Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Welcome to your new berth,Cracker Hash,

Blog Entries

Default Welcome to your new berth,Cracker Hash,

I'd like to begin the opening of this new "home",by offering a big thank you to Kev Keegan;he has given us the opportunity to stay together as a crew. Your stories will be read by the many people who are on Yo as well as by ourselves. So just think of the ladies who might be looking in and spare them their blushes ,but otherwise boys,let's get this craft shipshape and get the sails filled with wind and the boilers full of hot air

Blog Entries

Well it has been a quiet start but I guess as word gets around the posts will come dribbling in, it is the end of the first watch for me,so get yours fingers out boys and start hitting the keyboards, I'm off to bedfordshire now ,g'night,
    BrianD

Hi BrianD.
    Looks good, great to see your name. Will be flying to Australia latter to-day, then back Home.
    Reg.

Thumbs up

Thanks for getting us started off again Brian D

Cheers Bob F

Blog Entries

Welcome back boys,I bet the other scallys are still in the pub,Ibet they're waiting 'til we've got her ready and then they'll all roll aboard half cut. Ah ,well nothing changes. See you later,
    BrianD

Blog Entries

Been in my scratcher all night and had the luxury of a lie-in this morning, so only just seen Brian's email about our new berth. Many thanks to Brian for arranging it, and to Kev for facilitating it.
    Cheers,
    Kevin

oo-arrr.
    www.inacityliving.piczo.com/

Updated weekly with old and new pics.

Default batman has arrived

Thanks to all concerned.
    We shall not be moved.
    Ron

Blog Entries

Ged My Lad, we'm be alookin' fer a galley boy oo'd be takin' care of the old salt's needs so to speak. Like to cumon board boy? Plenty of room in the barrell,oo arrrr!!

Blog Entries

I've posted this elsewhere, but might as well add it here.

There's a reunion of ex-Harrison Line personnel at the Crown on Lime St - from 2.30 on Friday 28th November. It mostly appears to be engineers and electricians, but I'm sure all would be welcome.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Ged View Post
    oo-arrr.

Ged,
    You'll probably recognise mine and Brian's names, but the rest starting to appear are fellow refugees from a recently defunct sailor's forum - now here on Yo to recount tales of yore!

Acapulco Mon Braves! Tis I, Novena's Alter Ego. Had to change my name because it was already taken, more than likely by me when I visited this site a while ago.
    Anyhoo, great to be with the usual crowd again.

Tabnab

Blog Entries

'Ere y'are,I told you did'nt I,in walks,no ,staggers in, Fred,bottle of red biddy sticking out of pocket and calling himself Tabnab. Well at least 'e's on board. Now wheres Alehouse and Samsette? Most probably proppin' up a pub doorway somewhere on the dock road. Give 'em blast on the whistle,it's near story tellin' time !! 'Ow about startin'us off with an update of Novena Fred? New readers be warned ,you may choke with laughter!!

Yar did well to press gang them.

Was it one over the ead after leaving yateseys?
    www.inacityliving.piczo.com/

Updated weekly with old and new pics.

Blog Entries

I have had a great day today,I went out to do a survey on a silversmiths workshop in the jewellery quarter in Birmingham. The man was a real artisan,and he was also a fount of maritime history! When I had concluded my survey ,he made a cup of coffee for us both and confessed that the insurance broker who had advised him to call me ,had also told him that I was a ringer for Captain Birdseye and an ex-mariner to boot.Whilst we were sitting having our coffee he reached down from the shelf above the desk,a large ledger type book .When he opened it up I saw that it was filled with the end of voyage reports of a number of vessels that had sailed out of Goole in the 19th century. They were photocopies of the originals and contained the reports on all of the crew members and incidents that had occurred during the voyage. The vessels concerned were mainly sloops and schooners plying the home trade but there were a few steamships. The reason he had all the papers was because they mentioned his ancestors,great grandfathers ,great uncles,grandfathers and grand uncles. One golden nugget retrieved from my perusal was the unusual story of a father and son who sailed together ,the father as master of various sloops and schooners and the son as deckboy and seaman as the years passed by.When steamships started to be used by the some of the Goole companys' the youth left his fathers command and worked his way through the ranks on the steamships ,becoming a master in 1876, at the age of 24,whence his father left the sailing ships and became a lamptrimmer under his sons command. My friend the silversmith is in the process of compiling a family history of the ancient mariners ,which I am sure will be of great interest to those who love stories of ships and the men who sailed in them. He also gave to me the journal of a Mormon passenger who voyaged from Liverpool to America in 1853, it is a wonderful piece and I will scan it and post it here as soon as I am able.
    BrianD

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast