Page 34 of 52 FirstFirst ... 24323334353644 ... LastLast

Thread: Ships gallery

Thanks... a neat picture of early propellor design.

Blog Entries

The Royal Mail liner Alcantara,shown here off the coast of Brazil, was one of a series of liners built for the South American trade. She was designed to carry passengers as well as refrigerated and general cargo. I knew of her from a very early age,my great uncle Joe was a quartermaster on her in the thirties and his photo ,in full fore and aft rig, was stuck on my Nins sideboard in her living room. The ships name was shown clearly on his hat band,
    BrianD
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Posters and paintings (Medium) (2).jpg 
Views:	166 
Size:	119.5 KB 
ID:	15228  

Quote Originally Posted by captain kong View Post
    from the
    http://www.ssgreatbritain.org/home.aspx. . . conceived the groundbreaking combination of a screw propeller, an iron hull, and a massive 1000-horsepower steam engine.
    Good piece Brian.

Walking through Anfield Cemetery one day I come across this modest gravestone with the interesting inscription. Because the stone is dirty through age, the inscription on the plinth is a little difficult to decipher: So to save your peepers I've taken the labour out of you struggling to read it, by transcribing it.

Oddsocks

William Becket-Hill Born 1841 - Died 1908

He helped to change paddle tugs to screw,
    To initiate high pressure and twin screws for Ocean going steamers,
    To introduce steam line conferences with the rebate system,
    And to start the Shipping Federation, the London Shipping Exchange,
    And the British Empire League.

Name:	Anfield cem.jpg 
Views:	173 
Size:	95.0 KB 
ID:	15232  

Hi All You Guys who helped me with My G/D Alfred Edward Berry.I received all the Papers, Documents,Parts of Naval Books, etc from the Fleet Air Arm Museum at Yeovilton, Truly they were fascinating and clear as a bell to read. But I made a real "faux pas" which you know what I mean in Navy terms. A Cardinal sin of not checking date of Birth,So it wasn't my G/Dad after all.Same name but younger by 14 years,I'm sorry for giving you the wrong info but I hope it will do some good.I have been in Touch with the Hull Trawlers site and the guy is going to try to find thr relations of Chief then Chief Skipper Alfred Edward Berry For Me and I will send them all the Documents. I still know he was minesweeping somewhere so the guy at the museum is going to have a good go for me..The Anzc Parade I still felt close A.E.B. and Rita's Dad and Brother.You were right abou the Helicopter crash.King Kong. 3 Iriquois's were on their way down from the Air Base at Ohakea to the Wellington Cenotaph for the Dawn Parade.The weather was grotty and very gusty they come down the coast and ther inquiry will find out what exactly happened.Some mist separated them and one must have lost any land fall and had lost a bit of height and smashed into a gulley on a farm. 3 were killed and one seriously injured,but is stable and expected to recover. My apologies once again and Thank You .Hopefully maybe some one will find them as a suprise.Best Regards Ken B

That's a bit of sad news that Ken. Expectation high as the clouds but euphoria short lived. Oh well mate let's hope you get the information soon.

Best o' luck,

Oddsocks

Blog Entries

The P&O Liner Viceroy of India ,built for the Bombay service. She set new standards of luxury and speed. This gracious liner was sunk by a German U-Boat in 1942. Just sit and enjoy the picture,
    BrianD

Name:	Posters and paintings 001 (Medium)-2.jpg 
Views:	173 
Size:	94.6 KB 
ID:	15296  

Blog Entries

The film Mutiny on the Bounty was on TV the other day, the one with Marlon Brando and Trevor Howard.
    I took these photos from the TV.
    In the photo with the Wahines in the sea fishing in the background there is a peak in front of the big mountain, we climbed up there, along a foot path. It is in Moorea in `Bounty` Bay.
    The ship they used for the film was built larger than the original to accommodate all the filming equipment. She was in Seattle in August 1990, I went on board for $5 but they would not let be leap aloft.
    The later Biounty filmed with Mel Gibson was built in New Zealand and is nearly always in Sydney, I went on board that one and it is the original size and very small inside. I have a photo of her entering Moorea somewhere, My old Tahitian mate, Stanley , his father, was in the film as one of the Tahitians.

Name:	bounty 012.jpg 
Views:	170 
Size:	382.1 KB 
ID:	15307   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	bounty 023.jpg 
Views:	162 
Size:	373.9 KB 
ID:	15308   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	bounty 009.jpg 
Views:	153 
Size:	427.9 KB 
ID:	15309   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	bounty 019.jpg 
Views:	161 
Size:	423.8 KB 
ID:	15310   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	bounty 014.jpg 
Views:	161 
Size:	305.2 KB 
ID:	15311  

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	bounty 011.jpg 
Views:	165 
Size:	432.1 KB 
ID:	15312   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	bounty 035.jpg 
Views:	163 
Size:	327.0 KB 
ID:	15313   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	bounty 033.jpg 
Views:	152 
Size:	376.7 KB 
ID:	15314   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	bounty 042.jpg 
Views:	138 
Size:	221.3 KB 
ID:	15315   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	bounty 036.jpg 
Views:	149 
Size:	308.1 KB 
ID:	15316  

Quote Originally Posted by captain kong View Post
    The bfilm Mutiny on the Bounty was on TV the other day, the one with Marlon Brando and Trevor Howard.
    I took these photos from the TV.
    In the photo with the Wahines in the sea fishing in the background there is a peak in front of the big mountain, we climbed up there, along a foot path. It is in Moorea in `Bounty` Bay.
    The ship they used for the film was built larger than the original to accommodate all the filming equipment. She was in Seattle in August 1990, I went on board for $5 but they would not let be leap aloft.
    The later Biounty filmed with Mel Gibson was built in New Zealand and is nearly always in Sydney, I went on board that one and it is the original size and very small inside. I have a photo of her entering Moorea somewhere, My old Tahitian mate, Stanley , his father, was in the film as one of the Tahitians.
    The Marlon Brando era replica is still around... and many more of us saw it as Captain Jack Sparrow's ship in Pirates of the Caribbean – Dead Man's Chest....

http://www.tallshipbounty.org/

Blog Entries

Nice one guys.

Red face Movie Tall Ships

My son sailed on this one during the filming of Russel Crowes film Master and Commander: Far Side of the World.....

It's HMS Rose - but HMS Surprise in the movie....

He, and the other sailors were somewhat p***d off that the movie extras go paid more than they did, when they were doing all of the actual work. It was filmed off the Baja, Mexico and he got a few weeks paid vacation down there. The extras did most of their shots in a large tank built for the Titanic movie, and the actual sailing crew did the shots out in the open ocean.
    A picture he had of his girl friend was funny - dressed in baggy pants, her long blond hair tucked under a scarf, and a mustache painted on - but that's Hollywood when the cameras don't do a close-up...
    He says he knows where they are in the movie from some of the helicopter shots, since they were both high in the rigging at the time.

This is a picture of the "tank" ship - apparently the rest of the sails were added digitally after filming - as always, nothing real in Hollywood...

Blog Entries

Nice one AG. We had the same thing in war zones...

Blog Entries

This is the last BOUNTY about to enter `Bounty` Bay in Moorea, built in New Zealand for the Mel Gibson film, She is quite often berthed in Darling Harbour in Sydney. Sometimes she does short trips out to the Heads and back with a lunch or dinner thrown in for about $50.
    She is an exact replica of the original

Name:	bounty in moorea.jpg 
Views:	144 
Size:	197.2 KB 
ID:	15318  

Blog Entries

I went on board the Rose in San Diego, California, in 2005 she was on the next berth to the Star of India, another British ship preserved by the US.
    very interesting day out there. Got the photos some where, Going to Fleetwood for a few days, will find them then.

George

Was there a ship called the "Bromley"

Blog Entries

Hi George,
    I had a look around for a ship called the Bromley and this coasting tanker was the only one I could come up with, I hope it is the one,
    BrianD

Name:	Bromley-01 (Medium).jpg 
Views:	189 
Size:	48.2 KB 
ID:	15385  

Page 34 of 52 FirstFirst ... 24323334353644 ... LastLast