Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Nurse Suspended for offering to Pray

Default Nurse Suspended for offering to Pray

A Christian nurse was suspended after offering to pray for the recovery of an elderly patient.

Caroline Petrie, 45, was accused of failing to show a commitment to equality and diversity after the incident and is now awaiting the outcome of a disciplinary hearing.

The community nurse who carries out home visits in North Somerset, has been suspended by the primary care trust and could lose her job. The married mother of two argues she did not force her beliefs on anyone but simply asked if the woman would like a prayer said for her, as she has done with other patients.

www.liverbuild.co.uk chrismarsden's Avatar

Why am I not too surprised by this story.

Quote Originally Posted by Danny Farley View Post
    A Christian nurse was suspended after offering to pray for the recovery of an elderly patient.

Caroline Petrie, 45, was accused of failing to show a commitment to equality and diversity after the incident and is now awaiting the outcome of a disciplinary hearing.

The community nurse who carries out home visits in North Somerset, has been suspended by the primary care trust and could lose her job. The married mother of two argues she did not force her beliefs on anyone but simply asked if the woman would like a prayer said for her, as she has done with other patients.
    Another example of why the UK is screwed and people choose to live elsewhere

I pray for these people making these decisions. It's they that need suspending, from a beam with a rope.
    www.inacityliving.piczo.com/

Updated weekly with old and new pics.

Statistically you have more chance of your illness worsening if you know you are being prayed for.

http://www.thecrimson.com/article.aspx?ref=512467

Still, who cares if she prayed for her or not.

I've written to the hospital concerned as I feel very strongly about this matter. There was no need to suspend the nurse; they could have just given her a warning if they though that was necessary. I can't see that prayer has ever done anyone any harm, and people who are ill are often grateful for a prayer - whether they are churchgoers or not.
    There is more power in the open hand than the clenched fist

Liverpool New Yorker! Ronijayne's Avatar

I think we have arrived at some dark place in history if offering to say a prayer for a sick patient comes with this result!

My beloved Aunt died last week in Liverpool and most of my friends here British and Americans said they would say a prayer for her. I was devastated at her death even though she died on her 91st birthday and she has had a good life I was so upset I could not come to Liverpool for the cremation service. The fact that friends said a little prayer for her gave me a little comfort.

Did we all lose our freedom of speech or just this nurse? It makes me very cross that we allow everyone to come in and practice any religion they want to (as it should be) but then allow them to stop us practicing our own religions.
    Earth is the insane asylum for the universe.

P.S. Two of the people who said a prayer for my Aunt Mary are Jewish, their prayers are the same to me as Christian and I thank them all equally.

The only thing they should be saying to this nurse is 'Thank you'!

Has the world gone crazy?

Burkhilly, YUP!

Default Praise the Lord

The thing is some people do force religion on you others force political dogma. I dislike any form of extreme belief.In this case saying a prayer is the most natrual thing to do. However these incidents can fuel persecution complexes. Sincere people don't force their views onto you they try and convince you by example or argument.
    Oh as I was young and easy in the mercy of his means,
    Time held me green and dying
    Though I sang in my chains like the sea.

Dylan Thomas

Blog Entries

This is madness! Sheer idoicy...

Christians should march to North Somerset and demonstrate!
    If i were religious i'd come too.....

Default A Liverpool example of commitment to equality and diversity

Quote Originally Posted by Danny Farley View Post

In a similar vein, a friend who worked for a voluntary help group in Liverpool was asked to take off her cross and chain as this was seen as imposing her faith on others. No doubt had she been wearing signs of faith of other religions there would have been no problem. Of course the friend resigned her voluntary post.
    Last edited by taffy; 02-04-2009 at 11:09 AM.

I bet it would be ok if she took out a mat.
    Now that;s more like it
    I'm british and proud of it .
    If you don;t like my country rules well please leave
    Or stay and pay your taxes and live by our laws
    Ron

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast