Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Vatican forgives John Lennon

I believe that John Lennon's comment was taken out of context in the USA. If I can believe what I've read about it and what I've been told, it didn't cause an uproar here at the time. I am a huge fan of the Beatles and I don't think that his comment should have caused such a furore. He was known for speaking his mind and making throwaway comments.

There is more power in the open hand than the clenched fist

Default To Mark R.

Hello Mark. I know that you didn't say that it was all priests. I just wanted to make that point as there are just so many comments flying around about priests being paedophiles. I would be the first person to call for priests who are guilty of child abuse to be imprisoned for a very long time and thrown out of the priesthood. I just don't want people to think that such behaviour is the norm.

I regularly play the organ at a church whose priest was wrongly accused of sexual crimes against children. He was suspended for two years pending investigation. He had to attend court on more than one occasion and then the person withdrew the allegations. He's been reinstated now but he suffered terribly. He's a decent man who has done a lot of good for the poor and needy, so I just wanted to set the record straight.

Quote Originally Posted by LondonBeatlesFan View Post
    Hello Mark. I know that you didn't say that it was all priests. I just wanted to make that point as there are just so many comments flying around about priests being paedophiles. I would be the first person to call for priests who are guilty of child abuse to be imprisoned for a very long time and thrown out of the priesthood. I just don't want people to think that such behaviour is the norm.

I regularly play the organ at a church whose priest was wrongly accused of sexual crimes against children. He was suspended for two years pending investigation. He had to attend court on more than one occasion and then the person withdrew the allegations. He's been reinstated now but he suffered terribly. He's a decent man who has done a lot of good for the poor and needy, so I just wanted to set the record straight.
    Hi LBF. I can understand your concern. Don't get me wrong, even though I have no religious beliefs I don't like to hear (or read) of things like the priest you mention (him being innocent and that). I'm glad to hear that he was reinstated.

Regards

Mark
    It is Accomplished

Default Let it be.

Well the thing about all this is much the same as some of the other stuff flying about. John is not here to defend himself. What forgiving him is about is beyond me. I think that during this year of culture the secular status of scousers should be respected. You do not have to belong or identify with any religion. Modern society allows for that. London Beatles fan has the right to point out an injustice. Mark is I think echoing the misgivings quite a few of us have about religion. We all have opinions and like I said our John is not here to put his over.
    Oh as I was young and easy in the mercy of his means,
    Time held me green and dying
    Though I sang in my chains like the sea.

Dylan Thomas

Thank you, Mark.

The vatican never protested about him at the time so I don't see there's anything to forgive anyway.

It was the bible belt southern states of America that burnt the records and even the kkk got in on the act. Ringo said let them burn them, they have to buy them first to do that - one of his more sensible quotes I might add.

Brian Epstein made him say it was wrong at the press conference because they had a U.S. tour coming up. You could tell he hated saying that, he even backtracks that he's saying he was wrong at one point.
    www.inacityliving.piczo.com/

Updated weekly with old and new pics.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12