Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Liverpool Pals

Hi Spike can you see what you can "dig up" on my Great Uncle John Henry Williams he was born in 1898 and died of his wounds on the 22nd of October 1917 at home nursed by his Mum and my Nan,he is buried in Toxteth Park, I have not put him on your site but should do , he was the second son of my Great Grandparents to die in WW1 his elder brother George had died in February the same year.
    His number was 285053 in the Welsh regiment and 204272 in the Liverpool regiment.

Will do Squiggs

It will be later as I have to go out now.

First on me agenda when I get in.
    BE NICE......................OR ELSE

Quote Originally Posted by Spike View Post
    Will do Squiggs

It will be later as I have to go out now.

First on me agenda when I get in.
    Thanks Spike

Hi Squiggs

Nothing coming up on the service or pension records sorry. Only about 10% survived the WW2 bombings.

The Soldiers that died disc list him as being born and enlisting in Liverpool.

Notes he was formerly 204272 Kings Liverpool Regiment. And that he died of wounds in the UK.

Do you have his medal card?

If not its here.

Sorry not much info for you.

Quote Originally Posted by Spike View Post
    http://www.lps-athletics.co.uk/histo...asse/index.htm

Noel and his twin brother Christopher. Info on their athletics career and the 1908 Olympics. Some good pics here.
    I'm mentioned on page 48 on that site! Me and Robbie Wood, the bloke who put the Chavasse page together for the site are still mates after 42 years.

Ged how do you order these certificates from Southport?

Its ages since I bought one.

C,mon peeps give me your rellies.

Im eager to look.

You just dont know what may turn up.

Me and Ged on this forum. Well our ancestors lived next door to one another in 1881. each family had a daughter aged about 9 so they probably played together. both families would have known each other.

Strange aint it 129 years later and heres me and Ged.

I found my great-uncle's attestation papers. He was living in the US when WW1 started and went to Canada to join up. He was in the 16Bn Manitoba Regt. He died of wounds in a German POW camp in 1915.

http://www.collectionscanada.gc.ca/d...&id_nbr=314582

His brother George, my grandad, joined the Royal Artillery in 1914. In 1939, he joined the TA. When WW2 started, he was sent to an anti-aircraft battery in Birkenhead. There was no proper AA gun and all they had was a Lewis gun! He was later sent to the Western Desert. He was discharged in 1943. He worked on the railway all his working life (apart from the wars) on the Permanent Way. He wouldn't have a word said against Aussies or Kiwis because he had served with then in both wars.

I'd just like to say what a mate Spike is for finding things out about my family which I never knew. Where they lived etc. Thanks Spike!

Thanks for trying Spike !....
    You can put John Henry on your site (if you want to !)..sorry no pictures survive !
    My Great Uncle John Henry was the third son of George and Jane (nee Cobain) Williams,born in 1898 he went against his families wishes and enlisted in the Army.
    He started Army life with the Liverpool regiment but was transfered to the Welsh regiment.
    He was wounded in 1917 and was transfered home where his parents collected him from Aldershot dispite the best of care and constant nursing from his mother and sister (my Nan) Sarah Ann Roe he sadly died on the 22nd of October 1917 just a few months after the death of his elder brother George.
    He was buried in Toxteth Park with full honours

Not Liverpool, but it dont half hit you in the heart.

Captain Charlie May, 22nd Manchester Regiment. Writing home to his wife on 16th June 1916. 2 weeks before the Battle of The Somme began.

" I do not want to die… If it be that I am to go, I am ready.

But the thought that I may never see you or our darling baby again turns my bowels to water. I cannot think of it with even the semblance of equanimity. "

Charlie was killed in action on the first day of the Battle of the Somme. 1st July 1916.

Blog Entries

Dreadful Spike. I seen some diaries in the IWM, they had an exhibition of them a while ago. Really sad.

Very sad and terribly moving story !....
    Any chance of putting John Henry Williams story on Spike ?, its on the previous page

Quote Originally Posted by squiggs View Post
    Very sad and terribly moving story !....
    Any chance of putting John Henry Williams story on Spike ?, its on the previous page
    Yep I will Squiggs.

A German soldier takes pity on a wounded man.

Then I caught sight of the first of the enemy. A figure crouched, wounded apparently, three metres in front of me in the middle of the pounded hollow of the road. I saw him start at the sight of me and stare at me with wide-open eyes as I walked slowly up to him holding out my revolver in front of me. A drama without an audience was ready. To me the mere sight of an enemy in tangible form was a release. Grinding my teeth, I pressed the muzzle to the temple of this wretch, whom terror now crippled, and with my other hand gripped hold of his tunic. With a beseeching cry he snatched a photograph from his pocket and held it before my eyes .... himself surrounded by a numerous family. I forced down my mad rage and walked past.
    (Ernst Junger; a German Storm-troop officer during the war.)

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast