Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Garston Hospital

Default Garston Hospital

It seems plans are at an advanced stage to demolish the old hospital and replace with a new building. As well as the current outpatient facilities at the hospital, it's anticpated that there will be a GP medical practice in the building as well as a dental practice. The building will have no in patient beds.

I understand the medical practice and pharmacy at the Banks Rd Garston Village Hall are to relocate to the hospital.

See consultation details:

South Liverpool Consultation

Blog Entries

I would NOT like to see the old building demolished.
    Become A Supporter 👇

Donate Via PayPal

Donate

Just about the nicest building in Garston, and still looks in good condition, surely they cannot be allowed to pull it down!

Default Click on line

My last year in Blessed John Almond I was practicing the wrist action to click my fingers so I could join the Allerton click. I practiced so much I sprained my wrist and was sent to Garston hospital where you waited ages. I think it is worth saving as much of old Garston seems to be vanishing.
    Oh as I was young and easy in the mercy of his means,
    Time held me green and dying
    Though I sang in my chains like the sea.

Dylan Thomas

Default Garston Hospital

Quote Originally Posted by Kev View Post
    I would NOT like to see the old building demolished.
    Agreed. No doubt the facade could be saved as in for example Central Libary and Liverpool Museum which were bombed in WW2 and rebuilt. It's all a matter of cost really. However the health authority are not in the business of saving historic buildings. An equally worrying aspect is the move of the GP practice and associated Pharmacy from the Village Hall in Banks Rd to the new hospital site. This cannot be good for the people living "under the bridge".

Who Is that high to be demolishing a good building?
    Gididi Gididi Goo.

Default Garston Hospital demolition

According to the Liverpool Primary Care Trust's consulation document noted in post #1, the decision had already been taken to demolish the Garston Hospital, and the consultation questionaire didn't ask that whether the local people would like to preserve the building. It seems the building will be built by a private company, Assura, who will contract run it in conjunction with local GPs, dentists etc in a novel form of co-partnership agreement. In other similar projects, Assura has set up their own pharmacy in such centres

Assura Group Website - Home

Interestingly in another of Assura's projects, Litherland Town Hall Health Centre, the company won an award earlier this year for the quality of their design in retaining the whole building. If this can be done at Litherland, why not in Garston. Surely Garston Hospital is as architecurally important as Litherland Town Hall. At the very least health authority should preserve the front facade of the building with new build behind.

See Assura's PR release:

20 March 2008

Assura is proud to announce that one of its most innovative LIFT partnership buildings, the Litherland Town Hall Health Centre, has been announced joint winner of the 'Best Design' award from a shortlist of three at the inaugural National LIFT Awards.

The aim of the awards is to recognise the success of all partners involved from both the public and private sectors, and celebrate the individuals and organisations that are transforming the delivery of community based health and social care.

Litherland Health Centre was an ambitious project that saw the old Town Hall transformed into a new primary care health centre, bringing additional services closer to home and contributing to local regeneration.

The most challenging aspect of the design was the requirement to retain the original building, which placed enormous constraints on the designers to meet the codes and guidance that ensure safe and effective clinical procedures in new health care facilities.

Operational in September 2005, the building was provided by Liverpool and Sefton Health Partnerships Limited, a public private partnership between Liverpool and Sefton PCTs, Community Health Partnerships and gbconsortium in which Assura LIFT Holdings Limited is a major shareholder.

The health centre features an open, double-storey reception and waiting area with a gallery at first floor level. The design maximises natural light and creates a welcoming hub and focal point.
    The 24-hour walk-in facility has a separate entrance from where patients can be triaged in preparation for treatment, allowing for the separate operational policies for this area of the building.

Speaking at the event, Elaine Siew, managing director of Assura LIFT Holdings said: "We are delighted to have received this prestigious award from a field of stiff competition.

"Winning the 'Best Design' category is particularly impressive given that we were constrained by a listed building. Litherland Town Hall Health Centre has not only provided better access to health services for patients, it has also preserved part of the town's history."

Two other partners within the LIFT consortium also picked up awards. Galliford Try picked up the ?Best Supply Chain Partner? award and Grant Thornton scooped the ?Best Advisor? award.

ENDS

Press enquiries regarding Assura Group and Assura Property to:

Andrew McKeon, AJM Public Relations.
    Tel: 01423 734 560; Mobile: 07802 484 155

Louise Bathersby, Assura Group.
    Tel: 020 7107 3830

I want what these architects are smoking yo!

Can't they build another mini hospital around there? That part of Garston Is looking more and more awful the more building projects they have.

Garston Is looking like a mixture of a ghetto and an old fashioned village.

the consultation questionaire didn't ask that whether the local people would like to preserve the building.
    They leave out what won't suit them.
    Gididi Gididi Goo.

Blog Entries

After reading the Garston News, there has been mention of getting the Picture House opposite listed.
    Become A Supporter 👇

Donate Via PayPal

Donate

Default Garston Hospital

Here's some photos of Garston hospital. Surely it's too good a piece of architecture to demolish for some derivative stainless steel design.

see

http://www.liverpooldailypost.co.uk/...4375-22891546/

Also one of the old Empire Music Hall and Cinema, now closed
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	#1 Sir Alfred Jones memorial Hospital Garston Liverpool Viewed from Church Rd DSC06025R.jpg 
Views:	662 
Size:	426.6 KB 
ID:	9388   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	#3 Sir Alfred Jones memorial Hospital Garston Liverpool Viewed from Church Rd DSC06026R.jpg 
Views:	662 
Size:	396.0 KB 
ID:	9389   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	#13 Old Empire Music Hall and Cinema opposite Garston Hospital Liverpool DSC06048R.jpg 
Views:	563 
Size:	339.8 KB 
ID:	9390  

Great pics Taffy once again.
    www.inacityliving.piczo.com/

Updated weekly with old and new pics.

Quote Originally Posted by Kev View Post
    After reading the Garston News, there has been mention of getting the Picture House opposite listed.
    English Heritage appraised the old Empire Theatre in 2003 and 2006 and did not consider it merited being given listed status. Let's hope the same is not true of Garston Hospital

Quote Originally Posted by taffy View Post
    Here's some photos of Garston hospital. Surely it's too good a piece of architecture to demolish for some derivative stainless steel design.

see

http://www.liverpooldailypost.co.uk/...4375-22891546/

Also one of the old Empire Music Hall and Cinema, now closed
    Thanks, Taffy! Fine work.

Chris
    Christopher T. George
    Editor, Ripperologist
    Editor, Loch Raven Review
    http://christophertgeorge.blogspot.com/
    Chris on Flickr and on MySpace

From last weeks' planning applications:

Application No: 09F/0357 Agent (if any): Mr C Oates
    Case Officer: Development Control South
    Ward: Speke-Garston
    Proposal:
    To erect temporary facilities at Garston Urban Village Hall prior to demolition of Sir Alfred Jones Memorial Hospital

Garston Urban Village Hall Mr S Holland Liverpool & Sefton Health Partnership
    Banks Road The Tea Factory
    Liverpool 3rd Floor
    L19 2JZ 82 Wood Street
    L1 4DQ

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast