Page 8 of 12 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast

Thread: Italian Community - Little Italy

The Grand staircase of the ultra modern interior of Hope Uni built into and around the SFX site facing the Collegiate.

Some of the audience and screen.

www.inacityliving.piczo.com/

Updated weekly with old and new pics.

Keeping It Real !!!!!!!!! ItsaZappathing's Avatar

Here's a pic from The Gardens of Stone showing from last sunday.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	gostone.jpg 
Views:	349 
Size:	47.3 KB 
ID:	8507  

Shame i missed it as it looked a good day.
    BE NICE......................OR ELSE

Quote Originally Posted by Spike View Post
    Shame i missed it as it looked a good day.
    Yeah it is a shame as I believe Ged got a round of tea in. That's only a rumour though

Quote Originally Posted by TravisT View Post
    Hi I've just come across this reference to the gardens of stone as a relation of mine came from Christian St we are quite suprised as we have heard this only as a slang reference. I come from Glasgow originally the rest of my family are from Christian St and surrounding area of liverpool, are the gdns of stone featuring the area I mentioned and if so do I need tickets to the showing as my brothers and two uncles would be coming as well. looking forward to seeing this as I have heard so much about the place and people I will be able to see for my self these memories that my family use to talk about

Hello TravisT.

Sorry, only just seen your post, possibly in moderation at some point then popped up behind the more recent postings.

Gardens of Stone is primarily about the Christian Street area, giving an account of living in Gerard Gardens and the surrounding area from the early 1900s through to today.

For further information please see my website linked below which shows a residents listing of Christian Street from 1963 and which in turn will link you to Gardens of stone information.

All the best,

Ged.

Quote Originally Posted by ItsaZappathing View Post
    Yeah it is a shame as I believe Ged got a round of tea in. That's only a rumour though

Not just a rumour but a vicious rumour.

Default The Echo (next year The Times)

Hello Folks
    Just to let you all know that Mrs Z's book will be out in the shops next week and also....
    This saturday's Liverpool Echo will contain a piece all about Little Italy and an interview with Debz.
    (The book can be purchased by paypal too).

I missed this sorry.

Well done Debz im looking forward to reading the book.

Thumbs up

Well folks the book is finally out.
    Liverpool's Italian Families can now be bought at all good Liverpool Bookshops or directly from The Author herself.......
    dmdanunz@hotmail.co.uk

Thanx

I got my signed copy today and met Zaps, I missed Debz but will meet up in the future.

My son paid for the book as one of my prezzies, so i cant read it for a few days still im looking forward to it.

Well done DEbz, You go Girl

Quote Originally Posted by Spike View Post
    I got my signed copy today and met Zaps, I missed Debz but will meet up in the future.

My son paid for the book as one of my prezzies, so i cant read it for a few days still im looking forward to it.

Well done DEbz, You go Girl
    And it was a real pleasure to meet you Spike.

Quote Originally Posted by mrszappa View Post
    Hi tracing your family is never an easy experience; firstly the census collators often misspelled the names largely due to the language barrier. Secondly another misconception is the birthplace back in Italy again people often think their ancestors were born in Naples if from the south and Genoa if from the north.
    Your family were southerners and they were more likely to have come from one of two villages in the Lazio region, which are Atina and Picinisco. A quick search discovers your family were living in Vauxhall ward and not Little Italy?s St Ann?s ward this could have been due to the work your gggrandfather undertook such as working on the docks etc.
    In order to find the correct spelling of the name and birthplace requires applications via Italy and unfortunately this can take a long time. Try this site, which is always a good place to start? forum.picinisco.net
    I was talking with a relative of yours today called Angela who works for the Culture Company, she was at the James William Carling street pavement art competition in Bold Street, maybe you know her.
    I have yet to come across your name even when I was researching my Liverpool?s Italian families book, another place to try is Scottie Press online forum.
    Hope this helps
    Debra D?Annunzio
    hi debra,
    and thankyou for your reply,
    sorry its taken so long for me to get back to you, you made a couple of very good suggestions which i will now follow up, i am going to go to the registrar office in old hall st to get matthews marriage cert.
    to be able to get his birth cert i would have to know the province in which he was born naples is not good enough and as i dont know the province i will have to start with the marriage cert and see what info i can gain from that then maybe i can move on with my research.
    you are right about the misspelling of the names,as, over the years on each of the census matthews surname has been spelt differently.
    i had a reply to a post on another italian website which said the name castellian does not exsist in naples and it was probably castellano!!! but as i said i will just have to wait to see what is on the marriage cert.
    as for the bit about being with my cousin angela could you shed a bit more light on thet one please as i dont know of a cousin of mine called angela but now im wondering who she is!!!
    thanks again for your help
    pat.

It's letters like this in today's L/Pool Echo that makes it all worth while.
    What nice words.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	echoletter2.jpg 
Views:	200 
Size:	819.6 KB 
ID:	9241  

Thats a nice letter

You are certainly touching people with this book Debz.

Default DOM VOLANTE

Dominic Volante, one of fourteen children born to Italian immigrant parents Maria Grazia D'Annunzio and Vincenzo Volante, quickly became a professional boxer and was lovingly known as 'The people's champion'. Dom will be immortalized in a plaque, the manufacture of which has been kindly donated by Paolo Grassi of Welsby Memorials and a boxing trophy donated by The Lord Mayor of Liverpool, Steve Rotheram. Both the plaque and trophy will be blessed at a special mass (10.15am) at St Francis Xavier's Church, Langsdale Street on the 29th of March 2009 and unveiled on Friday 17th April within the Salisbury Boxing Club, Salisbury Street, Liverpool 3. The trophy will become an annual award for the club's competitive boxers. Debra D'Annunzio dmdanunz@hotmail.co.uk

Page 8 of 12 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast