Page 11 of 26 FirstFirst ... 91011121321 ... LastLast

Thread: inacityliving

Quote Originally Posted by pablo42 View Post
    They looked very unfriendly near the end. I've seen them done up in London and Glasgow and they look fantastic. Pity they couldn't have done that before they knocked them down.
    There was a reason for that though. The council policy at the end was not to maintain them and instead let them become run down with no repairs taking place. It did leave them in a sorry state not deserving of them after only a 50 year life span. We've seen on here how the Bullring, St. Andrews gardens have been done up as well as Wavertree Gardens (now Abbeygate apartments), Sussex Gardens (now Acorn apartments), Gt Richmond St dwellings (now St. Annes apartments) as well as even earlier pre WWI Eldon Grove being tackled. There are also still Nelson St tennies in china town and blocks in Old Swan and Tuebrook.

www.inacityliving.piczo.com/

Updated weekly with old and new pics.

The writer of that letter's biggest crime is not omitting the article wasn't even by me, nor tgetting my name wrong - it's calling me middle aged - cheeky b'stard - i'm only 25.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Ged View Post
    The writer of that letter's biggest crime is not omitting the article wasn't even by me, nor tgetting my name wrong - it's calling me middle aged - cheeky b'stard - i'm only 25.
    Phew! Is that in dog years.

Blog Entries

Seen the Bullring a bit back and it looks great. Is that a student dwelling or has it gone private.

Student. Another student one I missed out was Minster Court which was part of Myrtle Gardens. The rest I mentioned are gated and private. Shows what could have been done but for road taking over especially since city centre living and high rise is now back in vogue. What price living next to William Brown st these days.

Based on that letter I assumed that fella had something against u personally.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by scouse smurf View Post
    Based on that letter I assumed that fella had something against u personally.
    Certainly sounds like it. Poor attempt though. Don't really say too much.

Nah, he's got something against Ged Regan I reckon

Whereas I'm saying he's entitled to his opinion, he clearly thinks his is final.

Blog Entries

Student. Another student one I missed out was Minster Court which was part of Myrtle Gardens. The rest I mentioned are gated and private. Shows what could have been done but for road taking over especially since city centre living and high rise is now back in vogue. What price living next to William Brown st these days.
    I seen the same thing in Salford. Council flats that they couldn't give away. Then they were privatised and you can't get one now for anything. Wonder why they don't do them up for the council tenants.

Milburn and Brynford Heights on Conway St, Liverpool 5 were run down, the council put Kosovans in them, there was trouble locally, it was seedy, prostitutes hung around there. The council sold them off for just ?1 - a few years later they're private with a gymnasium and called view 146 and going for a lot of money with the views being a selling point.

The Housing Action Trust (HAT) had previously demolished a load of those high rise along Netherfield Road.

Blog Entries

Milburn and Brynford Heights on Conway St, Liverpool 5 were run down, the council put Kosovans in them, there was trouble locally, it was seedy, prostitutes hung around there. The council sold them off for just ?1 - a few years later they're private with a gymnasium and called view 146 and going for a lot of money with the views being a selling point.

The Housing Action Trust (HAT) had previously demolished a load of those high rise along Netherfield Road.
    I think a friend of mine bought them and done them up. He does it in a lot of towns and cities across the country. Why can't the council tart them up.

Money.

Blog Entries

Money.
    I bet it is. I seen some lovely estates wrecked by the residents here in Birkenhead and Wallasey. Reckon that's got something to do with it too.

Listening to Radio Merseyside drive time on the way home, Claire Hamilton recapped what was discussed on the Roger Phillips phone-in today. First up, they replayed a number of calls made about that blokes letter. Apparently the station had emails too, one was mine defending my account. A woman and a bloke from Gerard Gardens rang in as did a fella who lived in St Oswalds Gardens, Old Swan from the 1940s recalling what a great community with long landings with people actually talking to each other and looking into the square, keeping an eye on their children. It appears that chap stirred a hornets nest and is very much in the minority, so much so that the idea it was a hoax/wind-up was mentioned.

Blog Entries

Listening to Radio Merseyside drive time on the way home, Claire Hamilton recapped what was discussed on the Roger Phillips phone-in today. First up, they replayed a number of calls made about that blokes letter. Apparently the station had emails too. A woman and a bloke from Gerard Gardens rang in as did a fella who lived in St Oswalds Gardens, Old Swan from the 1940s recalling what a great community with long landings with people actually talking to each other and looking into the square, keeping an eye on their children.
    I was listening tho that on Roger Phillips today. There seemed a lot of love for the old tennies. Musta had something. I think I'd say the same thing about the estates. Maybe it was just the times. Times when all of us had nothing.

Page 11 of 26 FirstFirst ... 91011121321 ... LastLast