Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Mersey tunnel collapse 1928

Blog Entries

Some real sad story's on this thread, telling reminder of how great a cost the Tunnel was built at,
    BrianD

Blog Entries

Good stories guys.

Hi Desi, took a few (not very good) pic's of the memorial stone,but with the height,reflection,and a parking attendant heading my way,it was a bit of a rush! Nice to see fresh flowers, had recently been placed there!

Many thanks for taking the time and energy to post these photographs, it is very much appreciated and very kind of you to do so. As you say it is nice to see that people still remember those young men who tragically lost their lives trying to earn a crust for their families, often times they had survived the great war, poverty and other tribulations only to sadly fall in the tunnel

Default Mersey tunnel death 1930?

I have just made contact with a distant cousin in Australia and his grandfather so the story goes died during the construction of the mersey tunnel. Things get a bit confusing as there are many tunnels.

His Grandfathers name was Michael Mitchell year of death 1930, he was meant to be buried in Tranmere Cheshire on the 14th of June 1930.

Michael was Irish, cuts it down a bit!!!! can anybody help.

regards Eddie.

His name is not shown on the memorial above Eddie. Is there a memorial at the Birkenhead end? Did he die because of the construction or during it of natural causes etc?
    www.inacityliving.piczo.com/

Updated weekly with old and new pics.

The following was on Rootsweb. I will contact the lady to make sure she knows her father is listed on the monument:

Hi everyone,

I am trying to locate ancestors or family of my father, Henry Francis Garrett De Moul. He was born in Ireland in 1904/1905 and as a child came with his mother to live in Liverpool. He was an only child and was known at that time as Harry St. Leger - his mother's second husband's name. His mother married for a third time to a Beardmore. My father was in the Irish Guards as a young man and married my mother in 1925. He was crushed by falling rock when employed building the Mersey Tunnel in 1929. He was buried in Liverpool Catholic Cemetery, Yew Tree, West Derby, which I believe is now closed. His mother was buried with him a few years later. I have been searching off and on for the last 15 years and cannot even find the name De Moul.

Any help or suggestions would be appreciated.

Patricia [Williams]
    Christopher T. George
    Editor, Ripperologist
    Editor, Loch Raven Review
    http://christophertgeorge.blogspot.com/
    Chris on Flickr and on MySpace

Kingsway Tunnel Memorial, Seacombe.

http://s229.photobucket.com/albums/e...Seacombe_V.jpg

Thanks Marky. I wasn't even aware of anyone being killed on such a more modern way of tunnelling with the 'mole' machine.
    www.inacityliving.piczo.com/

Updated weekly with old and new pics.

Quote Originally Posted by marky View Post
    Kingsway Tunnel Memorial, Seacombe.

http://s229.photobucket.com/albums/e...Seacombe_V.jpg
    There is already a reference on Yo to another, earlier accident that resulted in the death of 18-year old James Herbert Brown on 29/11/28, caused when rock fell during blasting under the site of the old Liverpool Castle, here:

http://www.yoliverpool.com/forum/sho...-collapse-1928

i dont know Ged but can see why u ask. seeing as he is not mentioned on any memorial is it likley that he died of cause sunrelated to construction? or have names been missed form the memorial.

It is poss that Michael didn't die during construction (ta Ged) if this was the case how could i find out if he did die in the liverpool are as all we have is a family story. if he did die during construction then what construction was in process during 1930 and is there a memorial.

Quote Originally Posted by eddiegibb View Post
    I have just made contact with a distant cousin in Australia and his grandfather so the story goes died during the construction of the mersey tunnel. Things get a bit confusing as there are many tunnels.

His Grandfathers name was Michael Mitchell year of death 1930, he was meant to be buried in Tranmere Cheshire on the 14th of June 1930.

Michael was Irish, cuts it down a bit!!!! can anybody help.

regards Eddie.

Default McGing and the Queensway Tunnel

Good morning
    I was just wondering where I could find more information on the tunnel collapse. My Grandfather John McGing was a labourer and died in General Hospital in 1932 from the complications of injuries received during the collapse of the tunnel. I have tried Google but all that pulls up is the Wikipedia insert. I was wondering if there was anything more detailed including records of workers etc

Many thanks

Blog Entries

There is this of general tunnel interest...

http://www.tunnelusers.org.uk/history.htm

Just wondering, any ideas on where would I start to try to get my Grandads name on the plaque? He was involved in the collapse of 1928 and then spent the next four years suffering before dying of his injuries in 1932. There are stories of him bending the bedposts when the pain in his legs got too much. My nan lost a baby girl(third one) just after his death as well and couldnt afford to pay for the funeral, got turned away by the Catholic church for having no money so had to beg another church to bury the baby. My nan then had the job of raising five boys on her own. Apparantly before the accident my grandad used to go to the pub and if he was 'skint' would turn his glass upside down and someone would have to fight him!!! God it scares you to think this was only 80 years ago. My grandad is buried in public grave at Ford Cemetery, I think General Hospital, Bootle may have buried him if nan had to beg the church to bury the baby. I dont mind paying to get his name added to the plaque but I am guessing I need permission first

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast