Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Boot Estate, Norris Green

Default Boot Estate, Norris Green

This thread shows some photographs I've taken recently on the Boot estate. I'd heard about the situation there and had wanted to visit the estate for a while. What I saw shocked me, I honestly didn't know that people were living like this in Liverpool today.

Just to enlighten anybody who's not familiar with the area, the Boot estate in Norris Green was built in the 1920s and comprised around 2000 council houses. The majority of these properties were built of prefabricated reinforced concrete.

It wasn't long though until the houses started to develop structural problems, and in the end they were classed as 'defective dwellings'. A major programme of investment and modernisation started on the estate a decade ago; but that was as far as it got.

Many homes were demolished, but the project has never been seen through to completion. What we see now is people living between burnt out and partially demolished houses on an estate that is almost uninhabitable.

I don't know the full story about the situation on the Boot estate (and I'm sure other members of the forum can add to this thread), but what I have seen there on the visits I've made over the last couple of weeks is very, very sad.

The Boot estate is around 3 miles from Liverpool city centre; though it may as well be a million miles away from the modern, trendy apartments being built on the waterfront. It's an eerie, and in some ways, almost-forgotten area.

This is 21st century living in Liverpool...

Some good pictures there. I hope some residents or former residents can come on with their views and experiences of living on the boot estate.

it would also be great if any members could come on with any photographs of the boot in previous years.

I'm sure that in this day and age, with the excellent and beautiful city centre, the leaders of the city council would love to deny all responsibility for this area that seems to have been lost in time...

Keeping It Real !!!!!!!!! ItsaZappathing's Avatar

Brilliant pics Ross08.
    This is my neck of the woods. Sadly!!:PDT_Xtremez_42

Blog Entries

What puzzles me is that I lived in exactly the same sort of house in Allerton, from 10 to 27 years old. I left in 1978 but was in the area last year; most of the houses are clearly the pride and joy of the residents and are well kept.

There may well be structural issues which have led to the condition of the Boot estate, but I'd say they were very much compounded by social issues.

Quote Originally Posted by kevin View Post
    What puzzles me is that I lived in exactly the same sort of house in Allerton, from 10 to 27 years old. I left in 1978 but was in the area last year; most of the houses are clearly the pride and joy of the residents and are well kept.

There may well be structural issues which have led to the condition of the Boot estate, but I'd say they were very much compounded by social issues.
    You have hit the nail on the head there. Becouse they are council houses people think it is always down to the council for the upkeep.

I worked with a chap who lived in a council house, he left a small kitchen window broken for thirteen years before he would replace it himself.
    I wander how much heat was lost over the years?

I've spent quite a bit of time in Norris Green over the last fortnight, finding my way around. The houses there are generally good. There are many, many decent houses that people clearly take pride in.

I expect many residents of the area have lived there all their lives and have been there since long before the recent 'issues' were a problem.

By saying 'I wouldn't go to Norris Green' etc... people are writing off a large, thriving community of mainly decent, honest people.

From what I've seen, there is far more good than bad in the area.

Blog Entries

[QUOTE=Ross08;160340]I've spent quite a bit of time in Norris Green over the last fortnight, finding my way around. The houses there are generally good. There are many, many decent houses that people clearly take pride in.

I expect many residents of the area have lived there all their lives and have been there since long before the recent 'issues' were a problem.

By saying 'I wouldn't go to Norris Green' etc... people are writing off a large, thriving community of mainly decent, honest people.

From what I've seen, there is far more good than bad in the area.[/QUOTE]

True in oh so many areas. Unfortunately, mud always sticks (especially the Garston variety!)

Default Allerton

Did you drink in the Allerton Kevin ?
    Oh as I was young and easy in the mercy of his means,
    Time held me green and dying
    Though I sang in my chains like the sea.

Dylan Thomas

Hello.would love to see a photo of Wandsworth road my mums house is still there I know 85.but the houses opersite where pull'd down.(pebble dash one had foults?)thanks for showing them.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Paddy View Post
    Did you drink in the Allerton Kevin ?
    Not once. My nearest pub was the Heath, on Heath Road, by I mostly drank in the Rose on Rose Lane, near to where most of my mates lived.

Keeping It Real !!!!!!!!! ItsaZappathing's Avatar

Lets not forget the above pics are of a small area of Norris Green.There's a lot more like it.

Indeed that is true, this is by no means the extent of Norris Green...

EDWARDO... Might be able to help you on the Wandsworth Road photo appeal, leave it with me a day or two. As far as I am aware, somebody will no doubt correct me if I'm wrong, I believe a lot of the houses in Wandsworth have been demolished. I think I'm right in saying that almost the whole of one side has been demolished and some of them replaced with new housing...

Default The boot estate

Here is the council's take on what's happening.

http://www.liverpool.gov.uk/Housing/...?render=liquid

www.inacityliving.piczo.com/

Updated weekly with old and new pics.

I lived in Branthwaite crescent, I got out of that house 12 years ago on medical grounds. In the winter the bedroom windows were covered in ice on the inside, one gas fire, no central heating. It did`nt matter how good or what you payed for decorating, it always got ruined with the damp. That s not through neglect it was structual even the extention they built on was coming away inthe end. You cant blame tenants for that.

Some pics of the boot estate at the bottom of this page of my site:

http://inacityliving.piczo.com/?g=41897456&cr=7

www.inacityliving.piczo.com/

Updated weekly with old and new pics.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast