Page 5 of 13 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Ships and the Sea

Blog Entries

Default QE2, QM2 QV PROFILES. VERY INTERESTING

http://beyondships.com/QM2-refit-1.html
    HIT THE LINK

Default first to make a shipboard landing.

1911: Aviator lands on ship
    Aviator Eugene B. Ely landed his aircraft on the deck of the USS Pennsylvania today, becoming the first to make a shipboard landing."When Ely touched the deck he was going about 35 miles an hour, but so gradually was the speed checked by the dragging of weighted ropes, as they were caught in succession, that he came to a standstill without disarranging any part of the machine," reported the Warren Evening Mirror on January 19, 1911. NOTE: Just two months earlier, Ely had also become the first to take off from a ship's platform. Both flights were done to explore possible uses of aviation within the Navy.
    Acknowledgement newspaper Archives
    Reg
    thaithyme

Blog Entries

Default vindicatrix

For those readers who do not know what the Training ship Vindicatrix is or was, here is a short history of the ship. We now have a `TS VINDICATRIX ASSOCIATIOON` and we meet up in Sharpness Gloucestershire every August for the Re-union. On average there is usually around 800 men turn up from around the world and spend the weekend swinging the lamp, getting bevied, and generally enjoying ourselves. It was formed in 1993 100 years after she was built as the Arranmore, She was a full rigged three masted ship.As the Vindicatrix these masts were cut down in size, she was moored in the Sharpness - Gloucester Canal.
    Vindi is short for Vindicatrix, or more precisely, the TS Vindicatrix and its Associations. The members of the Association are mostly British ex merchant seaman who, between September 1939 and December 1966, undertook training at the National Sea Training School in Sharpness, Gloucestershire on the TS Vindicatrix. It is widely believed that there were approximately 70,000 boys aged 15 and 16 who passed through this training school. Those who survived World War II and those who came after have now formed a number of Associations around the world, the purpose of which is to rekindle memories and re-establish friendships forged by those who attended the TS Vindicatrix and who are affectionately known world-wide as the "Vindi Boys".

Vindi, is the abbreviated name of the Training Ship Vindicatrix, the hulk of a once proud sailing ship called Arranmore. Built of steel, with iron rivets, and with a displacement of 1946 tons, Arranmore sailed on her maiden voyage on October 30, 1893, a voyage that would eventually take eighteen months, round the Horn to Frisco Bay. On one voyage she was dismasted off the Horn and had to make her way back to the Falkland Islands for repair. In 1903 she was anchored in Algoa Bay, near Port Elizabeth, South Afric a, and during a great storm a Steam ship dragged anchor and collided with Arranmore ripping off her bow sprit and figure head, known as Mrs Drysdale, the owners wife, the Figurehead landed on the deck of the steamer, then the Arranmore sank. She was later refloated and patched up and then began the longest tow in history at that time. She was towed over 7000 miles to Scotland where she was built and rerigged and put to sea again. On August 11 1909 Arranmore sailed from Mejillones Chile, to Falmouth in the UK, rounding the Horn for the last time under the Red Ensign.

Purchased by German owners in late December 1909, she was renamed Waltraute.
    Sustaining heavy damage during a storm on July 20, 1913 Waltraute was eventually towed into Montevideo Harbour by an Argentine fishing boat known simply as No. 10. That was the last time that Waltraute would ever carry sail, and she completed her voyage to Germany under the tow of the Dutch tug Thames in 1913.

During WWI Waltraute was commandeered by the Imperial German Navy and after initial use as a store-room she was refitted with an overdeck from forecastle to poop, and a boiler for heating purposes. Waltraute was now ready for her next role as depot ship for the Submarine Training Service. At the end of hostilities Waltraube was initially returned to her former German owners but it wasn't very long before she was commandeered once more to become accommodation for German Seamen in Leith Scotland, after having delivered their ships to England in reparation for wartime losses. On 15, November 1920 while at anchor in Leith, Waltraute was again hit by a severe storm causing her to drag her anchors. At 1.30pm after repeated requests for tugs to assist, Waltraute came into contact with Inchkeith Rocks, and by 10.00pm the ship lay aground, with waves rolling over her decks. Waltraute was eventually pulled off the rocks on November 29, 1920. On June 2 1921 Waltraute entered West India Docks.
    It is known that in 1926 Waltraute, now renamed Vindicatrix, accommodated students and staff of the Gravesend Sea School. With another war looking more and more likely, Vindicatrix, under

tow of the tug Kenia, left London, bound for a safer berth at Sharpness, Gloucestershire, and on September 2, 1939, the day before war was declared on Germany, Captain Superintendent Duguid of the Gravesend Sea Training School, transferred his trainees and staff from Gravesend to the new location in the canal at Sharpness.
    Junior seamen continued to be trained at the Vindicatrix throughout the war and when the school at Gravesend was reopened after cessation of hostilities, both schools were required to remain in operation as so many new seamen were required.
    One of the greatest moments of her being a Training Ship at Sharpness was when Captain Kong was sent there to train as a Seaman, He ended up as Bosun of the Vindicatrix. from March 17 to June 6 1952.

In January 1967, the Vindicatrix was towed to Cashmore's Yard, Newport, Gwent in Wales to be broken up for scrap. She was sold for a mere ?2,500
    An American ex Vindi boy flew over to try to save her but the demolishion had already started

With thanks to `ALL AT SEA` site, hope you don?t mind, I have also added some of my comments in with it..

Blog Entries

Great introduction to the vindicatrix there Brian, I am sure that some of the good people out there know what a Vindi Boy is now. A lot of us had our lives changed once we had passed through those gates at Sharpness; boys from every walk of life were taken in and moulded into something better than they were. The weak fell by the wayside and those who were imbued with the spirit to succeed went on to see the world. As you can see from the photo,I have always had a place in my heart for Mrs Drysdale,may she live for ever.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2009_0305Faces0013 (Medium).JPG 
Views:	257 
Size:	49.2 KB 
ID:	9162  

Blog Entries

Ay, as a New Boy we had to hang upside down over the bow of the ship and stroke Mrs Drysdale`s bosoms, nine out of ten Boys slid overboard and fell into the Canal. Happy Days

Blog Entries

56 Years ago today, the ferry Princess Victoria sailed from Stranrare for Larne in N.I. In a short time the wind and sea got up and eventually it was hurricane force blowing down throuigh the North Channel, the same storm that flooded south east England killing over 500 people and thousands in Holland., The sea stove in the stern doors and she took water on the cardecks, the free surface effect gave her a ever increasing list The Maydays went out, the Sparky died at his Post and was awarded a posthumous GEORGE MEDAL, Unknown to the rescue services she was blown over 30 miles south of her reported position No one was able to find her. 133 passengers and crew died, all women and children died.
    The wind was reported to have gusted up to 120 mph,
    I was on an Everard tanker, Amity, we had sailed from Heysham for Belfast early that Saturday morning.
    I was on the wheel just before noon when I heard the Skipper talking to Portpatrick Radio,they wanted all ships to proceed to the area. We were being smashed around in some of the most horrendous seas I have ever seen in 50 years of seafaring.we were like a submarine.we could not make much head way against those seas and wind. I remember us being in touch with the Pass of Drumochter, another small tanker and Donoghadee. By the time we got off the Copelands it was dark and no sign of anything except a screaming gale and heavy seas. We searched around not knowing where to look , until Sunday morning we then crept into Befast Lough, the saddest thing I saw was HMS Consort and the minesweeper, HMS Woodbridge Haven . They were overtaking us quite close, with the dead bodies lain on their quarter decks.
    The Princess Victoria had drifted 30 miles to the south that is why no one could find her. The strange thing was, she was never out of sight of land in all that time.
    Last edited by captain kong; 01-31-2009 at 03:09 PM.

Hi Brian.
    I remember that day like yesterday. My father and I had been by the radio most of the night waiting for reports on the ferry Princess Victoria , Think we first new something was wrong late on Friday night. The wind and snow was bitterly cold and got worse on Saturday, We lived in Bangor, County Down . Went down to catch the train to Belfast to go to work at H&W Docks ( 48 hour week then , and worked 4 hours on Sat morning) But never got down to the station "Just could not walk in the wiind"
    We knew the Princess was in danger of sinking by the reports we were getting, My father was very upset as the Radio Officer on board was his friend,I too had a Friend as a passenger comming home from Scotland.
    During the morning the Radio said she was out of site and to expect the worst!. Soon after she had been sighted off the coast, then that she had sunk and passengers and crew were adrift in the sea at a point north of Bangor. We went down to Donaghdee to try and help with the Life Boats
    The Sea was so rough that they could not get them into the sea as it was pounding the shed's door's, when they got some out they were sweept ashore
    one or two did get away, dont know if they reached the area?.
    Next day there were reports of bodies along the coast line.
    Then we recieved information on Monday that my Father's friend the Radio Operator and my old school friend had both lost there lives at sea.
    From that day I always hold the greatest respect for the men of the Merchant Navy!
    Reg.
    thaithyme

Blog Entries

I believe the Radio Officer`s George Medal is in the Stranraer Museum.

A very tragic day.

Blog Entries

Default The Chuscal

This was taken in October '61,recognise anyone among the crowd?
    The Chippy is on the left,the deck boy is in the middle ,to his left is the Lampy and all the rest are engine room crew.
    I took the picture so don't go looking for me!
    BrianD
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	This is the Chuscal Chippy on the left with deck and engine crowd 1961.jpg 
Views:	303 
Size:	162.8 KB 
ID:	9242  
    Last edited by brian daley; 02-03-2009 at 07:17 PM.

Default Pool Fisher

Captain Kong,
    I'm a newcomer to this site, and I have just read your account of the sinking of the Pool Fisher.
    I have wondered for years what happened to that ship, because the bosun on her, Terry Morgan from Seacombe was a friend of mine.
    I sailed with Terry on Blue Flue's Memnon in 1960, he was AB, and I was JOS. I found him to be a fine seaman and generous shipmate, who taught me an awful lot about seamanship.
    I doubt if Terry would neglect in any way the battening down procedure, he was too good a sailor.
    I had heard from others that Terry was on the wheel when Pool Fisher foundered and that he went below to rouse the crew and get them out on deck, and that he had never made it back onto the deck.
    This would be typically brave and unselfish of the man. He was a great bloke.
    Best Regards.
    Backsplice.

Blog Entries

Hi Backslice,
    , welcome to the site, hope you enjoy some of the yarns.
    Yes the Pool Fisher disaster was terrible.
    I met Mrs Morgan at the inquest in Gosport and had a drink with her and some of the other widows and the two lads who survived. It was she who told me that the ship owner, J.Fishers of Barrow, did not help them with fares and hotels in Gosport where they were ordered to attend the Inquest. She said they got to the Station in Gosport in the dark at night with no where to stay, they were wandering around in this strange town not knowing what to do. Their treatment was terrible. Understandably they were very upset, and it did affect me for a long time. I really did have nightmares reoccuring for a long time after.
    The lads who survived, Don Crane and Mark Fooks, shared a cabin and were turned in when she started to go under. Terry Morgan went down to their cabin and woke them up and told them to get out quick as she was going down. He had his life jacket on. He was with them as they made their way to the outside then as they were washed out they didnt see him again.
    Maybe he was trapped as she rolled over and he would have been unable to get out. Brave lad, he could have stayed on deck and saved himself.
    If there is anything else I can help you with let me know.
    Cheers.
    Brian.
    I was A.B. in Blue Flu in 1960.on the Euryades, then walked off the Melampus just going on her maiden voyage, for the Seamen Strike, then sacked from Blueys.
    Last edited by captain kong; 02-06-2009 at 09:52 PM.

Blog Entries

Hi Backsplice, may I offer you a very warm welcome to the Liverpool Sailors thread.
    I started my sea going career with Blue Flu and was there for about 18 months from Dec '58 to the Seamans stike in 1960. I am very glad I sailed with them for that short period,it gave a good grounding in deck work.
    I laft the Merch ten year to the month that I joined it and look back on those years as being a very colourful period of my life. Come aboard and tell us your tales,you'll find a very willing audience,
    BrianD
    (Cousin of BillyD)

Blog Entries

Hi Backsplice
    I was thinking back,
    I believe he cleats on the hatch combings were in a bad way and needed repair, the wedges must have kept coming out.and maybe there were not enough locking bars to adequetly cover the hatch.
    I believe she was due to go for repairs for this The tarporlins were supposed to have come adrift a couple of times coming across the North Sea, and the lads had to batten down again.
    Again maybe the shipowners think about money, and then at the end the Mate and Master got the blame.
    I know there was a lot of talk at the time of the Inquiry that it was wrong to blame the Mate and Master.Tho` ultimately they are responsible for the safety of the ship you still need co-operation from the shipowner.

Quote Originally Posted by brian daley View Post
    Hi Backsplice, may I offer you a very warm welcome to the Liverpool Sailors thread.
    I started my sea going career with Blue Flu and was there for about 18 months from Dec '58 to the Seamans stike in 1960. I am very glad I sailed with them for that short period,it gave a good grounding in deck work.
    I laft the Merch ten year to the month that I joined it and look back on those years as being a very colourful period of my life. Come aboard and tell us your tales,you'll find a very willing audience,
    BrianD
    (Cousin of BillyD)
    Brian,
    We must have been close contemporaries then, because I sailed on my first trip as a deck boy in the Achilles, left Birkenhead on Dec 24th 1958. I stayed in Blue funnel until I was AB then went to the pool.
    My first few ships were Achilles, Peleus , Eumaeus, Hector, Menelaus.
    Best regards,
    Pat

Blog Entries

Backsplice ,Wow, My first trip was on the Eumaeus,coastal signed on on the 18/12/58 .signed off on 27/12/58,joined the Jason 29/12 /58 left17/4 59 coastedon her 23/4/59 until 10/5 /59 and then went on her again 19/5/59 until 28/8/59
    joined the Machaon 15/9/59 laft 17/1/60,coasted the Anchises 2/2/60 until 21/2/60 and did my final Bluey ,the Antenor, from 3/3/60 until 15/6/60. Collectively ,they were the best days of my seagoing life.
    We may have had mutual acquantances aboard our various vessels,i look forward to reading more from you,
    BrianD

Page 5 of 13 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast