YO! Liverpool
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: LIVERPOOL LIFE 1911-1914

Thanks

Smile LIVERPOOL LIFE 1911-1914

I wonder if anyone might be able to help me with sources of information on Liverpool life in general between 1911 and 1914. I am researching for a book which will be set in this time frame. I want to get as much information as possible on how a working class family might have lived. I also want to know what was going on in Liverpool during this period so that I can put the events of the book in the correct historical context. I would be grateful if anyone can recomend books (fact or fiction), websites, articles or whatever. I want to absorb as much information as possible about the city during this period. I'd be particularly be interested to know about the following:

Dock labourers' pay and conditions of employment
    How the system operated for dock workers. Were they hired by the day?
    How the overhead railway operated (how much was a ticket? Did they have inspectors? etc)
    What would be the diet of a working class family?
    Would a widow with 5 kids get any help from the state or otherwise?
    How did people end up in the workhouse and how could they get out of there?
    What did people do in the workhouse?
    Army recruitment in the city pre WW1. Circa 1912/13
    The tensions between catholic and protestants in the city during the 1911-1913 period. Netherfield Road riots?

I know there is a lot that I am searching for, but I'd be grateful for pointers where I can get this information. Perhaps someone knows a good bookshop where I can get local history books. Waterstones has only a very small selection.

ADVERTISING

Thanks in advance for any info you can give.

Thanks
    Blog Entries

In 1911 the police shot a man and the police station was besieged. Troops and armoured cars were on the streets.

Docker were hired for the ship, not the day.
    Conditions for dockers was non-existent. Health and Safety was virtually unheard of.

Lots of sites on the Overhead.

Sectarian tension around Scotland Rd was always there until WW2 when the communities were purposely moved.
    The new Amsterdam at Liverpool?
    Save Liverpool Docks and Waterways - Click

Deprived of its unique dockland waters Liverpool
    becomes a Venice without canals, just another city, no
    longer of special interest to anyone, least of all the
    tourist. Would we visit a modernised Venice of filled in
    canals to view its modern museum describing
    how it once was?

Giving Liverpool a full Metro - CLICK
    Rapid-transit rail: Everton, Liverpool & Arena - CLICK

Save Royal Iris - Sign Petition

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Cagsy View Post

I know there is a lot that I am searching for, but I'd be grateful for pointers where I can get this information. Perhaps someone knows a good bookshop where I can get local history books. Waterstones has only a very small selection.

Thanks in advance for any info you can give.
    If you live in Liverpool try the Liverpool Central Library. It will be packed with the information you want.

Also:
    Democracy and Sectarianism: Political and Social History of Liverpool,?

by P.J. Waller is a good read

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Waterways View Post

Sectarian tension around Scotland Rd was always there until WW2 when the communities were purposely moved.

Are you sure about that? they moved them because of sectarian tension?

I would think that statement is far from true.

Scottie road was famous for its friendliness and community spirit, Yes it had problems like any other area, no worse than any other had it. overcrowding and a little thing called The Mersey Tunnel took many people away from the area.

A lot of the families stayed in the area until the 1980s/90s when most of the tennement flats ( that they liked living in ) where knocked down. A lot of people who live in the area now have family history dating back over 100 years in the area. I guess they must have moved all the Sectarians out in WW2 or sent them to fight?

I find that statement unbelievable, did you even think before you wrote your reply?

Google Scotland Road and see the vast amount of detail that comes up all written by proud Scottie roaders. Salt of the earth people who took no messing but would do anything for you.

Maybe you think it must have been so sectarian as so many Irish lived there? I know they are one of your favourite races.

You should read the Scottie press web site, lots of people holding reunions and writing nice things about this violent area.

Spike-Son of a born and bred Scottie Roader, ancestor of over 160 years Scottie Road history of good old Irish Stock. and proud of it
    BE NICE......................OR ELSE

Thanks

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by Spike View Post
    Are you sure about that? they moved them because of sectarian tension?

I would think that statement is far from true.

Scottie road was famous for its friendliness and community spirit, Yes it had problems like any other area, no worse than any other had it. overcrowding and a little thing called The Mersey Tunnel took many people away from the area.

A lot of the families stayed in the area until the 1980s/90s when most of the tennement flats ( that they liked living in ) where knocked down. A lot of people who live in the area now have family history dating back over 100 years in the area. I guess they must have moved all the Sectarians out in WW2 or sent them to fight?

I find that statement unbelievable, did you even think before you wrote your reply?

Google Scotland Road and see the vast amount of detail that comes up all written by proud Scottie roaders. Salt of the earth people who took no messing but would do anything for you.

Maybe you think it must have been so sectarian as so many Irish lived there? I know they are one of your favourite races.

You should read the Scottie press web site, lots of people holding reunions and writing nice things about this violent area.

Spike-Son of a born and bred Scottie Roader, ancestor of over 160 years Scottie Road history of good old Irish Stock. and proud of it
    Please don't take the thread off topic. I just want a bit of help from fellow Scousers, or just anyone with an interest in our great city, to research 1911-1914 Liverpool. Any links, books or other info will be most welcome. Cheers, lads.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by taffy View Post
    If you live in Liverpool try the Liverpool Central Library. It will be packed with the information you want.

Also:
    Democracy and Sectarianism: Political and Social History of Liverpool,?

by P.J. Waller is a good read
    Thanks for the book lead. I'll look for a copy. And yes, the Central Library will be a great source.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast