Page 39 of 52 FirstFirst ... 29373839404149 ... LastLast

Thread: Ships gallery

Blog Entries

Here is the ESSO DALRIADA in the Gulf of Suez at Ain Sukhna, discharging 280,000 tons of crude oil from Kharg in Iran in 1978, it goes through an underwater pipeline to the shore then pumped acrsoss the Egyptian desert, the SUMED Line, to a port near Alexandria to be transhipped in another tanker to Europe, that saves the ship going round the Cape of Good Hope saving six weeks at sea and also 8 weeks on the return to the Gulf empty.
    I took the photo from the wheel house.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	seafaring ain sukhna SO Dalriada.jpg 
Views:	156 
Size:	24.6 KB 
ID:	17773  

Blog Entries

Here is the propellor and rudder of the SS GREAT BRITAIN in the dry dock where she was built in Bristol. Well worth a visit if you are near Bristol

"The ss Great Britain was a world first when she was launched in Bristol in 1843. This uniquely successful ship design brought together new technologies in a way which transformed world travel.

Isambard Kingdom Brunel, the most daring of the great Victorian engineers, conceived the groundbreaking combination of a screw propeller, an iron hull, and a massive 1000-horsepower steam engine.

She was immediately successful - on her maiden voyage across the Atlantic the ss Great Britain easily broke the previous speed record.

Although effectively a prototype, she continued sailing until 1886, and travelled thirty-two times around the world and nearly one million miles at sea.

She was finally abandoned in the Falkland Islands, in 1937, after more than 40 years use as a floating warehouse.

In 1970 an ambitious salvage effort brought her home to Bristol, where today she is conserved in the dry dock where she was originally built. " brunel institute.

Name:	FAMILY.jpg 
Views:	144 
Size:	32.6 KB 
ID:	17774  

Blog Entries

Old Brunel was a man born before his time. That propellor resembles the kind you now see on some of the world's behomeths, although a bit smaller.

Blog Entries

As a comparison to the Great Britain`s Prop when she was the worlds biggest ship, here are the props on the Propulsion Pods on the Queen Mary 2. She has four pods, two of them rotate 360 degrees and are used to steer the ship, She does not have a rudder.The QM2 prop pulls the ship through the water, the GBs prop pushes the ship through the water.
    160 Years later his idea of a propellor is still basically the same.

Here spare Propellor blades on the foredeck, The Console in the wheel house used for berthing, contains controls for thrusters, engines , steering etc. The Pod, Me on left enjoying a pre dinner cocktail, A view of the Wheel house, and then all four pods. I think Isambard would have enjoyed this, but I guess it all came from him in the first place. He was certainly ahead of his time.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	QM2 001-1.jpg 
Views:	174 
Size:	623.3 KB 
ID:	17789Click image for larger version. 

Name:	QM2 No2 005.jpg 
Views:	207 
Size:	627.8 KB 
ID:	17791Click image for larger version. 

Name:	podx QM2.jpg 
Views:	194 
Size:	38.6 KB 
ID:	17788Click image for larger version. 

Name:	QM2 No2 019.jpg 
Views:	180 
Size:	617.5 KB 
ID:	17792Click image for larger version. 

Name:	QM2 No2 009.jpg 
Views:	197 
Size:	642.7 KB 
ID:	17790

Name:	qmpods QM2.jpg 
Views:	141 
Size:	77.1 KB 
ID:	17787  

Blog Entries

I was thinking more of the blooming great propellors on the tankers and box boats. As an aside, Carnival Splendor is wallowing, powerless, two hundred miles out from Ensanada. The USN is flying in crates of Spam, to tide them over until tugs can tow her to port.
    I'll bet they don't serve Spam on Cunard - at least, not to bloods.

Blog Entries

Hi Malc, the props for the biggest box boats are around nine and a half metres in diameter and weigh around 100 tons. See photo.
    When I was on the ESSO NORTHUMBRIA, 256,000 TONS, we broke down off Cape Town, we had to ballast her down by the head and raise the prop and rudder clear of the water so the shore engineers could work on it. she had a one metre bend amidships, bent like a big banana, I guess the propellor was around 30 feet at least in diameter. My photos of it have been lost.

Cunard is part of Carnival they just use it as a marketing name brand. I have just had a court case against Cunard, but it was altered to Carnival,

Helicopters from the USS Ronald Reagan flew hundreds of cases of Spam to the Splendor with fresh water in bottles. No doubt some of those superb Chefs on Cunard could do wonders with a case of SPAM, I like it. They were unable to cook, no power, and they could not flush the toilets, what a stink for those blue rinse matrons.

It now seems they are towing her to San Diego. It would seem all her main engine room power is down and the emergency generator is the only engine running.
    On these ships you must remember the power needed for hotel services that is air conditioning , sewage, galleys, fridges, lights, lifts and all the rest is very substantial and emergency generators cant supply it. I am not familiar with the Carnival Splendor but her full hotel service load could be in the thousands of Kilowatts needing a substantial diesel engine. [JIMMY BMN site,]

Here are the props of the Titanic, three of them,.and the prop for the worlds biggest container ship with six blades just as Isambard Brunel had on the GB,

Name:	BIGEST SHIP propeler.jpg 
Views:	166 
Size:	10.0 KB 
ID:	17800Click image for larger version. 

Name:	TITANIC PROPS..jpg 
Views:	180 
Size:	11.5 KB 
ID:	17801

Blog Entries

The Boston Vanguard GY421

The Grimsby trawler Boston Vanguard GY 421 was built by VosperLtd. In Portsmouth in 1957 for the St Andrews Steam Fishing Company ,a subsidiary of Boston Deep Sea Fisheries. Sold to French owners and renamed in 1962 , and twice more subsequently ,she continued fishing until 1980, when she was converted into an oil-rig stand-by vessel. She was scrapped by Thames Shipbreakers Ltd. in 1986.

This study was by George Wiseman, a well known artist of fishing vessels.

Name:	Ships (Medium) (2).jpg 
Views:	142 
Size:	72.9 KB 
ID:	17828  

Blog Entries

EXCELLENT PAINTING, VERY GOOD DETAILS.

Blog Entries

The Wicklow

The passenger, cargo and livestock carrier Wicklow was built by Blackwood and Gordon of Port Glasgow in 1895 for the Dublin- Liverpool service of the City of Dublin Steam Packet Company. In 1919 she was sold to the British & Irish Steam Packet Company, whose funnel livery and house-flag she is wearing in this portrait and by whom in the following year she was renamed Lady Wicklow. Requisitioned by H.M. Government during both World Wars and briefly employed as a transport for the Irish Free State Army in 1922, she was eventually broken up in 1949.
    The portrait is by an unknown artist who has an unmistakeable style,there two other paintings of steamships which are attributed to him and,like the one here,are both Irish sea steamers.

Name:	Ships (Medium) (3).jpg 
Views:	164 
Size:	78.4 KB 
ID:	17838

Blog Entries

One of my favourite paintings, George Vancouver`s ships surveying the Pacific North West in the 1790s, city of Vancouver named after him,

by MARK MEYERS

Name:	vancouver.jpg 
Views:	200 
Size:	138.1 KB 
ID:	17839

Blog Entries

And numbered prints can be yours CK for only...

http://www.gallerydirectart.com/deal...rk-meyers.html

One of my favourite paintings, George Vancouver`s ships
    You have to admire the artist who paint ships of this calibre,somuch painstaking detail goes into them...endless hours of burning the midnight oil...makin mistakes along the way and correcting them...these type of paintings are no mean feat to accomplish and their value(money) is peanuts even when they fetch thousands.

I hope to aspire to this level one day?

Blog Entries

HE IS AN INCREDIBLE ARTIST,
    I only wish I could do that. I know I have no chance of doing so.

Blog Entries

Very nice depiction of a scene from his voyage of discovery. Cook had missed the entrance into the straits that were to be later named after Juan de Fuca, but Vancouver entered them and chartered most of our inland waters, as evident today by the names he gave to prominent features, from Puget Sound to the Gulf of Georgia. That scene is of the ships Discovery and Chatham, and probably intended to be near to the present city of Vancouver, either off Point Grey or in Burrard Inlet.

A nice picture, Cap'n. showing the Salish people's dugout cedar canoes to advantage.

Blog Entries

Thanks Malc, I didnt know the names of the two ships, I know there is a statue of him outside the Vancouver Museum.
    Cheers.
    Brian.

Page 39 of 52 FirstFirst ... 29373839404149 ... LastLast