Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Ships'n'Sailors

Blog Entries

Hi chaps,
    Not that I think you'll miss me or anything, but off to Brittany tomorrow (if I ever get the car and roofbox loaded) so won't be posting for a couple of weeks.
    Adieu,
    Kevin

Have a nice time
    Oh as I was young and easy in the mercy of his means,
    Time held me green and dying
    Though I sang in my chains like the sea.

Dylan Thomas

Blog Entries

Back again. Rather wet and I've now got gills behaind my ears and webs between my fingers and toes.
    Going MUCH further south next year!

Blog Entries

Is it me or does anyone else seem to think all the sailors have gone AWOL.?
    I have'nt been too active of late because I have been having setbacks in my recovery (consultant said I had to have another op) so I have not been feeling too bright.But, I miss the banter that usually takes place here. I am awaiting the next chapter of Far Kinnell and look forward to some more cyber duelling between Cap'n Kong and his arch nemesis The Glasser!
    I'll just have a stroll round the poop deck,might bump into someone we know...........see you at No 5 hatch later,
    BrianD

They'll all be 'tucked-up' in their hammocks by now Brian! where you should be at this time -o-day! OK for me , my days is only just started!!!Cheers , and look after yourself!

Blog Entries

Hi Brian, where did you go when you were at sea? Did you have a regular run or wherever you were sent? Where was the place you used to look forward to?

Blog Entries

Hi Brian, Been busy in and out of hospital. I have to have an Op. on the 1st of October for the shoulder injury caused by the attack by the Big Bull Sea Elephant when I was on the Antarctic continent in March.
    The bones have now healed and I now have to have the ligaments and tendons stitched.
    All that because I got too near his cows, surely he didnt think I could fancy one of those, they stink something `orrible, a bit like Port Boat Mary in Sydney. I was hoping to go back to South Georgia in October when the season opens again to help with the salvage of the old Hull trawler that was abandoned there, a five month trip. but the injuries prevent me from going,.
    I had a chat with the Glasse when I was at the Vindi re union, and so when he gets over the writers cramp I will have to have him destroyed again.
    -----------------
    Here is a Pathe News link, it may bring back some memories to anyone who did the Cape run, it is the `Windsor Castle` built in Lairds, Birkenhead.
    also a few other ships. it is silent but very interesting
    Click on the Icon for FULL SCREEN much beter to watch!
    http://www.britishpathe.com/record.php?id=74945
    Last edited by captain kong; 08-24-2009 at 09:37 PM.

Hi BrianD Think you should get back asap, Captian Kong is out of control.
    Reg
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Mail Bantria0024.JPG 
Views:	168 
Size:	136.3 KB 
ID:	11018  
    thaithyme

Blog Entries

I came across this in one of my old books, a patriotic poster from WW11. Seamen were wanted in those days..................if only........,well we can dream can't we?

Name:	M.N. (Medium).jpg 
Views:	164 
Size:	32.1 KB 
ID:	11377  

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by brian daley View Post
    I came across this in one of my old books, a patriotic poster from WW11. Seamen were wanted in those days..................if only........,well we can dream can't we?
    And their pay stopped when their feet hit the water. What price heroism.

Blog Entries

HENRY LARSEN  
    QUEST TV(Channel 38 Freeview) and SKY TV Channel 167
    Mighty Ships Henry Larson

The Henry Larsen is one of the Canadian Coast Guard's icebreakers; join her as she sets sail for a seven-day mission to patrol the treacherous North Atlantic.

Tues 3rd Nov. @2100
    Weds.4th Nov. @1400 and 2200

Blog Entries

That was a good one, Larson cracking ice off the coast of Newfoundland, reminded me of the Canadian Pacific and Manchester Liner days.

On again at 10pm tonight.Wednesday

Blog Entries

Thanks Captain.

Blog Entries

Today, Sunday 13 December, 2009 is the 56th anniversary of my shipmate, Ken Hignett`s death. same day and date, 1953. I have just had a few Rums as I always do on this date, a drink to his memory.
    Ken was 20 years old, he lived at Number 1, Mill Cottage, Mill Road, Birkenhead. We had arrived in East London in the Eastern Cape in South Africa the day before.
    The Seamans Mission had a picnic arranged for us off the New Zealand Star and a coach complete with some lovely Mission girls and a hamper of food took us to Bonza Bay about 15 miles up the coast.
    We went into the sea for a swim before the food was served. Ken couldnt swim and soon got into difficulties, he shouted to me to help him, he was just waist deep. I stood next to him and held his arm and tried to walk up the beach. A large wave hit us and when we surfaced we could not touch the bottom and then we were swept by a fast current out to sea. I shouted to another mate, Ronnie Vickers, of Cromwell Road, Birkenhead to go and get some help from the beach.
    Meawhile the tide took us out beyond the surf, huge waves battered us swirling us around under water. after what seemed an eternety, I lost Ken, I couldnt find him, another lad turned up to help, Mo Riley, Ronnie must have got the message to the beach. then I saw Mo with Ken and then he was gone, Mo said he thought Ken was dead then and he lost his body.
    I became unconcious and it all went black, meanwhile a South African lad swam out and rescued me with a 800 metre reel of rope and I was towed back to the beach. and taken to hospital.to be resuscitated. Meanwhile the South African lad, David Brinton, swam back out and rescued Mo Riley.
    A very brave lad.
    Ken was washed up the following Friday and buried by the Mission in the East Cemetery in East London.
    In 2001 I went to South Africa and to East London and found Ken`s grave, and laid a Merchant Navy wreath on it. In 2002 I appeared on the TV show with Esther Rantzen and she introduced me to David Brinton who had saved my life and also Mo Rileys life, a fantastic experience to be able to thank the man for giving my life back.
    Every year on this date I always phone him and sometimes go to see him on this anniversary. Thanks David.

the rescue.

Name:	BONZA BAY.jpg 
Views:	187 
Size:	255.5 KB 
ID:	11932  

Blog Entries

Good story Captain. What a sad ending.

Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast