Page 1 of 20 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Liverpool Parks and Grounds

Default Liverpool Parks and Grounds

Q: When does the council say yes to digging up our historic parks...? A: When it suits it
    Sep 7 2005
    By Nick Coligan, Liverpool Echo

PART of Liverpool's historic Calderstones Park could be ripped up for a car park, the ECHO can reveal.

The proposal by the city council comes despite fears that Alder Hey children's hospital, which has outgrown its site, will not be allowed to rebuild on nearby parkland.

Calderstones car park would provide spaces for the predicted 100,000 visitors a year to a new tropical plant conservation centre, nicknamed the "mini Eden Project".

But families living near Calderstones Park are furious that a swathe of green space and trees could be lost beneath concrete, and have launched a campaign to convince city leaders to redraw the £12.7m plan.

The council says the car park is vital.

It also insists the lost parkland would be replaced by the landscaping of the derelict site of a former council depot.

But the row throws open to question the council's policy on building on the city's precious parkland - because Alder hey also insist that they will replace parkland for their proposed hospital rebuild.

Denis Smith, of Calderstones Road, said: "I do not think anyone has a problem with the Eden Project part. It would definitely enhance the park.

"But I do not think the car park is acceptable at all. It will be about three times the size of the Eden Project site and the reality is that we will lose a green section of the park.

"I would rather the council built the car park on the former depot site where the collection used to be based in a row of greenhouses, because it is derelict land."

Paul Timmins, 45, of Calderstones Road, added: "I do not think much thought has gone into this plan.

"If we start building on parkland, we will not have much culture left for Capital of Culture.

"It is not just residents around the park who should be concerned. Calderstones Park belongs to everyone."

The council wants to build three bio-domes with different temperatures and landscapes at Calderstones Park, the historic home of its botanic collection.

Cllr Warren Bradley, executive member for leisure, said: "No green space will be lost if a new car park is built at Calder-stones Park.

"The Harthill depot area of the park, which is an area of wasteland, will be turned into parkland to replace the land used for the car park.

"I must stress the plans for Calderstones Park and the botanic collection are still in the very early stages.

"We welcome the views of residents and park users, and will take all comments into consideration when the council discusses the future of the park."

Cllr Paul Brant, opposition spokesman for neighbourhood management, said: " I am appalled that these proposals will result in the loss of part of Calderstones Park."

£12.7m bio-domes for rare plants

THE planned home for Liverpool's botanic collection would be the city's most futuristic tourist attraction.

Tropical plants from around the world would be housed in three biodomes with different temperatures and humidity.

The botanic collection dates back to 1803 and was the first in the north of England.

Over the past two centuries, it has been at several sites - including Calderstones Park - and is currently based at Greenhill Nursery in Garston.

It is still the largest tropical plant collection in the north, containing about 16,000 plants.

But the plants are housed in dilapidated greenhouses, which are closed to the public.

Two years ago, a study suggested Calderstones Park was the best location for the collection and said it could attract up to 100,000 visitors a year.

The £12.7m plan is to house the botanical collection in a new display building next to the walled garden.

The council says a large area of car parking would be required for tourists, which would also provide spaces for general park visitors.

It is also proposed to create a commercial garden centre to help cover expected annual running costs of £650,000.

The council is planning to sell off the Grade II-listed Mansion House, Coach House and outbuildings. They are used by the council as offices, but are in a poor condition.

ECHO Political Reporter Nick Coligan says...

ROWS over the future of Liverpool's parkland are becoming more common - and now the council is facing a new storm.

At the moment, the biggest problem is that the public does not know what the town hall's policy is on green spaces.

On the one hand, they hear that the council will not allow new houses and the tram network to be built on city parks.

Alder Hey's hope of rebuilding its ageing facilities on Springfield Park appears increasingly at risk because it will wipe out green space.

On the other, Liverpool FC are given permission to build a new stadium on part of Stanley Park.

Now the council has its own proposals to build three bio-domes and a car park on Calderstones Park.

Why are some schemes acceptable, and others not?

The council's policy on parkland is that it will generally object to losing green space.

But there are exceptions. They take certain criteria into account when making a decision, for example if it improves a park's conservation or recreational value.

With Calderstones car park, the council believes it will increase the park's recreational value by allowing more people to use it. However, it seems strange that a car park is acceptable, but a new hospital is not.

The council must make its reasoning clear.

ECHO essentials

YOU can see the council's plans for the botanic collection at Calderstones Park on its website. Go to http://councillors.liverpool.gov.uk/...MeetingId=4550

If you want to contact the campaigners objecting to the proposal, email Paul Timmins at paultmmns05@aol.com

Source: icLiverpool

Blog Entries

A great proposal (The Eden Style Project) but I love Caldease Park and would hate any carpark build there, However, there is a section that is hardly used in one of the corners by where the small carpark is now.
    Become A Supporter 👇

Donate Via PayPal

Donate

Blog Entries

Default Sefton Park

THE future of hundreds of trees in Liverpool's Sefton Park is expected to be sealed soon when a multi-million pound restoration plan is unveiled.

Park users fear that up to 500 mature trees and seedlings could be at threat as part of a project to restore the park to its Victorian splendour.

A team of experts drawing up ambitious plans, backed by Lottery funding, admit that a number of trees will have to come down, but say the final number has yet to be decided.

The trees at risk are decayed or dying, pose a health and safety hazard, or are not part of the original park landscape.

A number in front of the Rath-bone monument are earmarked for the axe because they prevent the statue of the famous city benefactor from being seen from the Aigburth Vale end of the lake, as originally envisaged.

A walk-through was held yesterday to enable the team charged with drawing up the plans to hear the views of local organisations and park supporters.

Next month, a public consultation exercise is likely to be held to give the general public a first glimpse of what will happen as part of the £6.5m restoration initiative.

The plans will then be submitted to the National Lottery Heritage Fund for final approval, with work likely to start next year.

The threat to many healthy trees has concerned green-issues activist Lou McVey.

She said: "I was brought up in the Scotland Road area and as children we came to Sefton Park to enjoy the spring blossoms every year and to enjoy the open air. It was a great experience for us to be brought here. Now I live closer to the park but I have no back garden and look upon the park as my own back yard.

"I accept that some of the trees will need to be cut down, but I want to make sure that as many healthy specimens as possible survive. Some have been standing for 50 years and deserve to survive.

More.....
    Become A Supporter 👇

Donate Via PayPal

Donate

Blog Entries

Default Sefton Park Lasers

I've noticed these around Sefton Park in the evening. Bright lasers shining motifs onto the grass, does anyone know about these?

I go jogging by the way
    Become A Supporter 👇

Donate Via PayPal

Donate

Quote Originally Posted by kev
    I go jogging by the way
    Glad you clarified, my boy!

What kind of motifs are they, Kev?
    Ermine tastes much the same as sackcloth when there's nothing left to eat.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Scousemouse
    Glad you clarified, my boy!

What kind of motifs are they, Kev?
    I dont hang around too long - just catch my eye, they are very good though.
    Become A Supporter 👇

Donate Via PayPal

Donate

Kev, I wonder if this could have anything to do with your sightings?

Posted 29/1/2003

If you were asked to design a piece of art to go on permanent display in Sefton Park, what would you come up with?

That's a question recently faced by five artists in Liverpool, and last week I spent an hour at The Palm House in Sefton Park, looking at a display of the ideas they have proposed.

The one I liked the best, though, was a laser installation, which projects to eight points around the park, the signatures of each of the eight people whose statues stand at the corners of the octagonal Palm House.

I gave it my vote. And the reason I did that was something to do with EXPLORING THE PAST.

It made me think: who are these people whose statues surround the Palm House and whose signatures will light up the park if those lasers are installed?
    Source

Palmhouse Statues

Hey, perhaps we should start the Liverpool Quiz off again? First Question: name the eight statues...

Blog Entries

Highland Mary
    The Angel's Whisper
    Marble Bench
    Two Goats
    Linnaeus
    John Parkinson
    Andre Le Notre
    Darwin
    Become A Supporter 👇

Donate Via PayPal

Donate

Crikey, I didn't know you were an historian, just hang on while I check the website.....Correct! er, just a thought, you didn't cheat did you?

As if... strange you got them in the correct order though.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Scousemouse
    Crikey, I didn't know you were an historian, just hang on while I check the website.....Correct! er, just a thought, you didn't cheat did you?

As if... strange you got them in the correct order though.
    Me - a cheat? No me popped into the palmhouse tonite mid jog They are filming a TV prog there or a big period film there today.
    Become A Supporter 👇

Donate Via PayPal

Donate

Yep, last week I spotted them on Tuesday, but couldn't read what they said.

I go round sefton too sometimes Kev. Maybe I'll notice ya there one day.
    Gididi Gididi Goo.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Max
    Yep, last week I spotted them on Tuesday, but couldn't read what they said.

I go round sefton too sometimes Kev. Maybe I'll notice ya there one day.
    I'll keep my eye out Max
    Become A Supporter 👇

Donate Via PayPal

Donate

Might be there tommorrow evening.

You've seen what I look like on the members mugshots.
    Gididi Gididi Goo.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Max
    Might be there tommorrow evening.

You've seen what I look like on the members mugshots.
    Eh - now people will be talking I'm having a break today (sat) as I'm running the Santa Dash on Sunday, ho ho ho.
    Become A Supporter 👇

Donate Via PayPal

Donate

Good on yer, Kev, I haven't got a dash in me. Takes me all my time to dash to the pub!

Page 1 of 20 12311 ... LastLast