Page 17 of 20 FirstFirst ... 71516171819 ... LastLast

Thread: Liverpool Parks and Grounds

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Steven
    Instead of constantly complaining, why not get of yer ar*e and do something yourself. ????

I have I wrote to the council saying I believe the armies of unemployed layabouts should be put to use cleaning St John's gardens for their benefit money provided through my taxes.

Phew, thank god for that.

I thought Steven meant you should hire a jet wash or something.
    www.inacityliving.piczo.com/

Updated weekly with old and new pics.

Quote Originally Posted by PhilipG View Post
    Not a new idea.
    The unemployed worked on the laying out of Sefton Park in the 1860s, but they didn't call them 'layabouts'.
    they might of done, nobody is still around to ask them hiow they felt, however, i do believe that there does need to be a payback system in place for the unemployable, not the unemployed as that is temporary, i mean the ones who are sitting around for 6 months or more

In 1860, kids stealing bread to live on were still being transported around Australia as convicts which is a bit harsher than being called a layabout but having children of my own that have hung around with some who already look like becoming dole lifers, I get Libertarian's drift. Of course we can't tarnish a whole generation with the same brush, not even the chav rapper

I wouldn't be enticing them with free lunches though, that those who do want to work have to pay for, my enticement would be do it or lose your dole - simple as (you never know it may even encourage them to reprimand the dullards that do such graffiti in the future)
    Last edited by Ged; 01-17-2008 at 10:26 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Ged View Post
    In 1860, kids stealing bread to live on were still being transported to Australia as convicts which is a bit harsher than being called a layabout but having children of my own that have hung around with some who already look like becoming dole lifers, I get Libertarian's drift. Of course we can't tarnish a whole generation with the same brush, not even the chav rapper

I wouldn't be enticing them with free lunches though, that those who do want to work have to pay for, my enticement would be do it or lose your dole - simple as (you never know it may even encourage them to reprimand the dullards that do such graffiti in the future)
    wom't be long before the pc brigade will be transporting them to australia again, only this time it will be as a therapy , and the only hard labour they will have is sitting on a board for 10 mins waiting for a decent wave......( if this hasn't happend already )

Clarke Gardens was one of the best places I remember, when it had all the animals/birds/fish. Left to rot away despite part of it being Listed. It's still possible to stick a camera through the gates and see the old Aviary and Glass-house.

Steven

Quote Originally Posted by marky View Post
    Clarke Gardens was one of the best places I remember, when it had all the animals/birds/fish. Left to rot away despite part of it being Listed. It's still possible to stick a camera through the gates and see the old Aviary and Glass-house.
    I agree Marky. Clarke Gardens was like a little farm where I could take my kids and have a picnic................shame it's gone.

Quote Originally Posted by Ged View Post
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Steven
    Instead of constantly complaining, why not get of yer ar*e and do something yourself. ????

I have I wrote to the council saying I believe the armies of unemployed layabouts should be put to use cleaning St John's gardens for their benefit money provided through my taxes.

Phew, thank god for that.

I thought Steven meant you should hire a jet wash or something.
    ha,ha, me too .. I had a vision of Libiterian with a mop & bucket !

Default Spring is in the air

Sun worshippers greet the sun in St John`s Gardens yesterday
    THE BEST VITAMIN FOR MAKING FRIENDS ? B.1

My Flickr site: www.flickr.com/photos/exacta2a/

http://flickrhivemind.net/User/exacta2a

And the kids are playing by the fountain top of William Brown St

A lovely summery pic that 1st one GD, like one of those 1960s post cards from around that area. Being local, I used to take my kids to the fountain at the weekend a good few summers ago, cozzies under their clothes. I could sit and remember bygone days and now they like that area too because it reminds them of their childhood.

Thanks Ged,went down to the Art Gallery to see the Train Pics exhibition with
    my sidekick as he is mad on trains

Default www.liverpoolparks.org

Secrets of city’s parks
    Jun 3 2008
    by Catherine Jones, Liverpool Echo

THE secrets of Liverpool’s parks and green spaces are being revealed in a new advertising campaign.

Conceptual artist Nils Norman has spent the past few months working closely with Liverpool’s parks and environment service and parks experts, exploring and photographing Liverpool’s major green spaces.

These include Greenbank, Everton, Princes, Sefton and Birkenhead parks and Wavertree botanic gardens.

The result is a light-hearted advertising campaign, being launched today which highlights Liverpool’s unique and often little-known parks.

The 42-year-old artist has also linked the parks through the city’s public transport system by creating online maps so everyone can explore the secrets of the green spaces.

His work is part of the Visible Virals initiative commissioned by the Liverpool Culture Company and managed through Liverpool Biennial’s public realm project.

London-based Nils, who explored and recorded the historic public spaces on foot and by public transport, has developed a new spin on the conventional advertising and reveals the hidden places and activities of each park.

A spokeswoman for Visible Virals said: “The campaign repackages the parks as if they were a product or holiday location, sometimes alluding to phrases and buzzwords of classic popular adverts.

“The posters will be rolled out this summer on buses, bus shelters, in stations and billboards citywide.”

Alongside the poster campaign, a unique interactive website has been developed so the public can explore online using Google maps and highlighting the parks’ histories, curiosities and interesting details, as well as special walks between and inside the parks.

Visitors to the site will be encouraged to e-mail their own images and favourite places to be added to the site – creating a special online archive of material for each park.

The website will include the photographic material Nils Norman has gathered during his research.

The maps and artwork produced for the poster campaign are available to download at www.liverpoolparks.org from today.

Source: Liverpool Echo

Default "Lost" Parks of Liverpool

Quote Originally Posted by Howie View Post
    Secrets of city’s parks
    Jun 3 2008
    by Catherine Jones, Liverpool Echo

THE secrets of Liverpool’s parks and green spaces are being revealed in a new advertising campaign.

Conceptual artist Nils Norman has spent the past few months working closely with Liverpool’s parks and environment service and parks experts, exploring and photographing Liverpool’s major green spaces.

These include Greenbank, Everton, Princes, Sefton and Birkenhead parks and Wavertree botanic gardens.

Source: Liverpool Echo
    I'm surprised to see that some of the major parks of south Liverpool have been omitted. I'm not surprised that the "gardens" associated with St James Church, Toxteth have also been omitted. This latter superb location owned by Liverpool City council since the early 20th C and directly opposite Liverpool Cathedral has been left to deteriorate over many years.

New book reveals the historic heritage of Liverpool’s famous open spaces
    Aug 9 2008
    by David Charters, Liverpool Daily Post

We take our parklands for granted, but here David Charters reveals their origins

Glory of city’s parks

IF GOD made the world, who owns the land? That question has caused some trouble down the years, as you can see in the silence of the white-stoned graveyards left by war.

Even in times of peace, we find ourselves enclosed. Look around at the walls, fences, gates, barbed wire and razor wire.

And then there are those signs – Keep Out: Private Property, No Games, Don’t Walk on the Grass, No Parking, Access for Commercial Vehicles Only, Authorised Personnel Only, and so on and so on. Lines of demarcation are everywhere.

But, in Victorian Britain, a concerted effort was made by idealists, politicians and philanthropic merchants to give some of the land back to the people, to plant new Edens – public gardens where the little girl in the foetid cellar could see a flower grow free and her pale brother could smell the clean air.

Sentimental images may be scoffed at in our cynical times, but they were at the root of many noble deeds.

As is so often the case, Liverpool was at the forefront of this new spirit, creating huge open spaces for people of all social classes, which really meant there would be no admission charge.

The 69-acre Princes Park, named after the Prince of Wales, set the way. It opened in 1842, having been laid out by Joseph Paxton, who would later win even greater fame for Birkenhead Park (1847) and the Crystal Palace (1851).

Most of Liverpool’s parks have survived and their history is charted in a beautifully illustrated new book, while their continuing importance to us is symbolised by the restoration of the Princes Park “sunburst” gates.

It is being carried out by Burleigh Stone, of Bootle, and Ben Murphy, 28, the expert monument restorer and son of Tom, sculptor of fine Liverpool statues, including Bill Shankly, Dixie Dean and John Lennon.

It is generally accepted that the much larger Birkenhead Park (1847) was the first, created by public subscription, to be open to everyone, making it the first truly public park. But this distinction could have belonged to Princes Park, had it not retained a considerable garden area around the lake for the private use of residents from the surrounding villas.

Even so, its opening ushered in the glory days of public parks. In 1850, the Liverpool Improvement Committee advertised for plans for the laying out of unoccupied land. The result was a proposal to create a “ribbon of parks” around the town (Liverpool became a city in 1880). The scheme was stalled by a lack of finance, but, with the passing of the Improvement Act of 1865, the corporation was able to raise the necessary £500,000. The ribbon was Newsham, Stanley and Sefton Parks.

Of course, there are numerous other parks, gardens and open spaces in Liverpool – a map in 2005 listed 77, including such well known locations as Calderstones Park, St James’ Mount and Cemetery, and Otterspool Park and Promenade.

Among them is Abercromby Square, overlooked by the history department of Liverpool University, where sits Robert Lee, co-author of the new book, Places of Health and Amusement; Liverpool’s Historic Parks and Gardens.

Robert, a father of four from Birkenhead, graduated from Oxford in modern history. He is now professor of economic and social history at Liverpool.

As he records in the book, Liverpool had extensive open spaces before the dawn of public parks. Among these were Ranelagh Gardens, which flourished on the site of the Adelphi Hotel, between 1722 and 1790.

The difference was that these places either charged for admittance or could be entered by invitation only. Also, in 1802, Liverpool had opened a botanic garden on Myrtle Street, and there were zoological gardens at various locations, including one on clay pits in West Derby Road, Tuebrook, between 1832-63.

Other areas became gathering places for those wishing to escape the slums, though they did not always gain favour with the Porcupine, a wonderful journal with a jaundiced view of authority. It described one plot as, “a cheerful scrap, with all the smoke of the whole line of town and docks agreeably uprising on one side, and the vapours of the charnel-house, the healthful exhalations from our dear brethren and sisters departed, steaming upwards on the other”.

But other parks are affectionately regarded in Liverpool’s folk history.

“Princess Park was Paxton’s first independent design and was therefore of great significance nationally and beyond,” says Robert. “It was not until the development of the great Victorian parks, which followed the plan of 1850 for providing a ribbon of landscaped park surrounding the city core, that you find full public access.

“Liverpool was somewhat upset that Birkenhead, a much smaller town, though developing rapidly, was the first urban settlement to establish a public park. It was from then onwards that many other corporations prioritised increasingly the health-related agendas which park provision represented.”

Robert’s co-author Katy Layton-Jones, 29, left Cambridge, with a PhD for research into Topographical Views of British Provincial Towns, shortly before researching for the book. She is now teaching in Oxford.

“People don’t appreciate the sheer size of Liverpool’s parks,” she says. “What you have is true open, green space. They are not stingy. They have a diverse range. Liverpool has pretty much an example of every kind of park created in Britain in the past 200 years. I can’t think of another place that has that.”

Places of Health and Amusement: Liverpool’s Historic Parks and Gardens, by Katy Layton-Jones and Robert Lee, is published by English Heritage, at £7.99.

Source: Liverpool Daily Post

Stately home has five star rating

The hall is currently undergoing refurbishment
    A stately home in Merseyside has been awarded a five star gold rating for its guest accommodation.

Knowsley Hall is home to Lord and Lady Derby as well as the award-winning Knowsley Safari Park.

The grading was given to the hall by VisitBritain for its individually designed guest bedrooms.

All nine rooms have been refurbished as part of an extensive restoration of the hall, which has been the ancestral home of the Stanley family since 1385.

Lady Derby said: "We are delighted to have received the grading and look forward to opening our doors to guests who can enjoy a genuine stately home experience when they stay with us.

"It's fitting that in Liverpool's European Capital of Culture year we are now able to offer visitors to the city five star service in a five star environment."

The hall has already hosted high profile events including Yoko Ono's White Ball for the Alder Hey Imagine appeal.

The refurbishment of the hall is ongoing, with three more bedrooms due for completion in October this year.

Page 17 of 20 FirstFirst ... 71516171819 ... LastLast