Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: RAF Burtonwood

IS THERE NOT STILL PART OF BURTONWOOD AIR BASE
    OPEN THE THE FAR SIDE OF WARRINTON I KNOW IT WAS THERE IN THE LATE 80s.

YOU ARE RIGHT ABOUT THE AMERICANS CLAIMING EVERY THING,I HAVE NOT LONG FINISHED WORKING ON
    TWO AMERICAN AIR BASES IN SUFFOLK THE PEOPLE DOWN THERE WERE TELLING ME THE AMERICANS RAN EVERYTHING,NOT THAT I KNOW JUST WHAT I WAS TOLD.
    I MET A FEW AMERICANS THAT HAVE SETTLED THERE AND THEY SEEMED LIKE NICE PEOPLE.

I remember my nan telling me she and her friends were like screaming fans during the war when american soldiers were there (god i hope there arent any stealth americans in our family!!). Not sure how true this is (not the best with history) but wasnt the M62, or part of it, a runway?

The Burtonwood base/Control tower was used in the film "12 O'Clock high" featuring Gregory Peck.

Quote Originally Posted by underworld View Post
    The Burtonwood base/Control tower was used in the film "12 O'Clock high" featuring Gregory Peck.
    Which would have been quite appropriate.

My aircraft mechanic is an ex-B17 pilot - 93 years old and still flies his own plane - and he has mentioned Burtonwood many times. The B-17s used it in WWII as a base for the UK end of transatlantic flights as well as a major maintenance base.

I'd ask him more, but he just left for a 2 week Panama cruise...

My mother's friend Heather (who passed way 2 weeks ago...RIP) had a funny Burtonwood story.

In the 70's she wanted to make a pumpkin pie at Thanksgiving time.
    She couldn't find a recipe (pre-Internet times, just to remind the youngsters......) so she called Burtonwood, and actually got through to the cook.
    His recipe was sized to feed a 100 minimum, and it did not translate well down to an individual pie - the pie never came out right...

I read somewhere that Burtonwood had the largest underground hospital in Europe... not sure if this was a real hospital or a storage facility.
    The runways have now been dug up and reduced to mountains of 'hardcore'.

Okie
    Never put anyone on a pedestal... THEY'LL LOOK DOWN ON YOU!

Blog Entries

Yea you are 100% right it was a hive of activerty way back in the '60s ( when I was still in my teen's fit, healthy and had the girls falling over me ( I wish) when I was a conductor for ST Helen's Corpration I remember working the 329 to Burtonwood all day, there were 4 buses that day doing a shuttle service ( one at each terminus, other two travelling oh what memories)

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12