ship.

I would not know how to start.
    There's no magic in painting with oils,Kong

The ground can be either canvas or MDF wood,both need sealing with "Gesso" a few times so the the oils do not penatrate into the ground.

Canvas panels can be bought already on a stretcher at Home and Bargain stores at £1.29 small and £1.99 large,MDF can be got at any wood supplier or handyman store.

Oils are dear but the cheapest proffesional brands can be used and basically Red,Green,Blue,Yellow,White,Black is allthe colous you will need as these will produce 90% of any coloua you encounterby mixing together.

Oils take an age to dry ie the painting cannot be varnished for at least six to twelve months depending on the thickness of the oil applied to the canvass.

Turps is for thinning the paint.
    Although the oils in the tube already contain Linseed or Poppy Oil? the oil paint can be used straight from the tube ie on the pallete,if the paint is too thick you add a bit of linseed and turps to weaken it.

A drawing in pencil or charcoal is then drawn upon the support and just coloured in with the oil paints.

Thats it in a nutshell,you do have to know something about what colours make a colour to get you to a desired colour but it can be picked up anywhere on the net as to what colours make it up.

Painting in oils is far much easier than using Watercolours or Acrylics as they stay wet longer than the latter which tend to dry immediatly,also oil paints are moe forgiving and can be blended seamlessly togther eaily with a light brush.

---------- Post added at 01:14 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:04 PM ----------

These are student brand oils but are of notable quality..quite cheap as well.
    http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/DALER-ROWNEY-G...item1c173f28ac

Blog Entries

I have had a quick shufty google-wise and there are online free lessons in this and that technique. There may be evening classes or amateur art clubs around near where you (all) live.
    The twenty-first century is NOT a time for 'if onlys', but WHY NOTs. At the very least what all of you show (exhibit?) here is that you well know what it is you want in an end-result, the discovering of how to get there by this road or that must be a great deal easier in this internet age. And free, you take what you want from anywhere you want. You make me green with envy with the drive and dedication you all display. And you seem to enjoy what you do (after a fashion;-eh George?) and I and many others get a lot out of seeing the results of your labours. More/all power to your elbows.

---------- Post added at 01:46 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:31 PM ----------

[COLOR="Silver"]

---------- Post added at 01:54 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:46 PM ----------

---------- Post added at 01:57 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:54 PM ----------

---------- Post added at 02:01 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:57 PM ----------

---------- Post added at 02:06 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:01 PM ----------

---------- Post added at 02:07 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:06 PM ----------

---------- Post added at 02:10 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:07 PM ----------

Blog Entries

Hi George that is fantastic information there . Looks easy, A lot of people have told me that water colours are harder than oils, but I have never tried them, I will have a go at it, with a little help from those videos next time I do some painting.
    Cheers
    Brian

Kong,with watercolours you're pressed for time,that is its hard to mix colours on the paper and blend it well...oils are quite the opposite and don't put pressure on the artist.....you can go for a stroll and come back and erase that mistakeyou made before going on the stroll....can you do that in watercolours? Ithink not.

---------- Post added at 06:14 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:11 PM ----------

What browser are you using? there are applications where you can save these vids and burn them to a DVD for watching at your liesure.

---------- Post added at 06:19 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:14 PM ----------

I should have started with part 1.....

---------- Post added at 06:23 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:19 PM ----------

---------- Post added at 06:25 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:23 PM ----------

---------- Post added at 06:26 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:25 PM ----------

---------- Post added at 06:27 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:26 PM ----------

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PUwxcFL_miI[/video]

---------- Post added at 06:29 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:27 PM ----------

Blog Entries

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	funchal9lowres.jpg 
Views:	171 
Size:	144.7 KB 
ID:	17937

This is the Portugese passenger ship FUNCHAL,
    MV Funchal is a Portuguese-registered passenger and cruise liner.
    Funchal has been successfully serving the British cruise market over the past 20 years carrying thousands of passengers and was the first vessel to join the Classic International Cruises fleet in 1984. Funchal is a classic cruise liner with a beautiful profile and charming interiors and has a fascinating and proud maritime heritage having served as a Portuguese Presidential yacht for state visits. Funchal was also once owned by one of the wealthiest families in the Azores.
    She will begin a cruise program in South Australia.
    Stabilised, air-conditioned, three lifts, main show lounge (Ilha Verde), piano bar (Porto Bar) Gama Lounge, Club Room, library, card room, lido bar, shop, photo shop, medical centre, excursion office and reception with exchange facilities
    Retrieved from "http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MV_Funchal"

I joined the FUNCHAL in Fremantle Australia after meeting an old mate I hadnt seen for 50 years, 1956, Joe Finnegan, ex Liverpool, he was now living in Australia. I was at the Perth airport and he told me he was sailing back to Liverpool for a holiday. My flights were booked so I had to fly to Sydney 3000 miles east then to Singapore. I said to the Long Haired one, `Why are we going home` she said `I dont know`, So I cancelled the flight to England and found another one that was going to Perth. in Oz.
    I found Joe again and he took me to the travel Agent and I booked a six week voyage to Liverpool on the FUNCHAL. calling at Singapore again, Phuket, Goa, Safaga, Suez and a trip to the Pyramids and the Cairo Museum , through the Suez Canal to Athens and the Lisbon then docking in Stanley Dock. An excellent trip. Joe and I had a good trip reminscing about the old days when we sailed on Cunard and Canadian Pacific.
    In the Northern summer she sails around europe and in the winter she sails around Australia.
    She is much better than the new big ships that are like a block of flats carrying 4000 passengers.

Blog Entries

Hi Brian, the Funchal looks very familiar, was she an ex-Canadian Pacific liner? Nice photo,
    BrianD

Page 40 of 52 FirstFirst ... 30383940414250 ... LastLast