Page 26 of 26 FirstFirst ... 16242526

Thread: inacityliving

Well done Ged, great site.

Those of you interested in the history of the city will no doubt be glad of the periodical Echo glossy publications that usually retail for £4.99 (you can get them cheaper if you wait a bit). Ken Rogers who has held talks recently at St Georges church, Everton about the district is involved in these publications.

A good one was 'The way we worked' with photos of the likes of Littlewoods, Crawfords, Meccano etc.

I was pleased to be chosen to be interviewed at length for the next publication which will be called 'The way we lived' and will feature residential property photos including the tenements and high rise.

We'd be lucky to see a couple of local history books per year in the late 70s when I was first interested in all of this. Long live the current interest in the subject and thank god for the internet.
    www.inacityliving.piczo.com/

Updated weekly with old and new pics.

When does it hit the shops Ged?

Blog Entries

"thank god for the internet. "???
    His name is Tim Berners-Lee

Yes, probably a bit more accessible too.

FOR YOU

COMING NEXT WEEK............

INACITYLIVING goes live WORLDWIDE on FACEBOOK

Due to popular demand and incessant requests for photographs from the inacityliving website for genealogy and personal memoirs purposes, the largest singularly uploaded collection of archive photographs anywhere have been gathered under an inacityliving facebook group.

Due to its size, it's been in the making for the last 3 months and takes the form of thousands of photographs, many many hundreds of them unseen and some only retrieved from the LRO archive in the last few weeks.

25 post coded folders should take you to your desired area with ease, please be sure to comment on what floats your boat and right click away to your heart's content. It will be updated periodically so your continued return would be most appreciated.

Gems like this, Sir Thomas street on 11th May 1959. Not in any books or on any site anywhere, but it is now.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Looking forward to it Ged.

Just as a matter of interest does anyone have any history on that 'church-like' building in Crosshall St?

It is on the right hand side going towards Dale St.

I've walked all over town (and passed it) a million times but only noticed this absolute gem last Saturday!!

Ged what a great idea,,, so you can join facebook and enjoy the PROSPERITY of old images and wonderful memories of LIVERPOOL.

What will you do now with no 100 e-mails a day to answer ? ....>>>> ( I like these little pointy things >>>>>)

Brian, i've been in it, I think I have a potted history of it somewhere. I will dig it out, looks a lot like how the Weslyan chapels were built and it's similar to the Sunday day school attached to St Johns Gardens that still stands as St patricks Court on Gt Crosshall st.

Johnny, thanks for your kind words. I thought long and hard about this because as you know on another forum, my uploading of a few pics at teasing intervals on a certain thread has lead to all kinds of memories from people ex of the area and now they can just go and get those pictures themselves, that could end but I hope not. All new 'old' photos I retrieve which are clearly what the people want, (they can take their 'now' ones themselves, and many do) I will withold for a couple of weeks and put them on forums first to create the aforementioned interest first.

I can just point the people who are computer savvy or on facebook in the right direction now Johnny, but no doubt there are still many who will need photos on my email reply to them. I'm just in touch currently with an eminent authority on a certain piece of engineering in one of our most famous buildings and he's found what he calls to be the 'holy Grail' as in a photo that's vital to his lectures that he's never seen before and didn't even know existed. I'll forward you our email correspondence.

Great news Ged, well done.................. I might have to join facebook now!

Quote Originally Posted by Brian-P View Post
    Looking forward to it Ged.

Just as a matter of interest does anyone have any history on that 'church-like' building in Crosshall St?

It is on the right hand side going towards Dale St.

I've walked all over town (and passed it) a million times but only noticed this absolute gem last Saturday!!
    Hi Bri

I think I know the one you mean...........I think it was a Welsh Chapel but not 100%

There's a for sale sign.........some info here...............

http://chapel-liverpool.co.uk/the_property.php

Cheers Ged. I'd appreciate that mate.

It just goes to show though doesn't it? Sometimes we don't see even when our eyes are wide open.

---------- Post added at 12:41 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:36 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Lizzie1 View Post

Hi Bri

I think I know the one you mean...........I think it was a Welsh Chapel but not 100%

There's a for sale sign.........some info here...............

http://chapel-liverpool.co.uk/the_property.php

Thanks Lizzie. The video on that link has to be the most uninspiring I've seen.

I'm surprised it isn't getting converted to apartments though.

Page 26 of 26 FirstFirst ... 16242526