Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: The Mudmen Code,a potty history of Garston

Blog Entries

Thank you for your kind comments and queries,alas the journal is somewhat tattered and our narrator is struggling back there ,but give him time; like you ,I have no idea where all this is going to end,
    BrianD

Blog Entries

22.04 1898
    The prognostication of our midshipman has turned out to be correct,the damage is far too great to effect an attempt around the Horn so our Captain
    has decided to head for a ship repair yard at La Boca in Buenos Aires.
    How long we will be there is anyone?s guess.
    A word about our Captain, he is a direct descendant of that same Templar shipmaster who sought refuge from the wicked Saliente, or Frogs as we say in the modern parlance. Being a foreigner and a Templar to boot, neither he ,nor his descendents were initiated into the Brotherhood. Instead he, and his crew , were allowed to carry on their Templar ways, but strictly out of sight from our churchmen and other uninitiated citizenry. No sign or emblem was allowed to be shown, as far as the Holy Roman church knew ,they were good catholic seaman who come to ply their trade on our behalf. With their navigation skills ,and their knowledge of ships and all that was involved in the course of ocean travel ,they were the greatest prize ever to land on Garstons shore.
    Our fleet increased ,and so did the need for ships, and this is where our Templar friends excelled for the number of shipwrights that had come with them was sufficient for us to open our own shipyards.
    Soon our vessels were seen to be the finest afloat , traders from other ports came to order their new vessels from us and our town had to expand to cope with influx of workmen needed to meet the demands.
    Some villeins from Larpool sought gainful employ within our town but they were taken on only under sufferance, letters of guarantee were sought from their parish priests before they were allowed entry through the town gates. One infraction against the restrictions placed upon them and they were despatched very quickly back to their village by Brother Asbo.
    As time past and trade prospered ,so did then need for men to man our ships. The Illuminati instructed the Brethren to build a School of Navigation, this would be sited at the farthest reaches of Garstons boundaries, on the shore of Grassendale, near the site of the Convent of La Sagesse, a much venerated place .Some elders thought it unwise to have so many mariners in such close proximity to so many virgins ,but the matter was soon passed over.
    With the passing of the years too ,we saw our Templar friends marry into local families and to assimilate themselves into our way of life they also Anglicised their names, the de Kong brothers dropped their surname and took their ancestors forename ,altered to make it look local, Aspinall . Only one of them carried on the maritime tradition, that was the wilder one, Mad Jack Aspinall,the other brother had set up a brewhouse on the southern shore and was brewing ale from the same waters as we excavated our mud from. It was a mighty potent brew. The water was only drawn on the ebb tide for that was when it flowed fresh from the Pennine Hills. The town walls ,which had been erected in the 12th century were soon in need of relocating , such was our populace that we had to purchase land from the manors that abutted our demesne.
    I am afraid that I will have to curtail my writing at this juncture ,there has been a call for my services on deck and I must ,once more lay down my pen
    22.04 .1898

Default History

I have a few questions.

Did they build ships at oglet?

Did larpool men ever court the women of Garston?

Did The lar Sagesse sisters fast all year round and become good at figures?

If the source of the river mercy is atop the Pennines, who was king of the peak distict?

What year was the seige of Garstonia by Larpool?
    Oh as I was young and easy in the mercy of his means,
    Time held me green and dying
    Though I sang in my chains like the sea.

Dylan Thomas

Brilliant writings as always Brian. You have a talent to draw the reader into the story.

Blog Entries

Hey Paddy,just read the b****y and stop with the questions,this is a potty history,not an historical treatise.If you keep on you just might find yourself in it ! You have been warned..........
    The Author

Blog Entries

YES , WHEN DID THE SKIN BOATS START TO SAIL INTO GARSTON.?
    WAS IT AFTER WHEN THE MUD DRIED.? OR BEFORE AND USED AS CURRENCY TO BUY THE MUD??

Blog Entries

Fancy asking me that question Cap'n Cong,you know your great,great,great.great grandfather sailed in with the first bunch! Just read the story.
    The author

Brian, I think I'm getting the gist of this great and secret tale, I do'nt suppose there's a bit in it for me?
    I believe some of my local Severn mud was mixed with that which you speak of, by ne'er- do- wells intent on making a greater profit. ( continued by their descendants to this day in Bristol within the drugs trade ) with disastrous results, reversing the healing qualities which led to the great sewer explosion of old Glastonbury in 1746.

This story is as clear as mud to me?

Keep it coming!

Blog Entries

Adam de Gerston in the year 1198 was broke, his lust for wenches and the supping of much rum from the Indies left him destitute and his land containing all the Mud was sold to a Baron de Aspin, of Aspin Hall in Bolton. Baron Aspin saw the benefits of controlling the supply of Mud and allowed his brother, John de Aspin, a Master Brewer and one time Seafarer, on the Earl of Denby`s Estate, to use the Mud in his brews. It was used in brewing Brown ale, instead of using finings in the final stages of the brew. the Mud gave his brown ale the unmistakable flavour and brown colour of the Cambrinus Craft brew that was becoming famous throughout the Northern Shires.The Earl of Denby and all his heirs were all taken up with this particular brew and for the next five centuries they quaffed it daily. The present day Earl of Denby in 1642, feeling quite billious one day, was sat in his throne room musing of this and that and of many other things, when he thought Why should I be buying all this Mud for the brews off a woolly back Baron. There was a civil war on at the time so he decided that under the cover of the war he would invade Baron Aspin`s land in Bolton seize the deeds for the Garston Mud Land and then it would all be his to sell to the world and to all the Cistene Chapels and monastries around the Merside.
    Under cover of darkness he rode into Bolton on a beautiful white Stallion, and settled in the Ancient alehouse known as "Ye Old Man and Scythe", built in 1128, and still open to this very day in the 21st century, still a favourite haunt of the decendants of the First Baron de Aspin.
    The Earl of Denby thought he had cracked it, he was asking for directions to the Estate of Baron de Aspin, he told the assembled throng in the tap room, of the said alehouse, that he was a close friend of the Baron.
    Now these simple yokels , sometimes known as woolly backs, couldnt understand his Scouse accent and thought he was one of those Salientia Frogs. He was taken outside in shackles and a scaffold was hastily built and in front of a large crowd of Woollybacks, his head was removed from his body by a single blow of an axe.
    Then they all trooped back into the alehouse and celebrated by quaffing large quantities of Cambrinous Craft Brown Ale made by Baron de Aspin`s brother John de Aspin.
    When news of the execution of Denby reached the ears of Baron de Aspin he was much sorrowed. He decided to give the deeds of the Mud to his brother who owned the Cambrinous Craft Brewery on Denby`s land. John de Aspin , had to make peace with the heir of the Earl of Denby, the now Earl of Denby, and gave him the deeds of the Mud Land in Garston. the Earl of Denby was much moved by this gesture and allowed John de Aspin to remain with his Cambrinous Craft Brewery on his land in Perpetuety, rent free.
    Two years later after losing heavily on the horses at Aintree, Lord Denby as he was now called, was facing eviction from his land and had to sell the Deeds of the Mud back to the Baron de Aspin to save his estates.
    Last edited by captain kong; 01-20-2009 at 09:51 PM.

Blog Entries

And all you disbelievers thought this a tale of fiction! No my friends ,for I did with these very hands hold those brown and charred sheets that contain this tale of woe and lo! the names of many and various characters who people the pages of Yo! are to be found therein. My friend the author will read on but not yet anon. There are many hours to morning and we still have far to go. I see the light is still on in the room where our reader keeps his watch, be patient and wait awhile............

"Yon tale gets curiouser and curiouser" as Alice said !!!

Bob F

Blog Entries

It sure does Olly.

Blog Entries

Would that I had the words to express the sorrow that fills my heart.I have not had the strength ,nor inclination ,to put pen to paper since last I wrote.
    We were struck by a sudden squall and the repairs that we effected in the Baia de Sancho were near undone. Had it not been for the grace of God and our good Captain Aspinall, then all would have been lost. His strength and endeavour set the men to work beyond the endurance of common folk and we were made secure enough to continue our voyage to the Argentine. The damage is such that we mayhap will spend a lengthy sojourn in La Boca, this will perhaps allow me to further my story of our passage through the many years that make up the history of the Brotherhood.

The weather is calmed much these past few days and I write these words in the lee of the aftercastle by the light of my oil lamp. The gentle breeze makes the rigging sing a siren song and the hiss and sigh of waves as we glide through the wine dark sea brings comforting balm to my soul.
    That squall claimed the life of our young midshipman John Seddon. Just sixteen years of age ,a true lad of Garston stock ,he would have been initiated on the eve of his twenty first year.
    I look to the myriad stars above in the velvet black canopy and pray that he is amongst them ,at peace after the terrible calamity that befell him. Being a cousin of mine ,it will fall to me to relate the tale of his passing to his Mama.
    I will take me away to the solitude of my bunk and rest before my watch.

We have berthed in the shipyard of La Boca ,it is nightfall and I ,and one old able seaman from Larpool , Rocko Fairley are all that remain aboard.
    This is a dangerous place for Jack?Ashore ,the docks are lined three deep with merchantmen of every nation and the mean streets teem with all the scum that has been spewed ashore from the many vessels. Those lusty men who have been pent up these many months ,go rollicking and ranting , hellbent on spending their hard earned tin in the low dives that line the Calles and Avenidas.
    Most of our crew will make for the Liverpool Bar,so called after the new name for old Larpool;this is a dance hall come brothel and no Brother would cross its filthy threshold. But this was a place that was much frequented by our very own Captain Aspinall,this and the other pox ridden dive The Flags of all Nations Bar.
    There were many diversions to attract the carnally minded in this town and I prayed to heaven that we would leave this place with a crew unscathed .
    The bars that a man can lose himself to some awful fate are many and sundry,
    In the Calle Juan and the Calle Lavalle,the red light district that went by the nickname the "Streets of Blood and Tears",the men would go to sate their lusts and oft be relieved of all they possessed.
    My father related to me tales of this Hell on Earth and I have no taste for such nightmares, I will keep my body and my soul together with the help of my desire to complete my journal.

02.05 1898
    The morning was bright with sunshine and the air filled with sound of hammering and the clanking of chains, a concatenation of babbling voices fills my ears and I realise that work has commenced on our vessel. I am brought a steaming mug of Brazilian coffee,( a novelty after a diet of Mazawattee tea ),and refreshed enough to take stock of the morning .Mr Brewer ,the mate informs that the captain is not to be disturbed .He spent an energetic night at the German House and expended a small fortune on some ?Silent Pipers? . Heaven knows what else he was up to. Young Glasser, the captains tiger, has been taken by the Marineros and will be spending this day cleaning the stables at the police barracks.
    The Ordinary Seaman Paddy has not been seen since wandering off in the company of some whalermen so god wot this day will bring.

I hope that we have some mail whilst we are hear ,it would be good to hear from young Lindy Lou , or maybe Miss Lilac. God forbid that one should find out about the other,but what else can you expect from such entanglements.
    I must turn the men to their workings and myself to matters of shipwork

01.05 .1898.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by captain kong View Post
    Adam de Gerston in the year 1198 was broke, his lust for wenches and the supping of much rum from the Indies...
    I presume you mean the East Indies? Rum didn't exist in the West Indies until after Chris Columbus (from Aigburth I believe) carried sugar cane from the Canaries to Hispaniola, thereby starting off the sugar trade, then the rum trade, in the West Indies.

As sugar cane originated in Indonesia it is undoubtedly East Indian rum that Adam had a penchant for. Mind you, the fella must have gotten about a bit - rum was generally unknown in Europe until the 1200's so he must have had a secret stash!

Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast