YO! Liverpool
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: St. Georges Church Everton

Thanks

Talking St. Georges Church Everton

Please can anyone help with information regarding the McGregor Family of Everton who are buried in the Church yard?

ADVERTISING

Alexander MacGregor died at his home near Manchester on the 6th December 1828 aged fifty-six years, & was buried in a large family plot in the churchyard of St. George?s at Everton. The grave originally had a double tombstone, but when visiting St. George?s in December 2007, all the stones had been removed from the graves & laid in a paved area around the church. Only the right hand stone was found, consequently only half the inscription, which was obscured by tarmac:-

MCGREGOR
    ED 6TH DECEMBER 1828
    MCGREGOR
    UST ED 7TH JANUARY 1842
    IED 26TH APRIL 1842
    RN 8TH ARCH 1845 DIED 19TH MARCH 1846
    HELEN
    GREGOR, WHO DIED 18TH OCTOBER 1855
    YEARS
    US MCGREGOR
    HELEN MCGREGOR, DIED 18TH JUNE 1863
    YEARS

Can anybody help with the full monument inscription or tell me what may have happened to the other half of the stone?

Walter Fergus McGregor was one Of Alexander McGregor's sons & I believe was a church warden at St. Georges & one of the Directors of Vauxhall Foundry. When he died, his fellow employees had some sort of monument put inside the church & I believe there may have been a stained glass window as well, but I understand all the original windows, as well as the body of the church itself destroyed in the war? I have not seen the inside of the church from but photos I?ve seen on the internet, it looks fantastic. Does anybody have any information on the original stained glass windows or on Walter Fergus & his monument?

Thanks

Some information regarding St Georges Church Windows!

It was during an air-raid on the night of Saturday, 21st December 1940, that the great East Window and the North and South Windows were destroyed.
    At the end of the war, only six large stained glass windows remained and these were at the north-west corner of the church. They consisted of three at the lower level and three at the gallery level and included the Withers, Middleton, McGregor and Grandage-Edwards Windows. It was the practice for most of the windows to incorporate any dedication within the stained glass itself, rather than on a brass plaque and so many inscriptions have also been lost.

The only other war damage besides that to the windows was an incendiary bomb, which fell through the roof into the church. However, this was quickly extinguished by the fire watchers

Extract taken from 'The Iron Church' a short history of St Georges church Everton. by R.F. Mould.

Some images taken from the book, not very good quality i'm afraid, but will give you some idea of the inside of the church.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Church1.jpg 
Views:	135 
Size:	449.7 KB 
ID:	9275   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Church2.jpg 
Views:	136 
Size:	531.5 KB 
ID:	9276   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Church3.jpg 
Views:	143 
Size:	830.1 KB 
ID:	9277   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Church4.jpg 
Views:	136 
Size:	276.7 KB 
ID:	9278   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Church5.jpg 
Views:	165 
Size:	214.9 KB 
ID:	9279  

Thanks

Many thanks for the info Samp. So the McGregor window may still be in the church then? I?d love to know what it looks like today.

I have just come across a news paper clipping from the Liverpool Mercury dated Nov 15 1858 about a sale of family property & it includes the following which I hope someone can explain:

Two Pews in the body of St Georges Church Everton numbered respectively 35 & 42 & each subject to a ground rent of ?3 10s.

Two pews in the gallery of St Georges Church Everton numbered respectively 93 & 118 & each subject to a ground rent of ?5.

Two Pews numbers 94 & 117 subject to a ground rent of ?3, & one pew numbered 105 & 106 in the gallery subject to a ground rent of ?5.

Two Shares in St. George?s Church Everton.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by History Hunter View Post
    Many thanks for the info Samp. So the McGregor window may still be in the church then? I?d love to know what it looks like today.

I have just come across a news paper clipping from the Liverpool Mercury dated Nov 15 1858 about a sale of family property & it includes the following which I hope someone can explain:

Two Pews in the body of St Georges Church Everton numbered respectively 35 & 42 & each subject to a ground rent of ?3 10s.

Two pews in the gallery of St Georges Church Everton numbered respectively 93 & 118 & each subject to a ground rent of ?5.

Two Pews numbers 94 & 117 subject to a ground rent of ?3, & one pew numbered 105 & 106 in the gallery subject to a ground rent of ?5.

Two Shares in St. George?s Church Everton.

St Georges was built by the rich merchants who subscribed so much a share, the money being paid back from the lease of the pews. The area in those days was very wealthy and the church was mainly used by the rich. As the area declined, the rich merchants moved away and the pews would be leased out for the upkeep of the church. That?s it in a nutshell but it was probably a bit more complicated than that, changes in Church legislation and such like.

There have been some nice colour pictures of St Georges posted on this forum in the past. Have a search!
    Last edited by Samp; 03-28-2009 at 09:15 PM.

Thanks

Default Gravestone inscriptions at St George Everton

Quote Originally Posted by History Hunter View Post
    Please can anyone help with information regarding the McGregor Family of Everton who are buried in the Church yard?

Alexander MacGregor died at his home near Manchester on the 6th December 1828 aged fifty-six years, & was buried in a large family plot in the churchyard of St. George?s at Everton. The grave originally had a double tombstone, but when visiting St. George?s in December 2007, all the stones had been removed from the graves & laid in a paved area around the church. Only the right hand stone was found, consequently only half the inscription, which was obscured by tarmac:-

MCGREGOR
    ED 6TH DECEMBER 1828
    MCGREGOR
    UST ED 7TH JANUARY 1842
    IED 26TH APRIL 1842
    RN 8TH ARCH 1845 DIED 19TH MARCH 1846
    HELEN
    GREGOR, WHO DIED 18TH OCTOBER 1855
    YEARS
    US MCGREGOR
    HELEN MCGREGOR, DIED 18TH JUNE 1863
    YEARS

Can anybody help with the full monument inscription or tell me what may have happened to the other half of the stone?

?
    Transcriptions of the old gravestones for St George, Everton are available at the Liverpool Record Office.

http://www.liverpool.gov.uk/Leisure_...tage/index.asp

I believe they will look up these old records for you for a fee.

Thanks
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Samp View Post
    The area in those days was very wealthy and the church was mainly used by the rich. As the area declined, the rich merchants moved away and the pews would be leased out for the upkeep of the church.

Thats a bit misleading Samp... you make it sound like the church wasn't used by the poor! Oftentimes the merchants would rent the pews in the centre of the church, either side of the main isle. The ones closer to the altar were the more favoured and there was often fierce competition for the best pews. The pews were often put up for auction to the highest bidder. The poor people would congregate either near the rear of the church or on 'benches' (not pews) either side of the main church.

There were also cases where rich men paid for pews to be installed so that the general people could use them and think 'Oh what a nice man Mr So-and-so is for building this pew for us! God Bless 'im! *doffs cap and grovels*'

Also, many churches held numerous services, often one between 6-7 on a Sunday for the workers so they could get home and cook the sunday lunch and a later one 10-11ish for the wealthy who could have a sleep in!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast