Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Wavertree Vale pre demolition

Default Wavertree Vale pre demolition

I was hoping somebody somewhere may have any Pictures of this road or adjoining roads as it is where my Mum's parents lived and i remember going there a lot as a child in 60's &early 70's. My two Aunties lived in the next street too. There was a pub on both corners with prefabs opposite and shops along the main road including a chippy. My Nan's house was the first one next to the pub and she used to clean in there.
    I understand it was demolished quite a few years ago, sadly.
    I am getting my Mum a book about Liverpool as she enjoyed looking through the books on st helens I have (we moved there when i was 8 so remember the town as it was at that time)

Any help is much appreciated. i really enjoy looking at the inacityliving website but there are only few pics of the High street of wavertree.
    Thanks

Hello Steffy.

Glad you liked my site, Wavertree is clearly a district i'll have to concentrate a bit more on

Have you seen the Wavertree Historic Society run by my good friends Bob and Mike.

Introducing the Wavertree Society, Liverpool

You'll also find Mike's book advertised on there.

Liverpool record office search room will also offer you a plethora of brilliant photographs from their archives if ever you can get down there.

There is at least one 1949 photograph, ask for the ENG number and there's also a book with the street listings:

Liverpool Record Office: Online Catalogue')

Click on this page to see No5 Picton road and the leigh Arms pub, click on the picture to make it bigger.

Liverpool Record Office: Online Catalogue

I spent a good few weeks of my babyhood in Olive Mount hospital with what was then a life threatening gastro enteritis.

Here's Philips Butchers in 1950 on the corner of Picton Road and Carno st, just 5 or 6 streets along from Wavertree Vale.

Last edited by Ged; 12-11-2008 at 04:16 PM.
    www.inacityliving.piczo.com/

Updated weekly with old and new pics.

Thanks Ged for all the information. ..
    I will scour my local Book Shop also.
    Both my parents and their brothers and sisters lived in Liverpool (my dad in Huyton) so I have memories of all the different areas . My Uncle lived in Myrtle Gardens before they got demolished.

Default Wavertree Vale

I have a picture of part of Wavertree Vale as it was in about 1971. I don't know how to attach it here but can send it to an email address.

The 'Boss' lived in Wavertree Vale when I first met her.The Belle Vue,her dad's watering hole,was on the corner and the Ash Grove in the next street.

my dad lived in Wavertree Vale when he was a nipper.
    I remember the last of the big houses burning down there when I was kid.

we ended up living in Ash Grove then after I married I was in Ash Close which ran into what was the Vale.

The Belle Vue was next door to us and kids in the beer garden used to throw stuff at the dog in the garden.

one day hubby was going to the shop and had just walked past the side entrance to the pub when a bar stool came crashing through a window behind him!

after several unsavoury incindents (including a shotgun attack) it was closed.
    Proud Scouser, with a dabbling of Welsh and Irish.

bore yourself silly at my Flickr page...anorak central!

here's Tony's fabulous pic.

the bell tower in background is Lawrence Rd School. I went to infants and juniors there.
    the junction in background is Grosvenor Rd, just a few houses to right along Grosvenor from here was where my gt grandma lived.

thanks for the photo Tony. Brought back oodles of memories for me.
    Proud Scouser, with a dabbling of Welsh and Irish.

bore yourself silly at my Flickr page...anorak central!

Hi, Thanks to all of you for the info. My nans house was the second one next to the pub not the first.(My mum put me right) My Aunties both lived in Macdonald Street and emigrated to Australia. They were both Mrs Robinson coz they married brothers. My mum's name was Murphy.

There are pictures in the book from the Wavertree society that depict both Wavertree Vale and Macdonald street. (from early part of the century) I have a black and white pic of me when I was 2 standing on my Auntie's step and it is the excat same viewpoint as the pic in the book. Really weird.

I remember being sent out the entry to go and get some fish and chips from the chippy and having to suffer the spiders in the outside lav.

Default my old stopming ground!

Quote Originally Posted by quincyg View Post

the bell tower in background is Lawrence Rd School. I went to infants and juniors there.
    the junction in background is Grosvenor Rd, just a few houses to right along Grosvenor from here was where my gt grandma lived.

I lived in the house on the corner or Grosvenor road and Cretan road ( # 52 Grosvenor road, the corner house shown in your picture) for about 20years before emigrating to Canada in 1976. Thanks for the picture and the great memories!

My dad lived in Kellett Road off Lawrence Road, Wavertree

Isn't that great Dave, you seeing that, welcome by the way, share some of those memories.

Question mr steve parkins

i think thispicture is great i believe it is bishopgate street,i was brought up in ono st and my gran used to live in grosvenor road.does anybody have any pictures of the following,ono st nebo st abbysinia st,or any memories of the area.

Question

i think thispicture is great i believe it is bishopgate street,i was brought up in ono st and my gran used to live in grosvenor road.does anybody have any pictures of the following,ono st nebo st abbysinia st,or any memories of the area.

I will see if there are any next time i'm in the LRO.

15-41 Nebo Street. Sorry the other streets you mentioned weren't there stepak.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast