Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: RAF Burtonwood

Default RAF Burtonwood

It seems that the old large hangars at Burtonwood are being demolished after 68 years.

Shame.

Last edited by johnmed; 10-30-2008 at 07:49 PM.

Thanks for the photos, certainly bring back memories.

I would have liked to think that they would have kept at least one for posterity, particularly when you think that the rest of RAF Burtonwood (or should I say USAF Burtonwood) has gone, but I suppose it depends on who has bought the land and what they are going to do with it. I suppose it is hard to imagine a brand new housing estate, with a World War 2 hangar stuck in the middle of it.

In the 50's and 60's Burtonwood was a really important base and at least should have someting to remember it by.

You're welcome. I've just got a new camera, so it was good practice! The best place to get photos from unfortunately is the M62. May have to 'break down' on the hard shoulder.

I feel the same about the place. First they put a motorway through it, then built the m'way services and junction, and well maybe we should just be grateful what is there has survived til now.

Terible shame tho.

Fred Dibnah had the job of felling the control tower there!

^Everyday's a schoolday.

Today:

Does anyone have any little known RAF Burtonwood facts. I have a loose connection with an RAF website and our select group really love stuff like this.

Any photo's would be appreciated too.

Please and Thankyou.
    I'm not starting a Nark,
    Do you worship at ANFIELD or Goodiston park?

Wonder if the "underground" area is still intact, heard many rumours about how big it was but never seen the proof!
    Was once stopped in the area (in the 80's) by (?) the Department of trade and transport, and searched for radio equipment. At the time i had an old "firestick cb ariel" on my car, at the time i was working for BT and had stopped there for my dinner on route to Culcheth, an argument was soon won by me producing a "fake" (honest) mi5 id, and a blank refusal for them to search my car. Must be summit still going on there (maybe the radar on top of the nearby water building) or the reports of a humming noise in the area that could only be heard by women (in the 80's) gives us a clue that something there is worth looking at.

Excellent Cadfael!

I used to go to RAF Burtonwood in the 1970s to service their photocopiers. There was one RAF officer on the gate, and everything else was American. They even drove on the wrong side of the road, which caused several near-misses.

I found it all a bit childish, they had a large picture of their commanding officer in the entrance, and had to change it every time there was an election.

All the power supplies were 100v 60Hz, which meant we had to import all the spares from America - but they seemed to have no trouble getting their hands on things - including lots of the local women from what I heard.

John

Wow, thanks for that John. How interesting. I've commuted past this place so many times, and known so little about it.

Was it classed as American 'soil' then?

Very much so. They had their own police force (armed), catering unit (bagels and donuts), and it was just like an outpost of the US of A. An awful lot of saluting going on everywhere, which I just ignored.

The RAF had a poky little office by the gate. It was officially an RAF base, but the Americans ran the show.

John

Quote Originally Posted by danensis View Post
    The RAF had a poky little office by the gate. It was officially an RAF base, but the Americans ran the show.

John

Does not matter where in the World you go the Americans take over I have served the Army and RAF in Britian and Abroad and no matter where I have been money always to go to American money. Even reportedly in the Gulf the Pog (cardboard currency) is based on the dollar.
    I'm not starting a Nark,
    Do you worship at ANFIELD or Goodiston park?

My grandaughter lives in Burtonwood village and sent me this via email >>
    "A potted history of the Airbase"

BBC - Liverpool Local History - The American Connection - Introduction to Burtonwood

My Army job took me to the airbase on numerous occaisions.
    It was one of the busiest bases during the Berlin Airlift.

Phredd
    In the days when we had nothing we had fun.
    If tomorrow starts without me, remember I was here.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast