Thread: Liverpool street lighting

Blog Entries

Default Liverpool street lighting

Nov 14 2008 by Marc Waddington, Liverpool Echo

ONE million pounds is to be spent on extra Liverpool street lighting in a bid to cut down on crime and antisocial behaviour.

The city council has targeted eight areas with more than 60 roads which will benefit from new lampposts and repairs to existing ones.

They will feature white lighting which allows colours to be seen more easily, and the clarity of vision will act as a deterrent to street criminals.

Executive member for assets and development Cllr Peter Millea, said: ?This is part of a project we started five years ago.

?Since then we have put up or converted more than 3,000 new street lights.

?They have made a difference to people?s lives. Surveys in those areas where we have improved the lights found that 70% of people felt more positive about their neighbourhood and there was a big increase in the number of people who felt safer at night.?

He added that the scheme would be paid for through the working neighbourhood fund over the next year, and that residents, community safety teams and Merseyside police were supportive of the plans.

As a result of the scheme, there will be better lighting close to youth clubs, care homes, schools, student housing and pubs and clubs.

Areas which will benefit from the scheme in the coming months are the Armhill Road area of Croxteth, the Oakfield Road area of Anfield, Smithdown Road and Gainsborough Road in Wavertree and Stapleton Avenue in Speke.

The scheme will also be rolled out in Davidson Road in Old Swan, Lodge Lane in Toxteth and in two phases at Boaler Street in Kensington.

Work should begin early next year and be finished by March.

marcwaddington@liverpoolecho.co.uk
    Become A Supporter 👇

Donate Via PayPal

Donate

I grew up in Waterloo, and now live in Aigburth, and have noticed that South L'pool is really poorly lit.

Aigburth Vale, Ashfield Road and near Sevvie Park especially.

I complained to Sefton council about poor lighting on the only road entrance to our estate. the only other light nearby was hidden by trees.

2 days later I got an email saying they agreed and a new light would be put in.

amazingly the trees where cut back and a new lamp installed, just waiting for Manweb to put some lecky through it now.

whole thing took 6 weeks...I'm impressed.

we're lucky compared to some councils around the country who are turning street lights off to save their energy bills!
    Proud Scouser, with a dabbling of Welsh and Irish.

bore yourself silly at my Flickr page...anorak central!