Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Remember them all

Default Remember them all

As we approach the 90th anniversary of the end of world war one we will rightly remember those that gave their lives in all wars and conflicts. Yet do we only remember those that died? what of the injured and crippled, and those that came home with mental problems? what of the woman? so many helped the injured and dying on the fronts and at home, So many had to bring up families alone, so many woman and children had to carry on with life with so many of the men dead or harmed in one way or another.

Three of my direct blood relatives died in the two world wars. Of course I am saddened by their stories and remember them. Yet i remember my great uncle Dick, he came home from ww2 in 1947 after fighting in Burma. He stayed with my dad and his mum ( uncle Dicks sister ) my dad remembers him screaming in the night and his mum rocking him to calm him down. What nightmares he held he hid from us kids, he was a funny guy to be around.

Of course we respect the dead, they lie in so many corners of the world, so far from home. their names stand proud on memorials and I would not have it any other way.

I know one member on this site ( its up to them to tell you who they are if they want to) who's grandfather came back from ww1 in a bad state after being gassed. Now this guy suffered badly and died in 1926, in my opinion from what happened to him in the war. He has no war grave or name on a memorial, yet his story is just as important as those that died during wartime.

Im waffling on so I will keep it short. Remember them all, all the men, woman and children on all sides who had to endure this terrible time. and remember those who are still here with us, those that have the stories to tell.

bless them all

BE NICE......................OR ELSE

I will be ringing half muffled church bells on sunday to play my part.

Lest we forget.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Spike View Post
    As we approach the 90th anniversary of the end of world war one we will rightly remember those that gave their lives in all wars and conflicts. Yet do we only remember those that died? what of the injured and crippled, and those that came home with mental problems? what of the woman?
    One grandfather fought in the Boar war and WW1, as a sergeant or sergeant-major. He died well before I was born, but my mother said he had terrible scars on his arm. After the war he was de-mobbed and went straight into a recession. He ended up being evicted from his rather nice home with his family - one member being my mother.

The other grandfather was 36 when WW1 broke out and never volunteered. Sensible man.

My great uncle was No. 2 on a large Cunard Liner (he had a captains ticket). He was in charge wen the ship ran aground in Newfoundland with 18,000 Canadian troops destined for France. The ship sunk. The family thought he went down with the ship. Subsequent information was that no one was lost on the ship as it sunk slowly in shallow water. He disappeared into the USA or Canada leaving a wife and two children back in Liverpool. Why? We think the shame of taking down a large liner.

His wife was a member of a team of volunteers in WW2 that attended to wounded seamen, of all nationalities, in Liverpool when they docked. A lot of U-Boat crew members too. She never re-married.

Two families affected.
    Last edited by Waterways; 11-07-2008 at 09:58 PM.
    The new Amsterdam at Liverpool?
    Save Liverpool Docks and Waterways - Click

Deprived of its unique dockland waters Liverpool
    becomes a Venice without canals, just another city, no
    longer of special interest to anyone, least of all the
    tourist. Would we visit a modernised Venice of filled in
    canals to view its modern museum describing
    how it once was?

Giving Liverpool a full Metro - CLICK
    Rapid-transit rail: Everton, Liverpool & Arena - CLICK

Save Royal Iris - Sign Petition

At the going down of the sun and in the morning
    We will remember them

God bless them all

Location Kensington drone_pilot's Avatar

one of the best anti war songs ever written was by Eric Bogel it was called the green fields of france.

Music video on youtube

listen to it and try and keep a dry eye if you can, it still brings a lump to my throat, every time i hear it.
    Last edited by drone_pilot; 11-08-2008 at 11:50 PM.
    multi multa; nemo omnia novit

Blog Entries

We owe a lot to those who fought - and those who lived an died - in both world wars.

We don't really know how much we owe them - that is the sad aspect of all this.
    The new Amsterdam at Liverpool?
    Save Liverpool Docks and Waterways - Click

Deprived of its unique dockland waters Liverpool
    becomes a Venice without canals, just another city, no
    longer of special interest to anyone, least of all the
    tourist. Would we visit a modernised Venice of filled in
    canals to view its modern museum describing
    how it once was?

Giving Liverpool a full Metro - CLICK
    Rapid-transit rail: Everton, Liverpool & Arena - CLICK

Save Royal Iris - Sign Petition

DRONE PILOT AS I WRITE THIS WITH A LUMP IN MY THROAT AND A TEAR DOWN MY CHEEK I AM LISTENING TO THE SONG I HAVE NEVER HEARED IT BEFORE BUT I WILL BE GETTING A COPY.

Blog Entries

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Remembrance Weekend

Did?nt need an alarm call this morning, anticipation had me awake ,anticipation of the service of Remembrance that I was to attend in Birmingham. As I stood in the shower ,washing off the nights slumbers, I recalled that 50 years ago this very morning ,I was stood in the showers at Gravesend Sea Training School, getting ready to depart to the Royal Albert Hall ,to take part in the British Legions Festival of Remembrance. The images came flooding back of we lads struggling to get into the boiled and starched white shirts with the separate collars. Studs had to be used to attach the collars to shirt and the collars were like celluloid, cut your throat if you turned your head fast enough. This was the first time any of us had ever worn such fancy items. The creases in our trousers were knife edged and our boots were gleaming like mirrors, thus kitted up we were loaded on to a motor coach and driven through London to the mighty Albert Hall ,stopping first at Derry and Thoms department store to have a wonderful cooked breakfast in its rooftop restaurant..
    We were not seated in groups but were dispersed amongst the throng of diners who were all taking some part in the days festivities .Thus it was that I found myself seated opposite a Chelsea Pensioner who was a veteran of the Boer War, next to him sat an army officer with gold tabs on his collar and a triple row of ribbons on his chest, a pretty young Wren sat on my left and an R.N. rating sat on my right. I was totally overawed; as I sat staring at the array of cutlery before the officer winked and motioned that I should start from the outside and work in.
    Such were my memories as I made myself ready this morning, clean white shirt,collar attached this time, Masonic tie and cufflinks , grey trousers ,with creases just as sharp as those of yesteryear, and shoes you could see your face in. Silver M.N. badge pinned to my lapel ,and beneath that ,a little blue forget-me- not, in remembrance of those who died in the death camps of WW11. A blood red poppy on my left lapel and my sailors cap with its Training School badge, I was ready for the service.
    The temple was full of people of all races. religions , sexes and ages. A Christian priest presided over the prayers and the room resounded to the opening hymn ?Oh God our help in ages past?. This was not a celebration of war , but a remembrance of its horrors and the losses of loved ones. Overhead , at the rear of the temple the silvery tones of a bugle sounded as the Last Post was played, a tune so redolent of pain and loss; as the last notes faded we stood in silence for two minutes, the standard bearer with his ensign pointed to the floor. Those two minutes were long and sombre, a time for old men to remember their lost comrades and for young men to see how the old were united in their ,still painful, sense of loss. As the silence ended Reveille was sounded and old sweats ,eyes aglitter with unshed tears ,saluted. The Lords Prayer followed ,voiced by all and sundry regardless of creed ,and the national Anthem was sung with a gusto that I had?nt heard since I was at school. We did?nt rush away after the service, people gathered in little groups, chatting and recalling times past. I was invited to dinner by a man I had only met there this morning , it was a splendid occasion ,one which will be repeated throughout Britain and all those Dominions that fought on the fields of war in the last century ,and , sadly ,this one too.
    Lest we Forget??

Default we will remember them..

bless them all[/QUOTE]
    well said, "i will be there suited and booted on lime street",,

Keeping It Real !!!!!!!!! ItsaZappathing's Avatar

Yeah bless em' all.
    May we never forget!

Blog Entries

Remembrance Day 2008

Lest we forget
    Last edited by robbo176; 01-15-2009 at 10:46 AM. Reason: removal of photos
    If you can't dazzle them with brilliance,baffle them with bull

http://www.bmycharity.com/laurenrobinson please give generously to childrens cancer charity Clic sergent

Nice photos

I have a few here SpikeSayCheese

Scroll down for todays pics

It was nice to see the crowd is getting larger each year

Keeping It Real !!!!!!!!! ItsaZappathing's Avatar

Cracker pics Spike.

Great pics Robbo176..and Spike.. ta for sharing..

I have a question..:"Why do they put their arms out in their marches? " Wondered how this style has come to be? Ta..

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast