Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: CoC Closing Ceremony

Default CoC Closing Ceremony

If any fancies watching the Grand Finale to the year (inc fireworks)from the river Mersey Ferries are offering an evening cruise lasting approx 1hr 30 minutes. The cost is ?10. Tel 330 1444. There should be announcements as to exactly what will be happening on 10 th January 2009 shortly.

Munchkim

Blog Entries

That sounds great, cheers
    Become A Supporter 👇

Donate Via PayPal

Donate

Might take a trip on the ferry myself

Sold out now I believe.

Blog Entries

Default How Liverpool will bid a fond farewell to 2008

A CULTURAL extravaganza is being planned for the night Liverpool bids farewell to its showcase 2008 year. It will start with a free waterfront party at the Pier Head featuring spectacular lighting, big-screen productions, and fireworks from a barge on the Mersey.

The city?s cultural institutions have joined together to hold a series of late-night openings as part of the Transition Light Night.

The special evening will be on Saturday, January 10, a year to the day the city officially launched its showcase year, and will mark the transition to 09 ? Liverpool?s Year of the Environment.

Last night, Liverpool Council leader Cllr Warren Bradley said: ?What better way to celebrate the city?s transition from 08 than to begin with a party at the waterfront where so much of this city?s story began.?

An hour-long ?People?s Celebration? at the Pier Head will start at 6pm and use the ?100m of regeneration projects at the waterfront location as a theme.

The gigantic waterfront window of the new Museum of Liverpool, currently under construction, will be used as a 27ft by 80ft cinema screen.

A film review of Capital of Culture year will be shown, with smaller screens also being placed on the new Mersey Ferry terminal, also under construction, and the Echo Arena.

There will also be a lantern installation on the new Leeds-Liverpool Canal link, an arts and crafts market at Mann Island and drum and dance performances.

A ceremonial handover to the cities of Linz, in Austria, and Vilnius, in Lithuania ? the European Capitals of Culture for 2009 ? will take place.

And representatives from London Olympics 2012 will be present to launch Britain?s Cultural Olympiad.

Before the firework finale, it is hoped there will be a mass singalong on the city?s adopted anthem to the year, All Together Now.

The Culture Company is encouraging people to visit one of the city?s cultural attractions, which have agreed to open late into the evening.

Cllr Bradley said: ?2008 was a life- changing year for this city and we want to say thank you to everyone who played their part ? and in Liverpool?s case that means everyone.?

Phil Redmond, the Culture Company creative director, said: ?To have so many cultural partners involved in the Transition Light Night is a powerful demonstration that the team spirit that made last year so successful is continuing, as we make the transition from our year as Europe?s best ever Cultural Capital to the next stage in the city?s renaissance.?

The Strand will be closed from 4pm to 8pm, with visitors being encouraged to use public transport.

davidbartlett LDP
    Become A Supporter 👇

Donate Via PayPal

Donate

It's a shame we didn't even get a low budget new year celebration for this but will be something to look forward too.
    Gididi Gididi Goo.

I cant believe the year has been and gone so soon.
    To the world you might be one person, but to one person you might be the world.

The Arena was 1 yesterday.
    www.inacityliving.piczo.com/

Updated weekly with old and new pics.

Thought I`d see if the new windows would be alright as a screen for saturday so I took a reflection of the Port buildings in it today.

Are the going to put floating lanterns on the canal ? because it`s iced over at the moment with rubbish set in it
    THE BEST VITAMIN FOR MAKING FRIENDS ? B.1

My Flickr site: www.flickr.com/photos/exacta2a/

http://flickrhivemind.net/User/exacta2a

Saw Captain Walker overseeing the preparations for the closure of CoC today
    at the pierhead must be going to be noisy by the banks of speakers laying around

Default Have you got the right time please

One of the fingers on the clocks is faster than the other, or slower
    Oh as I was young and easy in the mercy of his means,
    Time held me green and dying
    Though I sang in my chains like the sea.

Dylan Thomas

[IMG][/IMG]
    I thought this was a lot of homing pigeon crates at the Pierhead but they are banks of amplifiers for saturday,earplugs will be worn

I'm really hoping that the ceremony will be televised. Even the highlights would be good!
    There is more power in the open hand than the clenched fist

Quote Originally Posted by gregs dad View Post
    [IMG][/IMG]
    I thought this was a lot of homing pigeon crates at the Pierhead but they are banks of amplifiers for saturday,earplugs will be worn
    I pity the events organiser who start the show only for the 12 bells at St Nicholas to start ringing tomorrow night. I shall be watching from the tower!!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast