Quote Originally Posted by Spike View Post
    Nice photos

I have a few here SpikeSayCheese

Scroll down for todays pics

It was nice to see the crowd is getting larger each year
    great photos Spike

you must have been quite close to where I was standing
    If you can't dazzle them with brilliance,baffle them with bull

http://www.bmycharity.com/laurenrobinson please give generously to childrens cancer charity Clic sergent

Blog Entries

Brilliant pictures averyone,I would have liked to have been there,but the pics helped fill a void. As to the arm swinging when marching, you march easier when your arms keep time with your legs.Trying to march with your arms at your sides is a bit like Irish dancing,very hard and needs lots of practise.

Excellent photos, Robbo and Spike. Thank you for sharing.
    There is more power in the open hand than the clenched fist

Can't say I've been a big fan of that video screen but it really came into its own today - what a good use of it.

May we never forget.

Default Forever 19

Thank you for the sentiments and photographs everyone. The only thing I can think about now is that yours and my poor relatives may have fought battles and a "Great War" and won freedom for us through their dripping blood, clotting on cold, congealing mud. But what a sham our freedom is today for our brave boys when we are turning on each other and stabbing and shooting our fellow human beings in the same cold blood as when they did all those years ago on foreign soils. What price freedom?.....It seems it's too cheap today. Some of the scum of today should have a glimpse of what our forefathers went through to give them the freedom of todays world, and perhaps, perhaps, there might be a bit more tolerance, harmony, and love mingling in our streets and roads today.

I have several relatives that have been left on "Flanders Field" who will always remain 19. I am glad that they are not here today to see the legacy that they fought for but has gone so bloody sour.

R.I.P. FOREVER 19

Well said Potter.
    www.inacityliving.piczo.com/

Updated weekly with old and new pics.

Same here. I think all that fought (and died) would be appalled at the state of our country and our so-called freedom. Freedom, where pensioners can't even go out of the house without fear of being threatened by some little scumbag...and in some cases not only pensioners...
    It is Accomplished

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Mark R View Post
    Same here. I think all that fought (and died) would be appalled at the state of our country and our so-called freedom. Freedom, where pensioners can't even go out of the house without fear of being threatened by some little scumbag...and in some cases not only pensioners...
    That depends on where you live, and it is quite wrong to pass that off as the norm.
    The new Amsterdam at Liverpool?
    Save Liverpool Docks and Waterways - Click

Deprived of its unique dockland waters Liverpool
    becomes a Venice without canals, just another city, no
    longer of special interest to anyone, least of all the
    tourist. Would we visit a modernised Venice of filled in
    canals to view its modern museum describing
    how it once was?

Giving Liverpool a full Metro - CLICK
    Rapid-transit rail: Everton, Liverpool & Arena - CLICK

Save Royal Iris - Sign Petition

nice to see the pics of yesterday. I wasn't able to make it into town this year, but I'll be taking my gt uncles Remembrance cross down tomorrow.
    Proud Scouser, with a dabbling of Welsh and Irish.

bore yourself silly at my Flickr page...anorak central!

Quote Originally Posted by Spike View Post
    As we approach the 90th anniversary of the end of world war one we will rightly remember those that gave their lives in all wars and conflicts. Yet do we only remember those that died? what of the injured and crippled, and those that came home with mental problems? what of the woman? so many helped the injured and dying on the fronts and at home, So many had to bring up families alone, so many woman and children had to carry on with life with so many of the men dead or harmed in one way or another.

Three of my direct blood relatives died in the two world wars. Of course I am saddened by their stories and remember them. Yet i remember my great uncle Dick, he came home from ww2 in 1947 after fighting in Burma. He stayed with my dad and his mum ( uncle Dicks sister ) my dad remembers him screaming in the night and his mum rocking him to calm him down. What nightmares he held he hid from us kids, he was a funny guy to be around.

Of course we respect the dead, they lie in so many corners of the world, so far from home. their names stand proud on memorials and I would not have it any other way.

I know one member on this site ( its up to them to tell you who they are if they want to) who's grandfather came back from ww1 in a bad state after being gassed. Now this guy suffered badly and died in 1926, in my opinion from what happened to him in the war. He has no war grave or name on a memorial, yet his story is just as important as those that died during wartime.

Im waffling on so I will keep it short. Remember them all, all the men, woman and children on all sides who had to endure this terrible time. and remember those who are still here with us, those that have the stories to tell.

bless them all

Hi Spike

Your post is important. I wonder if you would allow me to copy it to a First World War site that I have recently joined? Thanks for considering this request, Spike.

Chris
    Christopher T. George
    Editor, Ripperologist
    Editor, Loch Raven Review
    http://christophertgeorge.blogspot.com/
    Chris on Flickr and on MySpace

Yes Chris feel free to use it.
    BE NICE......................OR ELSE

Thank you Spike, only just seen that and thank you for mentioning and remembering my grandad. I didn't know him but as a father now who had a fantastic upbringing from my dad who wasn't rich in money but was rich in humanity, love and common sense, think sadly now of him being deprived of his dad at aged just 6, he can remember his dad buying him a bike though once.

It also goes to show that there's little truth in using the fact of not having two guiding parents as an excuse for skullduggery if you can show yourself to be responsible for your own actions. I wonder if losing his dad to WWI injuries was a deciding factor in him volunteering for duties for WWII - so many questions I should have asked but didn't.

Thanks again as your posting is spot on.
    www.inacityliving.piczo.com/

Updated weekly with old and new pics.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12