Page 1 of 12 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Italian Community - Little Italy

Gnomie

Default Italian Community - Little Italy

The Italians Settled along side the Irish In what was known as Little Italy.

http://www.scottiepress.org.uk/projects/litaly.htm

Gnomie

Quote Originally Posted by Gnomie
    The Italians Settled along side the Irish In what was known as Little Italy.
    Fimiglio, Capaldi, Fusco, Accari, Chiappe, Gurrelli, Santangeli, Volante, Moglioni, Venetti, Giannacci, Lucchesi are just some of the names of families who lived in and around Gerrard Street.

Thanks, Gnomie, for posting the link to the Little Italy.

I teach Italian at Wirral Metropolitan College and have mentioned (to my students) the fact that an area known as Little Italy existed in Liverpool. The link to the Scottie Press site makes fascinating reading. Thanks again!
    Victrix Fortunæ Sapientia

scouserdave

One of my mates is Dominic Volante, named after his Uncle Dom who was a cracking boxer according to my Dad.

A couple of pics of the unveiling of the Little Italy plaque on the old Pontack pub. It's now a detective agency. The last plaque was nicked a couple of years back.

Hello Dave, Tony and the rest.

The detective agency has gone now as well - not enough business for them obviously in that nice little Catholic area

Ron organised a Scouse Italian reunion night at the Via Veneto as you can see and he could have sold the 70 tickets three times over. Some of the Italian named families that lived in the area when I did were: Muscatelli, Ventre, Baccino, Miello and Tremarco.

Gnomie

My Grandad was born and raised in the area, he attended St Josephs church, I know a lot of the Italians attended also and they and the English/Irish would have great street parades.

Ironic really that my grandad was killed and buried in Italy during ww2.

Quote Originally Posted by Ged View Post

The detective agency has gone now as well - not enough business for them obviously in that nice little Catholic area

Ron organised a Scouse Italian reunion night at the Via Veneto as you can see and he could have sold the 70 tickets three times over. Some of the Italian named families that lived in the area when I did were: Muscatelli, Ventre, Baccino, Miello and Tremarco.
    I dont know if you would be interested or if you might know of somone who might be,but I am putting on a big football festival in Liverpool in July/June next year ,it is based on the World Cup and we have been putting it on in London for the past 12 years in Regents Park,I have already posted this on the Polish thread and have come across some interested parties there for the Polish Team,so I thought i would see if you or any of your friends would be interested in entering a team to represent Italy.
    It has been hugely succesfull in London ,even to the extent of having TV and Radio coverage.We are already a fair way down the road of organising it except for the doting the I's and crossing the T's with the council,but the TV and radio are already onboard.
    There is alot more information I could give you so if you send me a PM I will get it over to you if you think you could come up with a team or know someone who could,it is 11 a side by the way.

scouserdave

Quote Originally Posted by Ged View Post

News to me mate, thanks for that. Guess those Cat Licks don't do any sinnin'

scouserdave

Quote Originally Posted by Pmac View Post
    I dont know if you would be interested or if you might know of somone who might be,but I am putting on a big football festival in Liverpool in July/June next year ,it is based on the World Cup and we have been putting it on in London for the past 12 years in Regents Park,I have already posted this on the Polish thread and have come across some interested parties there for the Polish Team,so I thought i would see if you or any of your friends would be interested in entering a team to represent Italy.
    It has been hugely succesfull in London ,even to the extent of having TV and Radio coverage.We are already a fair way down the road of organising it except for the doting the I's and crossing the T's with the council,but the TV and radio are already onboard.
    There is alot more information I could give you so if you send me a PM I will get it over to you if you think you could come up with a team or know someone who could,it is 11 a side by the way.
    I used to play in the Hotel & Catering League in Regents Park
    Pmac, probably best if you centre your attention on Bedford rather than Liverpool. Almost every other person is bluddy Italian!

Quote Originally Posted by scouserdave View Post
    I used to play in the Hotel & Catering League in Regents Park
    Pmac, probably best if you centre your attention on Bedford rather than Liverpool. Almost every other person is bluddy Italian!
    I think you might have not understood that the event is taking place in Liverpool so the idea is to get representation of the cultures from within the city so as to bring the different cultures together in a festival of football.

scouserdave

Quote Originally Posted by Pmac View Post
    I think you might have not understood that the event is taking place in Liverpool so the idea is to get representation of the cultures from within the city so as to bring the different cultures together in a festival of football.
    I was well aware that that the event was taking place in Liverpool, but you failed to mention that it was for inhabitants solely from Liverpool. I think you need to address this.

MissInformed

Quote Originally Posted by scouserdave View Post

ha ha tony sebo! my old supervisor in LADT!

Sebo, now a Downtown liverpool guy of course, try their website also.

Pmac. Try posting your request to ronformby@scottiepress.org who is the man behind the www.scottiepress.org and he may include it in his local newspaper too. Over 1000 copies going out this month.

I never heard of a little Italy in Liverpool till you guys mentioned it!
    Gididi Gididi Goo.

Page 1 of 12 12311 ... LastLast